The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   instrument panel lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22661)

msvx95 11-15-2004 09:59 AM

instrument panel lights

Hi svxer's!

I just bought an SVX and found a bunch of problems. One main problem is that there are a lot of dash lights out, including the clock. My gear selection lights are out, a blinker light, and some push button lights. Fuses are good and electrical diagnostic turned out good. I read from Mike (Green1995SVx) that the bulb for some of the push button switches are #7219 - radio shack.
What about for the gear selection bulb(s)? Is it the same number or is it a bigger bulb?

Also, my factory radio only gets one station (yuck). What could be the problem?.....I'm not an electrical guy, but was thinking of getting a new stereo.

Last, to take apart the instrument panel, is it safe to just disconnect the negative battery terminal or do I have to do something with the SRS airbag system??

Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks,

MSVX95

red95svx 11-15-2004 10:49 AM

Re: instrument panel lights

Quote:

Originally posted by msvx95

Also, my factory radio only gets one station (yuck). What could be the problem?.....I'm not an electrical guy, but was thinking of getting a new stereo.

You could check the radio grounding strap. It's a short piece of braided wire that is bolted to the passenger side of the muffler. These tend to rot out over time. You could also check your antenna connections. You'll find them by pulling down the carpeting on the drivers side of the center console near the ashtray area. Here you should see two black wires...one for the power antenna, one for the rear window antenna. Make sure both are connected (this is also handy to know when you take out your stock radio...you can't pull out your radio without disconnecting these antenna leads)

Dave

msvx95 11-16-2004 03:42 AM

Thanks Dave, I will check these things out when I take apart my console and instrument panel this weekend. Sounds like a simple fix.

Matt

Seraph 11-16-2004 07:45 AM

Earthworm 11-16-2004 03:53 PM

Re: instrument panel lights

Quote:

What about for the gear selection bulb(s)? Is it the same number or is it a bigger bulb?
Depends on which one you're referring to. The one by the shifter (console) is a standard 194 (wedge) as previously stated. If the "D" in the instrument cluster is burned out just swap it with the light for "1" until you can get a replacement.

msvx95 11-17-2004 04:26 AM

It's really weird, the P,R,N,D,3,2,1 are all out on the instrument panel. Unless, someone took out the bulbs all together. (Head scratcher) I'll find out this weekend when I take it apart.

Earthworm 11-17-2004 04:59 PM

All the other lights are fine?

I would start to wonder about the connection to the tranny being loose...unlikely...but that's where it gets its signal.

msvx95 11-18-2004 03:32 AM

I have a blinker light out and I think there is also the SRS airbag light out as well.

Is the connection to the transmission easy to get to?

SilverSpear 11-18-2004 04:33 AM

Quote:

I have a blinker light out and I think there is also the SRS airbag light out as well.

Is the connection to the transmission easy to get to?

you should start with taking the dash gauges out and check the bulbs. if nothing wrong, you'd better take it to an electrician, there maybe a short circuit somewhere...

msvx95 11-21-2004 06:58 PM

Okay, took panel out and replaced all bulbs that I thought were bad.......I checked continuity on the gear shifter bulbs and they are okay.......So my next step is to check the tranny connection as suggested.

As for the radio.....some (fill in the blank) never had the antenna cables correctly hooked up to the radio....and the "special" subaru harness was not fully connected to the back of the radio........I connected them and re-routed the wires and ta-da the speakers work and the radio now gets more than one station!!

Thanks for the hints and tips everyone...........there are still plenty more things to fix, just need more money to do so.