The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Door panel removal... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27211)

Rob 07-07-2005 07:18 PM

Door panel removal...

Good evening SVXers.
I pushed down on the drivers side window switch and the entire window switch housing dropped down into the door about 1/4 of an inch. I can still use the windows but I prefer my baby to be functioning the way it should.
I searched for a how-to but could not locate anything. I know I have read someone having an easy way to remove the door panel, I could use your help!!
Thanks for the help,
Rob
Missoula MT

n00b on demand 07-07-2005 08:29 PM

There are 6 screws total that you will need to remove. 2 screws you will see if you open the door....its at the very front of the door. Then underneath the lever to open the door there is another screw hidden by a little plastic piece. Then inside the pocket on the door there are 3 screws that need to be removed. Once you remove them carefully pry the door panel away from the door itself...its help in by little plastic clips so be careful.

ensteele 07-08-2005 12:28 AM

Also there is a little plastic piece that needs to pop out so the door handle can come out. If you don't do that, you may crack the plastic on the door pannel. :)

msvx95 07-08-2005 03:43 AM

That happened in my legacy a few years back....the plastic broke that held the switch assembly to the door.......I had to order the molded piece that attached to the door...plus I couldn't get all the clips on because my hands weren't small enough, but I was able to securely attach the switch to the door.

Don't forget to disconnect the switch and the door light

dcarrb 07-08-2005 06:35 AM

With all the screws removed, gently pull the door panel straight outward from the bottom, then lift it upward to release the top.

dcb

Earthworm 07-08-2005 11:47 AM

There's 3 screws that hold the window switch in place. The "ears" of the switch are likely broken off. I had that happen, I just glued it back on. It's been fine ever since.

svxistentialist 07-11-2005 05:38 AM

Minor correction..

Soobie svx93 is correct except for one detail. Inside the pocket, you only need to release 2 screws at the base of the pocket. The little one at the front of the pocket only holds the plastic moulding to the door skin, does not hold the door skin to the frame. So leave this little one in place :)

For taking the little plastic piece out at the door handle; you will see a slot on the inside,,screwdriver blade size. It needs pushing down to disengage the "clicker", then drawing inwards to let it free of the catch. I found a screwdriver useless for this. It damages the plastic piece, keeps slipping off as you try to draw the plastic inwards. My advice, use a sharp point penknife, ignore the screwdriver blade shape of the slot. Push down into the slot with the knife point till it disengages, draw the blade inwards to clear the plastic from the slot. Then release upwards, out it pops.

When you have it out, then take out the small golden domehead screw from under the handle.

Assuming at this point you have already removed the two self tappers at the front of the panel, then the bottom and two sides of the doorpanel will have pop-in plastic connectors holding it in place. Pulling out firmly but gently will release all these around. Then the door panel lifts up and off. You will find two connectors to unclip, a cream one for the electric windows and a pink one for the door trailing edge light.

That's it.

Joe :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
There are 6 screws total that you will need to remove. 2 screws you will see if you open the door....its at the very front of the door. Then underneath the lever to open the door there is another screw hidden by a little plastic piece. Then inside the pocket on the door there are 3 screws that need to be removed. Once you remove them carefully pry the door panel away from the door itself...its help in by little plastic clips so be careful.

Rob 07-12-2005 04:09 PM

Thanks for the help, I appreciate you all!!! :)