The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Throttle cable replacement? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34841)

svxcess 08-21-2006 10:35 PM

Throttle cable replacement?

When I first got my son the 92 Pearlie from svxit, I noticed that his throttle cables had a bit of slack, so I adjusted both of his throttle cables (throttle and cruise control)

Tonight he said that it seemed his cables were loose again, as it didn't have the response it had the day before. I checked his accelerator cable and it had a fair amount of play in it, more so than a slight bit of stretching. How could an already stretched cable stretch that much more overnight?

I tried to adjust the cable as much as I could, but at the end of its adjustment, there was still slack. There are very few threads left to grab the nut. Is there any other place or way I can take up the slack?

I looked in the FSM to find out how to replace it, but I cannot locate it. has anyone replaced this cable assembly that could share a few tips. Or maybe another fix. Is there a way of taking up the slack at the gas pedal with some sort of spacer?

I can't believe that the cables haven't already stretched as much as they could in 15 years.

msvx95 08-22-2006 05:05 AM

Mine stretched a bit in over 1 year...that's why recently I had to re-tighten the slack, but I still have room to adjust.

I wonder if you take off the spooling mechanism and just re-spool the cable..Sounds like a PITA, but I don't know how you'd get rid of the slack if you have no more room for adjustment.

Suby Fan 08-22-2006 06:58 AM

you shouldnt have much truble finding the cable its self at auto parts stores it sounds almost like its hanging on by a thread

svxcess 08-22-2006 12:12 PM

Problem SOLVED!!

With the help of svxfiles, I found the problem. Everything on the engine side looked okay, so we checked the end that connects to the gas pedal. I wondered if the cable was weak and about to break, but he said he never heard of that happening to an SVX

While I had Tom on the phone, he looked under the dash of one of his cars to see if there was any way we could use a spacer or some sort of adjustment to remove the excess slack. He described what he saw, so we could compare our observations.

He said to me "The ball end of the cable meets a black cupped rubber washer, which goes makes contact with a white nylon spacer"

I said "What black washer? I don't have one... just the ball end of the cable meeting the nylon spacer"

I looked down on the floor of the car and there it was! It is a small black rubber washer/stopper that has a formed cup on one end (to receive the ball on the cable end) and a funnel shape that goes into a space in the nylon washer. There is a small hole that runs all the way through this piece and a split along the side to enable you to slip it over the throttle cable and into position. The cable itself slides through this hole, I think one of the purposes of this piece is to absorb shock and vibration when the gas pedal is released.

I just opened the throttle plates by hand to take the tension off of the cable, pulled the ball end away from the nylon washer and slipped the rubber washer/stopper into place.

All the slack was now gone, so I readjusted the nuts at the throttle to get a correct idle. I don't know how this piece slipped off, but thought this was a valuable piece of info to know (much like the cruise control vacuum hose)

Arrow points to the culprit (which is not available separately, but comes as part of a new cable assembly.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...cess/37788.jpg

msvx95 08-23-2006 04:52 AM

That's some very valuable info, especially with anyone who is running out of threads to tighten. Thanks, I will also check mine to see if all the parts are still there.. :)

RisingPhoenix 07-01-2018 09:14 AM

Re: Throttle cable replacement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95 (Post 423279)
That's some very valuable info, especially with anyone who is running out of threads to tighten. Thanks, I will also check mine to see if all the parts are still there.. :)

I replaced that cable whenn I bought my 1992 SVX. Never had slack problems though. But now the sheath (just before the cable comes out that loops over throttle) on the Cruise Control?? is worn through.. so, I have to replace the vacuum it connects to on the firewall?? Anyone know?
Or, does the cable just slip off when I take the screws off the vacuum?
I now know this Secondary?? (As I call it) is binding on me and needs replaced.
I think some people here are calling the shorter cable the Cruise Control.
This binding goes away if I spray CRC carburetor cleaner on the worn sheath for a temporary fix. :rolleyes: