The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Bearings (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61565)

simboglide 04-13-2013 09:30 AM

Rear Bearings

Monday morning I will be replacing front CV axles. rotors and pads...and then rear wheel bearings......Any one have the latest torque values on the axle nuts and /or tightening sequence or setting the load? Going to check tie rod ends while I'm there and probably remove the rattly assed heat shields.

dannmarr 04-13-2013 01:52 PM

Re: Rear Bearings

I don't know how to make a link but look this up:
-Technical Q&A
-Torque specs for rear housing
-Post #4

simboglide 04-14-2013 01:38 AM

Cool....found it..I read where you did your rear bearings,,,on a scale from 1-10 how much of a bych and how long for both sides?

Tapani 04-14-2013 03:07 AM

I dropped the rear diff to get the axles out (done four times, so it's easy :D)... the long bolt for the lower arms was so rusty it would have broken had I tried it.

To get the old outer races out I used an unorthodox method of gently welding a beam (MIG) around both ball runs to contract the race... you can push it out with very little force.

I made a threaded tool to press frozen new races in. The rest is easy.

Tapani

Huskymaniac 04-14-2013 08:47 AM

Per Nate's advice, I also replaced the hub the last time I did the bearings. I think that is very good advice.

SVXMAN2001 04-14-2013 12:28 PM

Be prepared for nuts and bolts to be seized and destroyed during removal process and getting to the rear housing. Have new nuts and bolts on hanf BEFORE attempting this job..

Ive just replaced every component on the rear suspension to include bearings so all my troubles and mistakes are fresh in my mind

dannmarr 04-14-2013 01:18 PM

If you are mechanically inclined and have the time and the correct tools, it's about an 7. I had a spare hub assembly to play with while installing the bearings. I also had no trouble with the bolts because they were removed on my previous bearing replacement. If this is your first time, have a mechanic do it and ask if you can observe so you know what is involved. This is what I did. Good luck!

simboglide 04-15-2013 07:12 PM

Well, all the rear bolts came out with no issues. (rust really isn't an issue here) Front axles are in and had the bearings pressed in this afternoon...Tomorrow,,, she comes back together!Thanks dannmarr for the pics and torques!! uber helpful!! tHEY SHOULD "STICKY" THAT POST.

dannmarr 04-15-2013 08:42 PM

Great to hear it worked out for you!:)

simboglide 04-16-2013 06:29 PM

Alrighttttt......she rolls quietly,, no more "click click click" but i still have a binding in slow turns and if i turn tight enuff up a small incline,,it wont make it without "help". That being said..If i goose it a tad at "stop" I can hear something in the neighborhood of a bound "grind?? squeak?? If read posts about solenoid C or possibly some LSD??

simboglide 04-16-2013 06:47 PM

Just did the 10 amp fuse in the FWD slot and the binding goes away...tranny flush with LSD?

dragoontwo 04-16-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 722754)
Just did the 10 amp fuse in the FWD slot and the binding goes away...tranny flush with LSD?

This has nothing to do with the LSD. Also, you can't flush the LSD. The LSD is a sealed unit. Someone should pop in to advise you on how to free up the transfer clutch unit.

simboglide 04-16-2013 07:45 PM

I was under the impression LSD was an additive.I bought a small bottle of Lubegard, which is what a few posts recommended.add it , run it a week drain tranny, refill.

Huskymaniac 04-16-2013 09:46 PM

You put as much fresh tranny fluid in as possible and then add a bottle of Lubegard (red bottle as I recall). You should keep that in and just resume a normal schedule of drain and refill. I do mine every 12K miles as it drains out about 4 of the 10 quarts. Lubegard makes great products.

Some people say doing some figure eights in each direction helps. I didn't need to do that with my old Outback. The binding stopped after a small amount of normal driving.

Huskymaniac 04-16-2013 09:48 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007Z...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Again, do not drain this out after a week. Leave it in and then do a drain and refill after about 12K miles.