The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2004 United States Grand Prix (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19334)

Mr. Pockets 06-16-2004 03:29 PM

2004 United States Grand Prix

I'll be there both Saturday and Sunday with my SVX parked in the car corral on both days. Anybody else going?

Chiketkd 06-16-2004 03:31 PM

Re: 2004 United States Grand Prix

I wish... One day in the next five years, my wife and I have promised each otehr that we'll be there. We love Formula 1 racing!!! :D

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I'll be there both Saturday and Sunday with my SVX parked in the car corral on both days. Anybody else going?

SVXphile 06-16-2004 08:06 PM

Indy

Can't make it this year....but I'll be there next year for sure.

Don

Bwana 06-17-2004 12:21 AM

My dad is still working on getting tickets...hopefully it'll work out.
If it does, I'll be in the Cummins box, and will be parked in the infield...in our Denali.

montypython 06-17-2004 12:08 PM

Re: 2004 United States Grand Prix

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I'll be there:D
Only question is if I'll be the SVX or the Outback.
Either way, I have the Corral pass so I'll look out for you.

Mr. Pockets 06-17-2004 12:40 PM

Re: Re: 2004 United States Grand Prix

Quote:

Originally posted by montypython

I'll be there:D
Only question is if I'll be the SVX or the Outback.
Either way, I have the Corral pass so I'll look out for you.

Oh, excellent. I know you don't visit the forums that much lately, so I meant to call you before the weekend.

Why not bring an XT? :) Anyway you'll probably have the only Outback if you bring it. Last year it was WRX WRX WRX WRX WRX WRX WRX WRX WRX WRX WRX SVX. :)

jttsvx 06-21-2004 08:12 AM

I wish I had known

Damn, I wish I had read this post before today....

My son and I go every year to the USGP, and this is the first year I have brought the SVX, I was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday, camping in LOT 4.

Last year there was a Teal SVX sitting on Georgetown, but I did not spot any others this year.

Oh well perhaps I will see you in 05.

John T

GreenMarine 06-21-2004 08:52 AM

I was glued to SPEED channel all weekend watching it. It's good to know that Ralf was alright... Kinda a sick looking crash when ya saw it in full speed... Once again though the two fire engines (Ferrari) blasted their way to the top!!!

Royal Tiger 06-21-2004 09:49 AM

How did Schumacher make a stop, the two BAR's didn't, and he was still in first during the yellow? Never did watch to get FIA's response to that.

UStifosi 06-21-2004 10:24 AM

I was there all 3 days. Wish we could have met up. I did see a red one in the parking lot on Friday. Didn't know if it was a member. Ralf's car came to a rest right smack in front of us after his crash. Met Trulli in the airport and Sato and a lot of BAR guys were on my return flight last night. Sato sat two rows in front of me.

Lots of WRX's and Evo's in the parking lot.

Royal Tiger 06-21-2004 10:46 AM

I'm sure after my last post, some of you might wonder why I follow the Honda's of all things. As much as I like M. Schumacher, I can't get into Ferrari. Porsche doesn't run (shame) and Toyota doesn't really do it for me. I can't go with Renault (french) and Mercedes is sinking like the Titanic, and BMW acts to elitist. I hate fords almost as much as anything french, so that takes care of Jag, Jordon, and Minardi, all ford powered. So that leaves BAR. As a plus, I watched the interview with Jensen Button on Saturday, and his racing suit has the same 555 Racing symbol as Petter's WRX in the WRC. So following BAR is like following Subaru!! Kind of a long trip, but I feel better now! :)

Chiketkd 06-21-2004 10:58 AM

That explains it all! ;)

I also like BAR, but my favorite 'under-dog' team is Renault. Fernando Alonso's driving skills just amaze me. That kid is GOOD! :)

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by PA_SVX
I'm sure after my last post, some of you might wonder why I follow the Honda's of all things. As much as I like M. Schumacher, I can't get into Ferrari. Porsche doesn't run (shame) and Toyota doesn't really do it for me. I can't go with Renault (french) and Mercedes is sinking like the Titanic, and BMW acts to elitist. I hate fords almost as much as anything french, so that takes care of Jag, Jordon, and Minardi, all ford powered. So that leaves BAR. As a plus, I watched the interview with Jensen Button on Saturday, and his racing suit has the same 555 Racing symbol as Petter's WRX in the WRC. So following BAR is like following Subaru!! Kind of a long trip, but I feel better now! :)

Mr. Pockets 06-21-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
That explains it all! ;)

I also like BAR, but my favorite 'under-dog' team is Renault. Fernando Alonso's driving skills just amaze me. That kid is GOOD! :)

-Chike

I don't think that if a team is supported in full by a big car manufacturer like Renault that they're an 'underdog.' That may be the image that they've cultivated, but they're hardly underfunded or anything.

The exception is Jaguar, who isn't given nearly what they need to be successful. But then Ford have said that they don't need Jag to be successful - they just need them to be there.

As for BAR, I have been nothing but impressed with how quickly David Richards has turned that team around, and I was cheering Button and Sato on.

Who am I kidding? I cheer everybody on. I'm a Ferrari fan at heart but I just want to see some great driving and I don't really care who it is.

Edit: My SVX was in the car corral and was, again, the only one in there. Not that anybody would have noticed - they had us park on the oval (again! WTF???) and they stuck the Subarus waaaay the hell out in the middle of nowhere.

SVXphile 06-21-2004 08:27 PM

I have the same question...and others

PA_SVX's question is the same one I had. The announcers were questioning it at the time, but never went back to the question later. That being how Michael could pit, and come out ahead of those that hadn't?

David Hobbs was wondering why they knew at the beginning that Montoya switching cars was not legal, but they let him run most of the race before he was black-flagged.

Why wasn't the race red-flagged so they could clean up the carbon fiber debris? Running over it caused Fernando and Ralf's accidents. I saw several cars run over large pieces....would you want to go out and do 200mph after that?

More importantly....why did it take so doggone long for help to reach Ralf? Obviously neither IRL/CART/or Nascar safety teams were in charge...

Other than these points, it was another demonstration of the superiority of Ferrari and especially Michael. Rubens tried to stick his nose under Michael once....and had the door slammed on him.
Then he pulled out to a nice safe distance and kept it there. We are truly watching racing history in the making.

Let's keep an eye on Sato....he's going to win one soon!