The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power steering (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37309)

webdogboo 02-03-2007 05:16 PM

Power steering

I have a problem with my power steering. I have a 97 that does not have the variable assist it should have. As I understand it the car has a two stage assist, low speed and high speed. All I have is the high speed assist which is not adequate for parkiing lot turning. Subaru dealer could not find the problem. The speed sensors are working. I found reference to a PCU unit for the power steering but can not find the location of the unit in the car, anyone know where it is? I had the entire rack assembly replaced with a rebuilt which works fine. Also had the pump replaced at the same time.

Tom - Black 97 88k Colorado

ensteele 02-03-2007 09:35 PM

What are the symptoms? Is it just hard to turn the wheel at low speeds or what. It could be the o-ring on the fluid tank. :)

bcpianoman 02-04-2007 12:13 AM

Same problem

I'm going to watch this thread very closely because I have the same problem. I just got the car back today from having a 5-speed installed. Everything works great except the power steering problem (which wasn't a problem before the swap) and the seat belt light in the dash won't go off (which was a problem before the swap).

ensteele 02-04-2007 12:35 AM

What are your symptoms? :confused:

bcpianoman 02-04-2007 01:00 AM

The same as Webdogboo

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
What are your symptoms? :confused:

I have the same symptoms as Webdogboo if I understand his complaint correctly. The power steering does work with no indication of the belt slipping or any other unusual sounds or vibrations. It feels completely normal at high speeds. It's providing some assistance at low speeds but not enough.

I don't think it's the o-ring because there were no problems prior to the 5-speed swap. I'm thinking maybe an electrical connection somewhere.

Any ideas?

Trevor 02-04-2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpianoman
I have the same symptoms as Webdogboo if I understand his complaint correctly. The power steering does work with no indication of the belt slipping or any other unusual sounds or vibrations. It feels completely normal at high speeds. It's providing some assistance at low speeds but not enough.

I don't think it's the o-ring because there were no problems prior to the 5-speed swap. I'm thinking maybe an electrical connection somewhere.

Any ideas?

It depends on the system you have.

The vehicle speed sensing system like my JDM has, incorporates an electronically controlled proportional solenoid valve with feedback loop. This is activated via the ECU and therefore an electrical fault could possibly apply.

The engine speed sensing system, which I understand is more common in the US, depends on hydraulic pressure alone, in respect of adjusting power assistance. No direct electrical connections are involved. Operating pressure depends on the engine driven pump speed and an associated flow control valve and varies accordingly.

bcpianoman 02-06-2007 08:54 PM

Any Trauma?

Quote:

Originally Posted by webdogboo
I have a problem with my power steering. I have a 97 that does not have the variable assist it should have. As I understand it the car has a two stage assist, low speed and high speed. All I have is the high speed assist which is not adequate for parkiing lot turning. Subaru dealer could not find the problem. The speed sensors are working. I found reference to a PCU unit for the power steering but can not find the location of the unit in the car, anyone know where it is? I had the entire rack assembly replaced with a rebuilt which works fine. Also had the pump replaced at the same time.

Tom - Black 97 88k Colorado

Has your car undergone any trauma (hit curb for example) or had any work done on it that could cause misalignment of the wheels?

TomsSVX 02-06-2007 10:27 PM

do yourself a favor... I just had this same issue that I dealt with today. Check the fuse box under the dash. There is a 10A fuse labeled Cruise/ABS... check this. I have a feeling this may be bad. Replace it with a new one and see what happens... Also check to be sure that the electrical connector it plugged in both at the rack and the PS pump

Tom

TomsSVX 02-06-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
It depends on the system you have.

The vehicle speed sensing system like my JDM has, incorporates an electronically controlled proportional solenoid valve with feedback loop. This is activated via the ECU and therefore an electrical fault could possibly apply.

The engine speed sensing system, which I understand is more common in the US, depends on hydraulic pressure alone, in respect of adjusting power assistance. No direct electrical connections are involved. Operating pressure depends on the engine driven pump speed and an associated flow control valve and varies accordingly.

The US cars mostly had speed sensitive steering but the newer models had RPM sensitive from what I understand... All of them operate off electrical signals

Tom

SSSVX 02-06-2007 10:40 PM

Could that be the joint needed to be cleaned and greased? Is that called U-joint??

TomsSVX 02-06-2007 10:42 PM

when that happens usually rotation is notchy and uneven. These are not the symptoms described

Tom

SSSVX 02-06-2007 10:50 PM

that's right, tom. my yellow one seems to be working good at any driving speed but it feels not smooth(light&heavy; not consistent-assited) when the car is stopped.

dcarrb 02-07-2007 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webdogboo
I had the entire rack assembly replaced with a rebuilt which works fine. Also had the pump replaced at the same time.

Did your problem commence when you replaced these parts?

Long shot: My silver SVX had spells of very heavy low-speed PS when I bought the car. The fluid looked like maple syrup. A turkey-baster fluid change, a slug of power steering additive, and 3000 miles later, all is well.

(My understanding is that North American LS models have RPM-sensitive powering steering, while "touring" models have MPH-sensitive assist.)

dcb

Trevor 02-07-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Did your problem commence when you replaced these parts?

Long shot: My silver SVX had spells of very heavy low-speed PS when I bought the car. The fluid looked like maple syrup. A turkey-baster fluid change, a slug of power steering additive, and 3000 miles later, all is well.

(My understanding is that North American LS models have RPM-sensitive powering steering, while "touring" models have MPH-sensitive assist.)

dcb

A very worthwhile issues are raised as above.

Could it be that the wrong type of rack was installed. Alternatively if you have MPH assist, that the plug is not correctly fitted, or the wiring damaged./:confused: :eek:

solarsvx 02-08-2007 06:21 AM

i have the same problem also, i just replaced the belts thinking it was abelt slipping issue,

it only does it at low speeds, it just feels weird,

im going to take a closer looks this weekend check electrical connections andswap the fluid out, but with a car with only30k on it just seems weird

im begning to thik its a bad steering rack or bad ps pump, but works find just whene at low speeds whene its under load its acting weird