The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Milage Q. -or- How long liveth the SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3389)

Mistangelique 03-29-2002 11:52 PM

Milage Q. -or- How long liveth the SVX?

OK guys. I'm new here, so cut me some slack, ok? ;)

Baaaasically... Someone smashed my prized '94 Plymouth Sundance Duster (3L V6 5SP Green w?grey interior.. oh wait. Wrong forum) and I'm getting an insurance check.

Problem is, I'm a commuter student, and have to find another great car-fast. So I found a '92 Subaru SVX for a great price, but there are 180K miles on it. It's got a touring package, and I'm sure it was very well taken care of. Can anyone here hazard a guess on to how much life this baby may have in her?

Thanks a bunch.

Chris 03-30-2002 06:34 AM

Well as for the engine, its "nearly" bullet proof. Almost all Subaru engines seem to last years and miles longer than the rest of the car. People from the future will be able to fire up our old internal combustion engines and not be able to figgure out what they were found in. The tranny is probably your only major worry. If There are some signs you can look for of definate abuse or signs of failure, but it doesnt mean much. When I have more time( I REALLY need to get to bed), if you are interested I will post some information to look for. I dont quite have 180K on mine yet, but it still runs like a raped ape with 160K miles on it. I am sure there are members here with over 200K on their motors.

Oh... and let me be the first to welcome you to our crazy group. I promise, we dont bite.... well most of us.. I am the exception!:D

Mistangelique 03-30-2002 05:13 PM

signs...

That'd be great. Thanks for the help...

DavieGravy 03-30-2002 10:02 PM

I've heard that SVX engines last an average of 250k. Are they really bullet proof?

wasions 03-30-2002 10:18 PM

Be vewy, vewy, careful. People don't sell SVX's unless the trannies are showing symptoms of failure. There's just no reason otherwise. :cool: :eek:

EverclearAtMSU 03-30-2002 10:24 PM

Re: Milage Q. -or- How long liveth the SVX?

Quote:

Originally posted by Mistangelique
OK guys. I'm new here, so cut me some slack, ok? ;)

Baaaasically... Someone smashed my prized '94 Plymouth Sundance Duster (3L V6 5SP Green w?grey interior.. oh wait. Wrong forum) and I'm getting an insurance check.

Problem is, I'm a commuter student, and have to find another great car-fast. So I found a '92 Subaru SVX for a great price, but there are 180K miles on it. It's got a touring package, and I'm sure it was very well taken care of. Can anyone here hazard a guess on to how much life this baby may have in her?

Thanks a bunch.

FYI one of these engines went for a little over $500 on e-bay earlier this month w/ 50K on it I THINK, i dont remember the exact number.

Mistangelique 03-30-2002 11:28 PM

Hrm... is there anyone on this board from the Cleveland/Akron area that might be willing to meet me in Akron to look at it? I've got friends that are knowlegeable about engines and whatnot, but not when it comes to Subarus...

wawazat?? 03-31-2002 07:42 AM

NE Ohio

Casper150 lives in NE ohio. Try sending him a message.
I lived in Akron for a couple of years and you have a couple of choices for a dealer or mechanic to check it out.

Bishop Buick, Subaru dealership. They are OK to work with, but definetley better on Buicks than Subaru.

Euro-Car Service on Cleve-Mass road. Though they focus on European cars, they worked on our SVX when we lived there. They used to have a Subaru Master Tech on staff. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. I cannot say enough good things about these guys!

In Cleveland, you have Ellicot-Shaker VW-Subaru. Very capable techs. Recommended shop.

Good luck with your purchase. That car has been for sale for a LONG TIME! Work on the price.

Mistangelique 03-31-2002 02:08 PM

Wawazat> Thanks sooooo very much! That's very helpful. I think I'm going to go down there next weekend if I can work it out with the seller.... Find out what's wrong with it. I have NO idea why someone would sell an SVX for so much below kbb value unless there was SOMETHING wrong with it... Any idea how much the dealers ask to give it the good ol' once over? I was planning on working on the price. Knowing how long it's been for sale will be a good fact to work on... I'm really only looking to pay around $2500, especially with that many miles. My mother (argh) keeps telling me I should buy this little Metro for $2500 that has 50K on it. *sigh* Metro BAD!

Thanks again, everyone, for your help. I really appreciate it.

Mistangelique 03-31-2002 02:39 PM

Well guys, I appreciate all your help, but I've lost my only means of contacting the guy. Figures. That's what I get for trying to be polite and waiting till the holliday was over. It's no longer listed on Autotrader.com, and I never bothered to write down the number. I guess it was either sold or given up on :( *sobs*

wawazat?? 03-31-2002 06:43 PM

There's got to be a way!

Try looking at your phone bill. Or how about buying a hard copy of the regional AutoTrader at a store? The car has been listed on and off for the last couple of months so it may return.

Mistangelique 03-31-2002 10:19 PM

*smacks herself in the forehead*

BUY an Autotrader. Now there's a novel idea. *lmao* I can't believe I didn't think of that. Haven't actually even talked to the guy yet, so it wouldn't be on my phone bill. Thanks! *shaking head* Buy a trader... *sigh* Sometimes I wonder about myself...

Seraph 03-31-2002 10:44 PM

I know SVXes that has over 230k miles on them. *looks at Doug* They will run forever unless you try to kill the engine by doing stuff to it. Good luck with your search. If you were any closer, I'd help you shop for an SVX. :(

Lwin

ps. how much are they asking for that SVX? It might not be too low. Do not worry about the engine. Even if the car is dead, you can probably convert the engine and use it in an plane. But make sure you check that tranny out. Bearings, and brakes come to mind too.

Green1995SVX 04-01-2002 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mistangelique
Hrm... is there anyone on this board from the Cleveland/Akron area that might be willing to meet me in Akron to look at it? I've got friends that are knowlegeable about engines and whatnot, but not when it comes to Subarus...
I'm always in the mood for a road trip. Let me know when you wanna do it.

-Mike

Mistangelique 04-01-2002 03:32 PM

Seraph> They're asking $2995, I do believe...

Green> I'll let you know. I kind of gave up hope and am looking at an Acura Integra and a Nissan 300ZX. Not sure what I'll end up with...