The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   water in trunk (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14625)

saintSVX 11-24-2003 07:52 AM

water in trunk

i am not sure what the problem could be. when it rains, i get water inside my trunk, where the spare tire sits. there doesnt appear to be any cracks, and the trunk and carpet are not wet at all. just wondering if anybody has any sugestions or has this problem

thanx

Aredubjay 11-24-2003 03:04 PM

Re: water in trunk

Quote:

Originally posted by saintSVX
i am not sure what the problem could be. when it rains, i get water inside my trunk, where the spare tire sits. there doesnt appear to be any cracks, and the trunk and carpet are not wet at all. just wondering if anybody has any sugestions or has this problem

thanx

Seems to be a relatively common problem. There is a drain for the power antenna that sometimes comes out of its little holder. The tube fits into another "holder" that drains under the car. That "could" be the problem. On the other hand, the moonroof drains also come through the C-pillars and could be cracked, or somehow out of whack, causing water to drain into the trunk.

I'm guessing you've already gotten in the trunk, with a flashlight (drop the rear seat to make this easier :)), and had someone hose water on the trunk to make sure your gaskets are not failing.

oab_au 11-24-2003 03:22 PM

Re: Re: water in trunk

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I'm guessing you've already gotten in the trunk, with a flashlight (drop the rear seat to make this easier :)), and had someone hose water on the trunk to make sure your gaskets are not failing.

The last time I did that they locked me in and took me on a drive from hell :D :D :D

Harvey;)

Aredubjay 11-25-2003 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: water in trunk

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au

The last time I did that they locked me in and took me on a drive from hell :D :D :D

Harvey;)

Shhhhhhh, Harvey. I'm trying to give his friends a great opportunity. ;) :D

lurker 11-25-2003 01:08 PM

Just had the same problem this morning when I had a flat. What should we do then?

Aredubjay 11-25-2003 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lurker
Just had the same problem this morning when I had a flat. What should we do then?

Replacing the antenna hose is easy. Just pop out the trim on the left (driver's) side of the trunk, look in with a flashlight, and see if it's where it's supposed to be. It's obvious when it's out of it's receptacle. The gasket is also easy to replace, if it's the culprit. BUT, if it's the moonroof drains, it may involve removing the headliner, something I, personally, wouldn't want to get into.

benebob 11-25-2003 02:40 PM

Re: water in trunk

Quote:

Originally posted by saintSVX

thanx

Don't take it out in the rain! Antenna is a good start but they also tend to leak "through the trunk seal right at the rear speaker shelf area. My XT had a leak there that I couldn't find for weeks (even with the wettest year on record here in PA). There are drain plugs in the trunk (3 I think). I'd start by pulling those and getting it good and dry. I've also heard of leaks developing around the tail lights.

Subafreak 11-27-2003 07:17 AM

I was getting water in the trunk through the plastic plugs right below the tail lites, I sealed them up with RTV and havn't had anywater since. Also if it was the antenna or sunroof drains the water would be filling up off to the sides behind the wheel wells not in the spare tire well, right? I'd also check to make sure it's not the tails light seals.

lee 11-27-2003 09:08 AM

I've never seen this leak, but what about the path around the base of rear wiper blade? Wouldn't it drip down into that area of the trunk - of course the carpet would have to be wet too.

TonyShaleUK 11-27-2003 02:54 PM

Plastic plugs below the light clusters was the problem in my case. Silicon seal around it solved the problem

Andy 11-27-2003 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
Plastic plugs below the light clusters was the problem in my case. Silicon seal around it solved the problem
ditto

CigarJohnny 11-28-2003 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy

ditto

I will have to poke around and find those plugs. I never noticed them before but if what I am thinking is correct then it definitely makes sense considering where I get water in my trunk. I will caulk them and around the tail lights. Thanks guys. :)

SVXRide 11-28-2003 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TonyShaleUK

Can someone provide a digital picture of these plugs? I opened my trunk lid and didn't see anything that obviously looked like plastic plugs.
Thanks.
-Bill

Subafreak 11-28-2003 04:44 PM

If you open the covers over the tail lights for changing the bulbs you will see a big oval plastic plug right below the tail lite, you might have to pull out the trunk liner panels to get to/seal them.

SVXRide 11-28-2003 08:37 PM

Thanks...I'll have to take a look tomorrow - assuming it isn't raining again:D