The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   my SVX is spilling ATF (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25882)

Weasel 22 05-01-2005 01:34 PM

my SVX is spilling ATF

just went out today to start her up, after getting her back from the paint shop...upon start up noticed a strange burbling sound..so I shut it off and got out to investigate..to my horror about 4-5 quarts of ATF was flowing from the front of the car...had to move a neighbors motorcycle..a very heavy Harley out of the way of the flowing mess..it is coming from the very front around the radiator..any ideas? its far to messy for me to get under there now..I will have to have her towed to a shop...this sucks :( :mad:

ensteele 05-01-2005 01:49 PM

It sounds like a hose from the tranny came off or has a leak. Check around the cooler, filter, or any of the connections or hose clamps. That is the first place I would look. I would definatly do that before having the car towed to a shop. Good luck and let us know if you find anything. :)

n00b on demand 05-01-2005 02:00 PM

I would guess its one of the hoses as well. Check them out and see before doing anything.

ensteele 05-01-2005 02:05 PM

Now for the good news! You will have had a tranny flush after this. :rolleyes: :) :)

Electrophil 05-01-2005 06:18 PM

Yeah... Definitely one of the hoses leading to your ATF cooler in the radiator. :)

Weasel 22 05-01-2005 11:43 PM

it was too messy to get under...literally..so I had a 'free' tow to a friends shop where I can work on it tomorrow...woo hoo (sarcasm)..at least my leak I have had will finally be solved...and yep..the tranny will have been flushed when all is said and done.. :rolleyes: :( :mad: ..one positive point..she waited til she was parked and restarted to do this..I would have been 'hosed'(pun) if I had been on the freeway... :eek:

n00b on demand 05-02-2005 07:19 AM

and ur tranny would probably have borked itself

Weasel 22 05-02-2005 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
and ur tranny would probably have borked itself

right you are Ken..would've been ugly..
it is the hose that leads into the radiator..
im currently sourcing it's replacement..
im just amazed at how fast that hose leaked out that much ATF..
and to boot...it looks as if this was the hose that caused my SVX to smoke up when I drove spirited..I just somehow could'nt Identify the fluid as ATF ..the leak was minor and never dropped too much fluid..when it dumped as it did it was easy to see the red in it..
I'll find out if this was the case after it's fixed..

n00b on demand 05-02-2005 01:44 PM

ken?!?!? :mad: :rolleyes: ...my name is Tom ;)

Weasel 22 05-02-2005 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
ken?!?!? :mad: :rolleyes: ...my name is Tom ;)

no no no..not another missing out on the brilliance of MXC....say it isnt so... :eek: ;)
update: SVX is back on the road..and low and behold..hard driving doesn't activate the cloaking device...good times..and I have a new friend in my neighbor..he appreciated my moving his motorcycle from the ATF flow... :D

ensteele 05-02-2005 08:34 PM

I am glad that it was that instead of something more difficult to find or fix. :)

Weasel 22 05-02-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I am glad that it was that instead of something more difficult to find or fix. :)

you're telling me...im lucky at best..and thanks for the concern and advice..this forum is great :)

Earthworm 05-03-2005 01:47 PM

I wonder if a plugging tranny cooler would be a cause of this issue? Mine split after adding a temperature sending unit to that same hose. My cooler was fine though.

Weasel 22 05-03-2005 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I wonder if a plugging tranny cooler would be a cause of this issue? Mine split after adding a temperature sending unit to that same hose. My cooler was fine though.

I believe and from the results now, pretty much know..that mine was leaking since I purchased it..the more I drove, and the harder I drove..the higher the quantity of fluid I would find under the front of the SVX..just the day before the failure, I had driven her on a 160 mile road trip to attend a funeral..while driving to said destination, which is on a canyon road..I noticed more smoke from under the car than ever before..everything remained fine until after the trip... I started it up in the morning and bam! huge fluid leak..the tranny was short 5 quarts..that made an impressive mess