The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New SVX owner. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17489)

yellowledbetter 03-26-2004 11:59 PM

New SVX owner.

hello all. Just became a new SVX owner. Its a black 1992 for those interested, and the engine just turned to 80K miles a couple of weeks ago. My uncle had 2 (the other is also a 92, but pearl white) and i have been coveting the car ever since he got them like 6-7 years ago, and i finally was able to talk him into selling one. Anyway, just some questions i had:

1) is there any kind of special care/maintenence you guys would suggest? Anything out of the ordinary from most cars that i should keep in mind?

2) unfortunatly the stereo is busted (the cd player actually works, it just has a disc stuck in there). Putting in aftermarket players seems to be a pain from what i've read, so i was thinking of doing that WRX 6 disc switch. Will any model of WRX decks work? And i won't need the special wire harness, its just a clean switch, correct?

Bwana 03-27-2004 12:45 AM

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the family!

Try doing a search for any info you need. Both subjects have been discussed numerous times.

Good luck!

p.s. If you post pictures of your car, make sure the wheels are on right, or you'll never hear the end of it!

Alycone 03-27-2004 01:02 AM

Congrats on your SVX, good color choice. :)

ensteele 03-27-2004 09:27 AM

Welcome to the site.

You will still need a conversion plug that can be purchased from a member here to convert the WRX player to the proper configuration. Do a search on wire harness and it should come up. Good luck.
:)

HighwayUFO 03-27-2004 12:12 PM

as far as the stereo is concerned, it seems like a pain in the arse, but a little motivation will get the job done. I slid a pioneer deck in place of the cd player and left the origional upper tuner in place. Check my locker for pics. If you have any questions, PM me from your user CP and I can give you a decent walkthrough.

Congrats on your car and helcome home.

yellowledbetter 03-28-2004 12:42 AM

thanks for the help guys. Now i gotta try to track down one of them WRX stereos.

mudfoot76 03-30-2004 07:47 PM

Aftermarket stereo

My car came with the cassette deck only when I bought it. I shopped around for an aftermarket CD to replace. Since I am not a DIY when it comes to car audio, my problem was finding someone to do the install. My local Suby shop said they'd sell me an OEM CD deck and install, but I was not thrilled at the price they quoted. None of the other big chain stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) would touch the car. Luckily, I found a high-end retailer who agreed to give it a shot. Works like a charm -- Alpine system, hooked into the factory speakers, antenna, etc...all the chain store people said the company insurance wouldn't cover damage to "specialty" cars such as SVX.

The point being, unless you are up to doing it yourself, you might have trouble finding a place that will.

phlash 03-30-2004 09:21 PM

the guy that i got my svx from had put a JVC cd/tape head unit in it. and it is pretty nice. all the people i have shown it to are amazed by it. and my real good friends think it looks like a mini boombox. my best buddy wants to know why there are not speakers on the side of the head because it looks so much like a mini boombox. but it fits right on in there. its pretty damn nice too. with all of the the rest of the system stock.