The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Urgent Help Needed!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44321)

SVX92-97 04-15-2008 09:09 PM

Urgent Help Needed!!

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, Ive spent the last couple days looking for the ATF fitting that screws on the bottom of my radiator. I bought new ATF hoses cause they were leaking, and when I checked the fittings to make sure they were tight, one of the nuts cracked into two pieces. My mechanic tried to do a quick solder job with a home blow torch kit, and it worked pretty well, except he got the solder all in the threads, so it wont work. I spoke to young Tom and thought he had one off of a blown radiator hes got, but he says his is different, and OT says the same thing. I dont get it, I cant be the only person who has this type radiator in their SVX. It does have a silver made in China sticker on the top of the radiator. Previous owner replaced it two years ago. I went to a Subaru salvage yard, and they have nothing, just a used radiator, and also went to a local reputable radiator repair shop and they have nothing either. Im attaching some photos of what my fitting looks like. It has a hex nut with an inch long copper tube with a flange that screws on to a thread and another hex nut thats mounted to the radiator. All I need is this one flange and or nut. Im thinking maybe I could go to Home Depot and buy a new hex nut and it should work. I want to get this done tomorrow so I can drop my car off to OT by Thursday. OK, look at the photos and see what Im talking about.

YourConfused 04-15-2008 09:18 PM

I may not be getting what you are talking about , but I am going to assume what you are looking for is a fitting with npt threads which you should find at home depot.
If you are not going on a long drive can't you just bypass the radiator until OT gets it and could fix it for you?

SVX92-97 04-15-2008 09:22 PM

Im 410 miles away from OT, so I dont want to risk it.

YourConfused 04-15-2008 09:27 PM

so you can't get a tap to clean the threads out to make the soldered one fit?

flyby 04-15-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 541891)
so you can't get a tap to clean the threads out to make the soldered one fit?

sounds like a quick fix...if the problem is that u cant get a nut on because of threads bulked with solder.

SVX92-97 04-15-2008 09:31 PM

I was going to do that, but my mechanic thinks it will leak or even break and not to risk it driving it that far. I'll just go to home depot in the morning. Yourconfused, do you have the same setup on your radiator. I wasnt aware that there are different type radiators that use different style fittings. This is so :bash:

YourConfused 04-15-2008 09:36 PM

I have a silla rad, and my jack is currently leaking so I can't lift my car, but I will go look w/ a flashlight. my car is lowered a couple of inches so I may not fit under it to see anything.

YourConfused 04-15-2008 09:40 PM

ok just looked and my rad is like yours. don't know how this helps, but there is your question answered.

SVX92-97 04-15-2008 09:40 PM

Yourconfuse, thanks I appreciate all your input.

YourConfused 04-15-2008 09:43 PM

OK so when going to home depot you are going to take the one good one with you so you have the best chance of getting a match right? or are you afraid of killing the other one if you mess with it. my thought is that if one is bad then the other is in a similar state and may soon fail, so replacing both would be a good idea. also try checking a trans shop as they have tons of spare parts that they usually would give away.

SVX92-97 04-15-2008 09:53 PM

Yourconfused, Thanks, I will try to buy both nuts. Ther other doesnt appear to be bad, but just to be safe. I think I may have slightly overtightned the one that split in half. It must have been weak, or are these hex nuts very soft.

YourConfused 04-15-2008 10:04 PM

good luck and use PTFE when installing the new ones, and also don't over tighten as that is a sure way to break things.

svxfiles 04-15-2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 541882)
It does have a silver made in China sticker on the top of the radiator.

That makes all the differance in the world!:o
The stock rads have the tube incerted before tha rads are assembled.
Call me in the morning.
I just got in a new Chinese rad, have one in one of the 93s, and can send the fitting.
A picture is worth 1000 words.
Tom

kwren 04-15-2008 11:50 PM

Could you.........

just heat the fitting slightly to melt the solder and take a steel brush and brush the solder mostly off the threads??

Keith

YourConfused 04-16-2008 09:27 PM

what is the outcome of this?