The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Turbo Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Twin Turbo might move forward!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35012)

Jade Dragon 09-04-2006 01:39 AM

Twin Turbo might move forward!!!

so, i think i finally might be able to move forward with my TT setup. I sourced about 5 IHI RHB5s from various 80's subarus. turns out, given the right wastegate settings the RHB5 can push about 11#. The junk yard wants 55 each, so i can get a couple, clean them up and move forward. That is if the fiance and i can come to an agreement about it. These turbos are tiny so they can easly fit where i want to put them. If i can get the turbos, it shouldnt be long before i have a TwinTurbo running. :D :D :D

SVXBart 09-04-2006 02:36 PM

Go get them DRAGON:D :D :D

svxistentialist 09-05-2006 05:50 PM

Tt?

Best of luck with the project if you can get it going.

Just on a point relating to available power, I would have to say that using two turbos rather than one is more complication than you need to take on.

You will have to feed exhaust gas to each turbo, requiring fabrication on each side.

My brother has a 4cyl Forester Turbo from Japan, '97 model. It has only one turbo. It is a relatively big one, a TD04 I think it is, and the car makes about 240 hp.

Now if you run the maths on this, 4 cyls, 2 litres and one turbo producing 240 hp.
So the SVX with six cylinders, more than 50% more capacity, and using the same turbo setup, it has to deliver more than 360 hp. Plenty enough power I would say, for half the complication and the fabrication.

However, if you have your heart set on having a twin turbo SVX, I will look forward to seeing how the progress goes.:)

Keep us posted,

Joe

oab_au 09-05-2006 07:03 PM

Twin turbos.

Twin turbos on a six does fix the interferance problem that is caused in the header pipes joining before the turbo. I reckond that is why most six cylinder engines use them.

Harvey.;)

Jade Dragon 09-06-2006 12:07 AM

my thinking exactally. and this will involve less exhaust work. and the turbos i am looking at are small enough, to mount about halfway down. so less exhaust and cold tubing to fab up. Another reason, our headers just beg for a twin setup

svxistentialist 09-06-2006 02:14 AM

Sounds good.

Go for it, as my son would say....

:D

TomsSVX 09-06-2006 07:10 PM

might want to rethink location. Having had plans and SEVERAL parts for my TT setup I found the best location would be to remote mount them in front of the front tires. Get rid of the ABS and relocate the batt to the trunk. It is your best bet my friend

Tom

Jade Dragon 09-06-2006 10:41 PM

intersting idea. i might have to consider it. ill have to do some measurements. i think that the turbos i will get, will be small enough, and facing the correct direction to mount where i had planned... now for another issue i havent quite worked out. Will i need to run double MAF?

L.O.R.D. SVX 09-06-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
So the SVX with six cylinders, more than 50% more capacity, and using the same turbo setup, it has to deliver more than 360 hp. Plenty enough power I would say, for half the complication and the fabrication.

So is that the round-a-bout figure our cars pops out, turboed, for the people here who are at that level? If so that's awsome. We are talking about straight connection right, running 4-5 psi, no lowering compression, beefing nothing up?

Jade Dragon 09-06-2006 10:49 PM

my setup for now will run on stock internals. if all goes well with an engine on stand. i will make it a power monster. whole 9 yards. so this first TT will be kind of a test period.

TomsSVX 09-06-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Dragon
intersting idea. i might have to consider it. ill have to do some measurements. i think that the turbos i will get, will be small enough, and facing the correct direction to mount where i had planned... now for another issue i havent quite worked out. Will i need to run double MAF?

No you will not need to do that. You can run both intakes out of a single collector. Take a look at how a 300zx tt works and you will understand it better

Tom

Jade Dragon 09-06-2006 11:01 PM

cool. that will save me from doing lots of extra electronics work.

SVXRide 09-07-2006 08:31 AM

yeah, this can be done....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...Ride/38147.jpg

This is what Tom was talking about, re: going with a single MAF
(no A/C:mad: )

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...Ride/38148.jpg

(major kudos to PhatSuby!)

TomsSVX 09-07-2006 09:29 AM

Bill, the intakes before the turbo's is where you will need to place the MAF not post intercooler. It is a tricky setup and will require oodles of fab work and a lot of custom piping to be cut and welded

Tom

SVXRide 09-07-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Bill, the intakes before the turbo's is where you will need to place the MAF not post intercooler. It is a tricky setup and will require oodles of fab work and a lot of custom piping to be cut and welded

Tom

Tom,
Seems to me I read where there are some folks running their MAFs post intercooler...I'll have to go dig around and see if I can find how they made it work...
-Bill