The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OIL LEAKING Valve Cover Gaskets (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17592)

James Scott 03-31-2004 02:04 AM

OIL LEAKING Valve Cover Gaskets

The dealer here said $500. to replace valve cover gaskets, so I'm gonna do myself! [About $350 labor + $150 parts.]

What do I need beside basic gaskets (paid $80. from SubaruParts.com).

Do I need gasket sealer (RTV or ?)?

Do I need new washers?

Please help with any handy hints, warnings, or special techniques.

I know it will be difficult! I've done the plugs before and they were bad enough!

ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks! :D

immortal_suby 03-31-2004 05:20 PM

Check out this thread
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...+cover+gaskets

James Scott 04-03-2004 02:07 AM

Nice Thread! . . . . . BUT, do you use gasket sealer (e.g. RTV) when replacing gaskets or bolt "seals" (subaruparts.com calls them washers, I guess). Also, should I order the expensive bolt washers, or use the Hylomar sealer on old ones OR other material mentioned on thread you referred me to ???

THANKS for your help! :confused: :D

immortal_suby 04-03-2004 07:38 AM

I have used new bolt washers from the dealer on both cars. Never tried anything else so I don't know. The bolts themselves aren't too hard to take off so replacing the washers alone isnt too bad.

Maybe you can be the guinea pig and try both and let us know which one starts to leak first. :)

Aredubjay 04-03-2004 11:42 AM

I would try something first. Pull the PCV valve and clean it or replace it. Then, clean the area around the covers. And check for leaks later. According to Beav, this has remedied many of his oil leaks.

Of course, depending on your ability to get to the PCV valve, changing the gaskets may be easier. :D

James Scott 04-05-2004 10:12 PM

Valve Cover Gaskets

Please let me know if I need to use any "sealer" on the gaskets? Also, do I need new bolt washers or can I reuse?

Obviously, I still don't understand exactly.

[I did replace PVC valve about 1 1/3 years ago.]

THANKS for any help!!! :D

Aredubjay 04-06-2004 08:08 AM

Re: Valve Cover Gaskets

Quote:

Originally posted by James Scott
Please let me know if I need to use any "sealer" on the gaskets? Also, do I need new bolt washers or can I reuse?

Obviously, I still don't understand exactly.

[I did replace PVC valve about 1 1/3 years ago.]

THANKS for any help!!! :D

I can't recall the exact intervals, but, Beav said he had to clean the PCV valve rather often to quell his leaks. Certainly more than once in 1 and a third years. :)

svx_commuter 04-06-2004 10:28 AM

Some type of gasket holding stuff, even silicone grease would be helpful in keeping the gasket in place. I think the PVC is worth checking out. Also Beav added o-rings under the bolt heads to help the valve cover leak and did not change the gaskets. He says it helped.

TomsSVX 04-06-2004 10:10 PM

gaskets are not bad to do and if you arder them from subaruparts.com they are fairly cheap. Takes a little bit of time and concentration but not too bad. Also those rubber o-rings i did not replace i just used some high temp rtv and applied it to the intire washer and it does not leak a drop. but i do need to do cam-seals, they r leaking pretty bad though, i even have the new ones, just need to pop the timing cover again.

James Scott 04-07-2004 03:03 AM

Thanks, GUYS!

1) I will check and probably replace (to be sure) the PCV valve, Randy.

2) Which RTV (color) should I use on the washers?

3) I don't understand what O-Rings you're talking about? Are they stock (I don't see them on the parts diagragm)? Where do they go then? Under the bolt head without an additional washer? Wouldn't they get thrashed when the bolt was twisted down tight?

4) Since you didn't mention it, I guess I can reuse the "washers", right?

THANKS for your help !!! :D

TomsSVX 04-07-2004 12:20 PM

yes you can reuse the washers

red rtv (hightemp)

I was talking about the rubber washers

good luck any more questions let me know

svx_commuter 04-07-2004 04:20 PM

Oh the o-rings? Beav did not change his gaskets or the washers under the bolts. He removed one bolt at a time and put a small o-ring under the head of the bolt and then retightened. He says the extra compression on the washer and the gasket would be enough to make it seal :) Pretty smart guy. Eh? Save all that labor and fix the problem for $10 dollars in parts.

James Scott 04-11-2004 02:04 AM

OOOOOOOOOOoooooo=rrriiiiiiiiiiiings!

Doesn't the o-ring get squished when tightened, while the bolt is twisting tighter? Do you use RTV or other sealer so it slips without thrashing during installation?

Please explain in detail if possible. THANKS! :confused: :D

svx_commuter 04-12-2004 04:39 PM

I do not know the size. Try a search as Beav did post it in here somewhere. :)

TomsSVX 04-12-2004 07:21 PM

do them one at a time so the rtv is still wet when applied