The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone try Dunlop Sport SP A2? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2458)

GT 01-13-2002 06:30 AM

Anyone try Dunlop Sport SP A2?

Has anyone tried the Dunlop Sport SP A2 tires? Comparing info on tirerack, they look very good as an all season tire. Just thought I would run it by you folks first.

I was going to get dedicated winter tires, Blizzaks, but extra rims are going to be $650!

wawazat?? 01-13-2002 07:46 AM

I bought a set about a month and a half ago. They seem to be decent tires. Quiet (so far) and good drip. Haven't really experienced them in the snow yet. I realize this may not offer much help, but any tire is better than the Pirelli P7000 SS as far as noise is concerned!

montypython 01-13-2002 08:15 AM

A couple of months ago I opted for the SP5000 over the A2. So far I have been delighted although I have not had the chance to try them in snow yet (touch wood) :D
I hear that the A2 is an excellent tire, but then I've been a Dunlop user since ........ a long time anyway, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks, right Ron ;)
Ah yes, I can remember the days of driving past a once proud Fort Dunlop in Birmingham but now the place has been "renovated" and is apparantly serving the public in the form of upscale shops and apartments (or Flats as we say).
Enough reminiscing, back to the topic - Dunlop have been pushing the A2 in the mags, etc so I suspect they've come up with a pretty decent tire ( or tyre as we say) :p

SVXphile 01-13-2002 04:45 PM

Dunlops

< Quiet (so far) and good drip>

OK...so we know they shed water well...how do they GRIP? :D (Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :rolleyes: )

Colin: I was very pleased with my old Dunlops's so I will probably go with the newer ones this spring. I am running (well, WOBBLING with my bent rim) an half-used set of Continental Touring Contacts at the moment. This is my first winter without Dunlop Graspics all-around; my old set finally wore out and I can't afford a new set right now. :( Don

wawazat?? 01-13-2002 07:26 PM

Re: Dunlops

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
< Quiet (so far) and good drip>

OK...so we know they shed water well...how do they GRIP? :D (Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :rolleyes: )

When the DRIP is behind the wheel, they GRIP very well. Don, that is one of the nicer things I have been called recently!:)

SVXphile 01-13-2002 08:47 PM

<that is one of the nicer things I have been called recently!>

Not YOU Wawazat! The tires! :D
"From the wheels that drip, to the wheels that grip"...Don :)

Ron Mummert 01-13-2002 09:01 PM

[I hear that the A2 is an excellent tire, but then I've been a Dunlop user since ........ a long time anyway, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks, right Ron ;)

Not easy, Monty. However, it's neither the drip nor the grip, that can lead to the flip; it's the box from which you (I) sip.
OK, Don - let'r rip - I'm hip.
Ron the Dip.

deadeye95 01-13-2002 09:54 PM

Have Dunlop D60A2's

This version is a great tire! Look to get 40K plus out of them just like the original Bridgestones...

Tried to impress myself by spending $800 on Pirelli 7000's for my second set of tires, but they lasted 24K and got flats from everything on the road - including a bolt (as in nut and bolt).

You will be getting an HR instead of a VR rating, so keep it under 130 MPH.

Mr. Pockets 01-14-2002 09:03 AM

I also have D60A2 JLB tires. They're my second set and I love them. But, since I am storing the car for winters now, I am thinking about putting on a 'summer' tire. I'll probably go with another set of Dunlops, because the D60 has really impressed me.

Green1995SVX 01-14-2002 10:11 AM

I'm running the A2's as my winter tire... not the best in cornering... GREAT in the snow... fairly quiet...

-Mike

GT 01-15-2002 05:58 PM

Thanks for the input. I ordered them and get them on Monday.

By the way, I had Falken Ziex speed rated tires on. Terrible in snow. So much so, that I thought the AWD was broke. I had the car back at Level 10 for its annual trans service, and told them to check it out. They put it in a snow covered lot and had to pull it out. They said no car, not even rear wheel drive, gets stuck there. Hence the new tires.