The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   removing 5spd from donor car (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41916)

redlinedeath 11-17-2007 06:21 PM

removing 5spd from donor car

anyone have any idea roughly how long it would take to remove the trans, rear diff, master cyl, slave cyl, shifter assembly, pedal assembly and flywheel from a donor car? that is, with all the tools. and if anyone knows off hand the specific tools and sizing you need for any of this, go ahead and post them!:) thanks a bunch! i want to be as prepared as possible for this!

jeffast 11-18-2007 04:27 PM

depending on how mechanically experanced you are i would say between 2 and 8hrs.
it took me 2 hrs to get the pedal cluster and transmission out of the legacy i used as my donor car but the motor was already gone

redlinedeath 11-18-2007 05:08 PM

alright, thanks. so it will be a lengthy process. its ok, its for a good cause:)

benebob 11-18-2007 05:32 PM

Well assuming every bolt comes off, you're using air tools and it is on a lift maybe 3 hours. In a yard add 3 hours. If you run into any issues at all add 1-3 hours. Since you're asking I'm assuming it's your bleeding time add another 3 hours to do it right. If you haven't memorized what all needs to come off prior to doing it from a FSM add yet another 3 hours.;) Total 3-12 hours give or take.:D

Tools various extensions a 8. 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mm ratchets and wrenches. Breaker bar for the rear diff, phillips head screw driver. Pry pars and a BFH should do it.

redlinedeath 11-18-2007 06:23 PM

long story short, my father who i talk to once a moth for maybe 5 min found out about my 5spd plans, and contacted a guy he knows who owns a salvage yard somewhere in IL, and said the guy owes him so many favors, hell make it so hell just let me tow the whole donor car home for a few days, take what i need and tow it back, with the parts i dont need. i hope that works out. free 5spd swap!!?? awesome!! well, minus what i need done by tom. still not bad. we shall see! wish me luck, ill know in 2 days if i have a donor car or not!

AlcyoneDaze 11-19-2007 11:31 AM

thats awesome! take your time dissambling it. I was going to just hook some chains up to my neighbors Forrester and pull it in my garage, returning it the next day with a nice 3.54 automatic in its place :lol:

redlinedeath 11-19-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze (Post 509732)
thats awesome! take your time dissambling it. I was going to just hook some chains up to my neighbors Forrester and pull it in my garage, returning it the next day with a nice 3.54 automatic in its place :lol:

hahaha, theyd be in for a nice suprise!!!

svxcuseme 11-20-2007 09:30 AM

Don't forget to remove the pressure plate nuts

Don't forget to remove the pressure plate Bolts...not nuts..

Once you start to seperate the trans from the engine, you have about an inch of room between the two to remove the pressure plate bolts that hold it to the flywheel. I forgot about these when I removed my 5mt. I spent a good hour trying to pull it apart... like an idiot.

You will need a wrench for these bolts. Once you remove them it should just slide out! Good luck!