The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   trans Temp sensor location??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40562)

genzzel 09-01-2007 07:05 PM

trans Temp sensor location???

The question is -- where to put trans temp gauge sensor??? I put one in the drain plug today by drilling and tapping it-- kinda made sense to me, but I still question if this the right place. The line going to cooler would certainly give you readings of the "hottest" fluid; the return line would give you the "coolest". Of course this would work ok if the cooler is not plugged. Any input on this would be appreciated. keivn

TomsSVX 09-03-2007 12:26 PM

usually people install them in a filter kit that has a boss drilled and tapped already. In the pan you are getting a reading of the cooled fluid after it returns from the cooler. best bet is to measure it on the way out to get a high temp reading;)

Tom

genzzel 09-03-2007 04:37 PM

i moved it!!

Thanks for the input-was not really happy with it in the pan -- seemed slow and damped. I moved it to the trans out /cooler input line. I had read somewhere, maybe here, about putting it on the line instead of in the line. I cleaned off a small area of the steel line and attached the sensor with a clamp, then wrapped with duct tape. It works great!!!! Reads about 145 when the torque converter locks and seems to react with no lag. No fuss, no mess. Also flushed the cooler and now runs bout 180-190 at all speeds. Goes up a little in town when torque converter is working unlocked. I flushed the cooler with some fantastic stuff called Kooler Klean. Comes in pressurized can, just hook up and flush backwards thru cooler--amazing stuff. My fluid is clean and bright red, but the crap that came out of cooler with flush was incredible.:eek:

NiftySVX 09-06-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 490984)
usually people install them in a filter kit that has a boss drilled and tapped already. In the pan you are getting a reading of the cooled fluid after it returns from the cooler. best bet is to measure it on the way out to get a high temp reading;)

Tom

I didn't know such a kit existed. I need one, my sensor is currently in a hose T fitting I got at home depot and I need to nix the canister filter anyway. What is the best one and where can I get it??

ensteele 09-06-2007 01:50 PM

Do a search for transmission filter and you should find the links to the information on the PermaCool filters. If you need more info, let me know. :)

TomsSVX 09-06-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 491683)
I didn't know such a kit existed. I need one, my sensor is currently in a hose T fitting I got at home depot and I need to nix the canister filter anyway. What is the best one and where can I get it??

ACTUALLY, pm afbeefcake. I think he had one in his car that was really nice... Not to mention he just went 5mt so I doubt he will be needing it anymore:lol:

Tom

genzzel 09-06-2007 06:38 PM

www.summitracing.com

Check this site -- carry filters, coolers and all kinds of such goodies. Great service and fast shipping!!!!!