The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Full Vista Premium Running (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36428)

SVX-FF 12-06-2006 09:56 PM

Full Vista Premium Running

I just thought that I would let you all know that I have a final working version of Windows Vist Premium running. This is truely amazing. The Aero feature is just SWEET :D :D

I am running a Acer laptop with a AMD Turion 62x2 TL50.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVX-FF/40212.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVX-FF/40214.jpg

I just installed it tonight and am still playing wiht it. PM with any questions

Steve

Manarius 12-06-2006 10:03 PM

How much did that cost?

SVXRide 12-06-2006 10:24 PM

Gee, kinda looks like my G5 Mac:rolleyes: :p
-Bill

RSVX 12-07-2006 03:42 AM

How intuitive are the widgets?

SubaSteevo 12-07-2006 07:29 AM

I've heard reports that Vista is pretty much only functional if you have at least a gig of ram. What do you feel about the performance of it?

RSVX 12-07-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
I've heard reports that Vista is pretty much only functional if you have at least a gig of ram. What do you feel about the performance of it?

And a decent video card as well... that is if you want all the pretty stuff.

SVX-FF 12-07-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
How much did that cost?

COUGH COUGH free COUGH COUGH

Bill- it is very much like Mac OS10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX
How intuitive are the widgets

As far as I have seen they are OK there are some annoying ones that I took off like a slide show. I have to play with them more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo

Min is 512mb, 1gb is recommended.
Newer video card id you want to run AERO style. I have a ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 and it works great. Vista installed drivers for Xpress 300 and they are working great.

Clean install took only 25 minutes. Install questions were minimal

Steve

92SVXLS-LDC 12-07-2006 10:12 AM

ha, yea... i heard that it was supposed to be like my mac osx... didnt think it was THAT true...
anyways, i'll still get it for virtual pc, just for kicks...

Landshark 12-07-2006 10:33 AM

how you get free, mang? (not that it would run very good on my old-ass computer...)

is it the official release? not a beta or something?

i'm waiting to get a new computer with Vista pre-loaded on it. i don't want to see what happens when you try to upgrade from XP, based on the horror stories i've read back when people upgraded to XP from some older Windows variant. :rolleyes:

Crazy_pilot 12-07-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX-FF
COUGH COUGH free COUGH COUGH

COUGH COUGH where?? I've got a brand new gaming computer I just built, dual core, 2 gigs ram, Radeon X1600, lots of nice things, but I'm running XP Home. Soooo...if there's a source for getting a hold of Vista...

Not that I condone software piracy in any way...:rolleyes:

dcarrb 12-07-2006 11:12 AM

There was an article in the Atlanta paper a few weeks ago that hinted what some have mentioned here: Apple's Mac OS X was doing years ago pretty much everything Windows Vista is supposed to do, someday. One of their recommendations to folks considering the jump to Vista:

Get a Mac.

dcb

Landshark 12-07-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Get a Mac.

yeah, pay a lot more money for a computer that has WAY less hardware and software options.

they sure are purty though. :rolleyes:

Crazy_pilot 12-07-2006 11:43 AM

Macs are snazzy, but I have yet to find the screws on that 24 inch all-in-one monitor that lets me get inside to change the video card or add more RAM.

dcarrb 12-07-2006 12:29 PM

Seems I recall reading a procedure for getting into a Mac mini case that involved a putty knife and large hammer...

I don't think software availability is an issue for the overwhelming majority of users, unless by software you mean, games. Cost, yeah, Macs run a premium, but I've read comparisons for "comparably equipped" machines that put Macs right in the ballpark. (Technically speaking, I don't know enough about computers to make much sense of these, or care.) Then there's Apple's rep for quality goods and first rate tech support.

Whatever. As they say, the operator has lots more to do with the quality of work done on a computer than the OS. The point of the call-out from the article I cited was, Vista breaks no new ground.

dcb

SubaSteevo 12-07-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Seems I recall reading a procedure for getting into a Mac mini case that involved a putty knife and large hammer...

I don't think software availability is an issue for the overwhelming majority of users, unless by software you mean, games. Cost, yeah, Macs run a premium, but I've read comparisons for "comparably equipped" machines that put Macs right in the ballpark. (Technically speaking, I don't know enough about computers to make much sense of these, or care.) Then there's Apple's rep for quality goods and first rate tech support.

Whatever. As they say, the operator has lots more to do with the quality of work done on a computer than the OS. The point of the call-out from the article I cited was, Vista breaks no new ground.

dcb

I was able to build my own computer which is comparable to the power of any Mac for about $200. That doesn't even buy a frickin iPod.

And of course Apple tech support is great, they charge a buttload for that too! http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=M9318LL/B

My friend's powerbook G4 just had the hard drive go. To change it I needed to disassemble the entire computer, remove the keyboard, unplug all of the internal connectors, and seperate the entire case. On my hp notebook I needed to remove 3 screws...