The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Strut Options (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58700)

SVX92-97 11-15-2011 02:19 PM

Strut Options

Besides stock and Koni are there any other strut options for our svx's Im reluctant to buy oem struts that may have been sitting on the shelf for many years and have lost there full function capabilities. Koni's are big bucks, so any alternate cheaper struts that would work.;)

SVXRide 11-15-2011 02:54 PM

Re: Strut Options

There is another option that DesertRunner has on his rally car, but they're even more expensive than going the Koni route. This is what happens when you have a very limited production run.

-Bill

BRADY 11-15-2011 03:28 PM

The strut issue is bad. I am on the hunt for rear struts at the moment and am not having much luck.

This is an email I received during the week from a Koni distributer:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your email.
Unfortunately, Koni stopped making dampers for the SVX along time ago, so we
cannot help you anymore.

Regards,
Barry
Toperformance-Koni

icingdeath88 11-15-2011 03:52 PM

Yep. We need to work on adapting struts from another car to work.

1986nate 11-15-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 691097)
Yep. We need to work on adapting struts from another car to work.

Koni inserts are still the best option and are still available in the US.
The next option would be OEM replacements which pretty much seems like you're playing with fire taking a chance on them.
Anything else, and you are looking at major modification while still using the SVX OEM springs and tophats.

LastSVXintheChi 11-15-2011 04:55 PM

i just had to buy some struts i went with OEM im hoping i wont have any problems with them but i will let you guys know

p.s. Nate i know you said to just do KONIs but i couldn't afford them lol :o

1986nate 11-15-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi (Post 691103)
i just had to buy some struts i went with OEM im hoping i wont have any problems with them but i will let you guys know

p.s. Nate i know you said to just do KONIs but i couldn't afford them lol :o

You want me to change them out when I get back or gonna do them yourself?
And I guess we'll see. Supposedly there is thought that there may be new batches. Hopefully they'll last :)

LastSVXintheChi 11-15-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 691104)
You want me to change them out when I get back or gonna do them yourself?
And I guess we'll see. Supposedly there is thought that there may be new batches. Hopefully they'll last :)

no i think im going to give them a shot myself i dont think it should be too bad...thanks though.....and i guess if they dont last at least i will have a spare set to put the inserts into huh :D

1986nate 11-15-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi (Post 691105)
no i think im going to give them a shot myself i dont think it should be too bad...thanks though.....and i guess if they dont last at least i will have a spare set to put the inserts into huh :D

That's one way of looking at it :D
Just be careful when unseating the mount so the spring doesn't "get ya".;)
Autozone and Advance rent out spring compressors for free, just have to put a deposit on it. Just be careful as they aren't the greatest.

svxfiles 11-15-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi (Post 691105)

:eek::eek::eek:

Just kidding!:o
Make sure you use a quality spring compressor.
Advance AutoParts will let you buy and return the spring compressor under their tool loaner program.:)

processengr 11-15-2011 05:15 PM

I put new oem struts on my car this year. The packaging and strut were very clean and did not appear to be old. "2009" was on a label. I know this is inconclusive, but just a FYI. They are working well so far...

1986nate 11-15-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 691107)
:eek::eek::eek:

Just kidding!:o
Make sure you use a quality spring compressor.
Advance AutoParts will let you buy and return the spring compressor under their tool loaner program.:)

Pssssst, old guy. You're a bit slow.

BTW, I'll be down in your neck of the woods Thursday. Just couldn't pass up the latest addition so that's why I wasn't there Monday. :)

1986nate 11-15-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 691108)
I put new oem struts on my car this year. The packaging and strut were very clean and did not appear to be old. "2009" was on a label. I know this is inconclusive, but just a FYI. They are working well so far...

Thanks for reporting. Perhaps give another update in a year or two as well, as many of us will probably forget.:o
If they can be relied on again, it opens up another option as being reliable.:)

svxfiles 11-15-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 691109)
Pssssst, old guy. You're a bit slow.

BTW, I'll be down in your neck of the woods Thursday. Just couldn't pass up the latest addition so that's why I wasn't there Monday. :)

Just typin!;)

But you're right, Young Tom would be done by now!

Subix 11-15-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 691108)

Couldn't someone credible be contacted to confirm if this is indeed a new part so the rumors of 20 year old shelf struts can be put to rest? I'm not exactly saying it isn't true just there has to be a way of knowing for sure is all... someones got to know. Where did you order your parts from Processengr?