The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   headlight problem - car is evil (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45858)

wannarace928 08-17-2008 07:35 PM

headlight problem - car is evil

I just fixed the starting/hesitation problem and NOW there is a problem with the headlights. :mad:

The car has lights on....... I am guessing the parking lights but really dont know? They are not the regular driving lights... when the regular lights are on and the car is on, these other lights go off (or get brighter I don't know which, probably get brighter)... when you turn the car off they come on. Or if the car is on and the regular lights are off, these lights come on. - hopefully that wasn't too confusing...

Pics of the lights on:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x.../lights001.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x.../lights002.jpg

They are really dim, like the battery is going dead. But it is not.... yet.

Anyone have any ideas or have a wiring diagram??
I have tried turning on and off all of the switches inside the car for the different lights - parking, fog, regular - brights.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

kwren 08-17-2008 07:41 PM

Re: headlight problem - car is evil

I would assume that the parking lights switch is off??

:confused:

Keith

kwren 08-17-2008 07:43 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but this is major confusing to me, see?

Keith:confused::confused::confused:

wannarace928 08-17-2008 07:52 PM

Parking light switch is definately off. I pressed it several times on/off to see if it did anything. I have tried all of the switches/buttons for the lights to see if anything would turn them off. I guess its the low and high beams that are on very dimly.

wannarace928 08-17-2008 08:07 PM

Also, the tail lights are not on. Just these front lights are on dimly.

kwren 08-17-2008 08:58 PM

There are 2 - 15 amp headlight fuses... fuse 24 and fuse 26... one for left and one for the right side.. I would suggest removing those fuses and see what happens. They are the power sourse for right and left headlights and if you are getting some strange feedback power source, removing the 2 fuses should not interrupt the lights. Do this with all switches turned off and crazy headlights on:lol:.

Let us know what happens and we can go from there.

Keith:)

wannarace928 08-17-2008 09:13 PM

Removed the 2 fuses and the headlights stayed on.

kwren 08-17-2008 09:26 PM

wow.....

it is both headlights, on but dimer?

Is it the fog lights?

never go off even with ignition sw on and light switch off?

kwren 08-17-2008 09:36 PM

what did you do to fix your starting-hesitation thing?

Keith

wannarace928 08-17-2008 09:47 PM

Yes both headlights are on but dimmer.

The fog lights are not on just the other 2.

If the car is turned on, the lights are dim with the regular lights turned off. If you turn the regular lights on, they come on like normal and the bright bulbs go off.

The hesitation/starting problem was due to the wires inside the fuel tank shorting out.:eek: The wires had somehow slightly come out of the connector.

kwren 08-17-2008 11:39 PM

If the car is turned on, the lights are dim with the regular lights turned off. If you turn the regular lights on, they come on like normal and the bright bulbs go off.

is dim lo beam lights?

what is regular lites and what is bright bulbs go off. Do you set the light switch to bright, hi beams, and the bright bulbs go off?

I am so sorry that I am having so hard a time understanding but I need to know exactly what the story is and I can help you:(

Just try to help an old man understand:lol:

Explain where you turn the switches to and lo beams and high beam bulbs are burning bright, not bright, or not at all.

A list would be nice. Please call them lo or high beams.

Thanks,
Keith

svxistentialist 08-18-2008 03:51 AM

Keith

Judging by the picture wannarace posted it looks like she has current going to both Lo and Hi beams with the switches off. I'm wondering if this happens all the time, or only when the ignition is on?

I don't have the wiring diagram to hand, but I suspect a relay. To avoid heavy current flowing through the switches at the steering column it is usual for headlights and low beams to be activated by a trigger voltage from the switch to a relay.

This relay then trips and connects power direct from the battery to the headlamps. What is likely to be happening here, your faulty relay is receiving power on the trigger line/s or is faulty and stuck on the ON position. Hence the lights are getting power via the faulty relay, even though the switch at the steering column has not "requested" the lights to be on.

You need to unplug relays till you find the faulty one, and replace it.

Joe :)

kwren 08-18-2008 09:53 AM

Thanks, Joe.

The headlight fuses that I suggested that she remove and see what happened are past the headlight relay in the voltage supply. The removal of the fuses did not make the headlight do of. The headlight relays are always hot, only protected by the 30 amp f usable link to both the relay contact and and the individual fuses are for right and left headlights but both right and left fuses are "past" the contacts in the 2 relay headlight relay contact points in this equation. .

If either relay was stuck, removing the fuses would still remove the voltage to both sides. That is assuming that the correct fuses were removed, and I do. That only leaves feedback voltage from an undesirable source and that would account for the lights being on and dimmer.

This can be worked out but it is important to understand exactly what is happening and the possibilities explored to help her!
Keith

wannarace928 08-18-2008 10:09 AM

Ok, so I disconnected the negative on the battery so it wouldn't drain it over night. And when I hooked the battery back up, the lights didn't come back on. Everything seems to be working normal. Obviously it had a problem though and i'm guessing whatever caused it will happen again.

I'm not sure if I should continue troubleshooting though or wait for the problem to return and then try troubleshooting.:rolleyes:

wannarace928 08-18-2008 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a wiring diagram for the lights.