The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My greatest SVX discovery (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19483)

HighwayUFO 06-23-2004 01:40 PM

My greatest SVX discovery

So the other day I had the front of my car jacked up to remove a piece of scuff plastic at the bottom of the front bumper. In the process of removing the plastic, I notice this filter hanging from hoses near the raidator. I thought that my tranny was bone stock with no add-ons to prolong the life of the tranny, but this little filter made my day. Most people have the placement where you can easily see it looking down the gap between engine and battery, but mine is pretty well underneath and in the middle.

I was just ecstatic by this little discovery, and can rest a little easier at nights now. lol

Keith

Chiketkd 06-23-2004 01:50 PM

That's awesome Keith. Did you install an after-market tranny cooler or did the previous owner put one on as well?

-Chike

ensteele 06-23-2004 03:43 PM

I am glad to hear you are sleeping better at night! ;) :) It is always nice to find something you didn't know you had. :)

Subafreak 06-23-2004 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I am glad to hear you are sleeping better at night! ;) :) It is always nice to find something you didn't know you had. :)

I wouldn't say "Always".;)

SubaSteevo 06-23-2004 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
That's awesome Keith. Did you install an after-market tranny cooler or did the previous owner put one on as well?

-Chike

The filter was an afterthought by SOA after trannies kept dying. It was a recall, and just about all 92s should have had it done. However, I don't know if a 12 year old filter is doing any real "good". The filter costs about $40 from Subaru...but the Legacy campaign kit (which includes the same filter+a bracket and hoses) costs about $15. ;)

SVXer95 06-23-2004 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

The filter was an afterthought by SOA after trannies kept dying. It was a recall, and just about all 92s should have had it done. However, I don't know if a 12 year old filter is doing any real "good". The filter costs about $40 from Subaru...but the Legacy campaign kit (which includes the same filter+a bracket and hoses) costs about $15. ;)

Do you know the part number of the legacy kit? I have been meaning to change that filter...

SubaSteevo 06-23-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95

Do you know the part number of the legacy kit? I have been meaning to change that filter...

31099AA091 it's $9.53+s/h on subaruparts.com

dcarrb 06-24-2004 05:46 AM

Re: My greatest SVX discovery

Quote:

Originally posted by civic_slayer
In the process of removing the plastic, I notice this filter hanging from hoses near the raidator...

Most people have the placement where you can easily see it looking down the gap between engine and battery, but mine is pretty well underneath and in the middle.

"Hanging from hoses... underneath and in the middle..."

This is not the "campaign" filter.

dcb

red95svx 06-24-2004 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

I don't know if a 12 year old filter is doing any real "good".

I agree with you. But believe it or not Subaru transmission filters are supposed to be lifetime filters. There is no recommended replacement interval for them, and the only mention of using a new filter from Subaru is when the transmission is replaced. We have lots of customers who do change them on a regular basis, and it's a good idea, but it's not necessary.

Dave

SubaSteevo 06-24-2004 02:05 PM

Re: Re: My greatest SVX discovery

Quote:

Originally posted by dcarrb

"underneath and in the middle..."

This is not the "campaign" filter.

dcb

Missed that part...