The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   oh man, why me. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16279)

zavikan 02-08-2004 09:48 PM

oh man, why me.

Ok, Im going to murder my car soon. Shoot a bullet into her head. or maybe bird shot into the engine block...

Started the car today around 20 minutes before going out to leave, cause it was cold out and I wanted it to be nice and warm. by chance, the headlights had been left on for this time. when I got out there, everything was dim, and the ABS and airbag idiot lights were on. things were dim, like the battery was half dead. I shut the ignition off, wthout going anywhere, and try to start it again, nothing at all, not even a click, and all my lights were dim. put cables on it, and it started right up fine. lights were ok. reved the engine a bit, everything was fine.

left it another 20 minutes at a stop someplace, it did the samething. though I didnt shut it off this time, just reved it and idiot lights went out, headlights came back, interior lights came back..

Ok, Alternator problem right?or wrong? I dunno Where do I start, to diagnose/fix this problem.

GreenMarine 02-09-2004 06:55 AM

Dude, I only read about half of that but from what you said it is probably your Alternator... I have a 119amp altornator... That thing is kick @$$!!! The stock one is like 79amps or something... If ya want one like mine just shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do for ya...

petesvx2 02-09-2004 10:57 AM

I would guess an alt. problem also. Don't bother shooting the engine, that's the part thats bulletproof :)

Landshark 02-09-2004 05:35 PM

shoot car for a bad alternator?

what happens if your transmission goes.....nuclear holocaust? :D

greg 02-09-2004 06:15 PM

Wait!

Don't get that worked up, it is definatly the alternator. And trust me, of all the things that can go wrong with an SVX that is nothing to even worry about. They are a little expensive but any person with half a mechanical bone in their body can replace one. They are right in the front top of the engine compartment and one of the easiest things to replace on a car that I have ever done. Good Luck!:D

-G

craigk 02-10-2004 06:57 AM

dash going nuts

I've been having a related problems? I noticed it started with the ABS, I'd be backing up in the snow, or putting on the brakes on slippery surfaces, and the electric power would have major fluctuations and I would hear it over the speakers. Stereo cutting out and popping noises. Then the car wouldn't open up once and more noises were coming over the speakers when I opened the door. Plus it wouldn't start hardly at all at that time and all the dash lights were flashing, specifically the P/S and ABS. Then when I did get it started it wouldn't run very well, though it cranked well enough. And as I tried to drive it home the P/S kept turning off and on and the lights kept flashing. though it self corrected for a few miles. I've tested the alternator at Murrays, 3 times in a row and it checked out good. I suspected it would since I never lost battery charge. I'm suspecting a short circuit in one of the major relays such as the ABS or P/S power relays. Anyone else ever heard of these weird symptoms?