The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How good is your wheel ALIGNMENT ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39397)

svx_commuter 06-16-2007 06:01 PM

How good is your wheel ALIGNMENT ?

I want to know, mostly from a person with experence in this area,
just how good is that alignment machine?

I mean, how accurate is it?

I want to know how much the reading will change when the SVX is taken off the machine after an alignment is done, driven around the block and then put back up on the machine and the alignment read again.

This is a way to check the accuracy of the alignment machine. How repeatable is the machine? What is the accuracy of the machine?

Take care,
John

Trevor 06-16-2007 06:50 PM

You have posed a very interesting and pertinent question. The machines are as a rule not independently checked and can be out by a country mile.

All in all, you are relying on the skill and integrity of the operator. ;)

DarknessofDeath 06-16-2007 07:03 PM

i dont think that my mechanics' alignment machine is that good...the screen for the mech's to look at is out of focus...you'd have to stand quite far back or squint to make out a little on the screen...the machine is too old- it's got to go
besides from that...my steering wheel is ALWAYS off..even worse right now is that i'm steering about 1030-1100 just to get the thing to drive straight and it pulls to the right

ensteele 06-16-2007 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
i dont think that my mechanics' alignment machine is that good...the screen for the mech's to look at is out of focus...you'd have to stand quite far back or squint to make out a little on the screen...the machine is too old- it's got to go
besides from that...my steering wheel is ALWAYS off..even worse right now is that i'm steering about 1030-1100 just to get the thing to drive straight and it pulls to the right

Sounds like it is time to have the alignment done again, but maybe by someone else. :o

budbaer 06-16-2007 11:51 PM

I say, go somewhere corporate. If you go to a place that is well managed and people are held to high standards and there is accountability, you stand a better chance to have your car on a well calibrated machine. I bought new tires at Firestone and they did a 4 wheel alignment back in September and although the tires need to be rotated, it tracks straight as an arrow.

Anyone from Pittsburgh that needs an alignment I strongly recommend the Firestone on Banksville Rd.

budbaer 06-16-2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath

That was you 911th post. If this was a Porsche site, you would probably get a certificate to commemorate that moment.

DarknessofDeath 06-17-2007 07:38 AM

yeah...someone call 911 and get me arrested for making that number of posts

actually i did bring my car to subaru once to do the alignment...it took them over 3 hours to do nothing on it..i know because about 2 and a half hours i decided to go look at what was going on..nobody was working on my car..i watched for 10 minutes ...there was about 4 guys working on another car and 2 guys sitting in the corner doing nothing...i got my car back in another 40 minutes after i went back to the service desk to tell them that nobody is working on my car..and the guy called over there- their reply to him was that the car is almost done. go figure..

SVXRide 06-17-2007 11:46 AM

Your best bet is to go to a shop that is recommended by people that autoX or cirucuit race their cars. While the alignment will cost you more than it will at a "we do it all" shop, it will be "right". I only use Allen Automotive in Silver Spring, MD for my autoX alignments.
-Bill