The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU Tune Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Engine Build Progress and Questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39105)

cdigerlando 10-09-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 498414)
well... my issues are not ironed out either. I re-sealed the IAC but with no real luck. It will idle nice w/ a good AFR for about 3 seconds then the idle drops down and it'll run super lean (off the map). I am going to replace the IAC when I get back to philly and hope for the best.... These are the same issues I was having with the idle before the motor build so don't go thinking thats the issue

Tom

Do you think it could be the auxiliary air unit? I just had to replace an IAC in my WRX. They are expensive.

TomsSVX 10-09-2007 01:50 PM

i am going to replace it hopefully tomorrow... I will let everyone know

Tom

sd2649 10-12-2007 12:11 AM

you get it replaced yet?

TomsSVX 10-12-2007 04:45 AM

no not yet

Tom

cdigerlando 10-15-2007 08:33 PM

Main Bolt Torque

Tom:

How much torque are you using for the main bolts? I have some documentation that says 20 ft-lbs and other documentation that says 29-35 ft-lbs.

Thanks

Chuck D.

TomsSVX 10-15-2007 08:49 PM

the main bolts are a sequence. 11ft-lbs to start then a sequence of tightening them by angles. You should pick up an angle bit for your torque wrench. Thiswill help you precisely measure you stretch torque angles.

Tom

longassname 10-15-2007 09:00 PM

ya you need to follow that factory torque sequence......

I've noticed when caging bearings that the main oil clearances don't even come out right if you don't use the factory torque sequence.

TomsSVX 10-15-2007 09:05 PM

same reason my oil clearnances on the rods were all wrong with overtorqueing them too.

Tom

cdigerlando 10-16-2007 12:00 PM

Torque

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 501045)
same reason my oil clearnances on the rods were all wrong with overtorqueing them too.

Tom

I see. 20 ft-lbs is for the other case bolts not the bearing bolts. The bearing bolts go 11 ft-lbs then 90 degrees more. The manual shows the sequence too.

Thanks

TomsSVX 10-16-2007 12:03 PM

no... I think you are seeing 20* as 20ft lbs

Tom

longassname 10-16-2007 12:22 PM

that's an over simplification (I assume just for typing's sake) but more or less correct. Follow the sequence exactly including retorquing the first block halve's bolts after torqueing the 2nd block halve's bolts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdigerlando (Post 501263)
I see. 20 ft-lbs is for the other case bolts not the bearing bolts. The bearing bolts go 11 ft-lbs then 90 degrees more. The manual shows the sequence too.

Thanks

cdigerlando 10-16-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 501281)
that's an over simplification (I assume just for typing's sake) but more or less correct. Follow the sequence exactly including retorquing the first block halve's bolts after torqueing the 2nd block halve's bolts.

Yes a big oversimplification. I didn't want to repeat the whole sequence in this thread. If anyone needs it I can e-mail them the breakdown/assembly section for the small block.

sd2649 10-31-2007 08:56 AM

Bump

get that engine running properly yet Tom?

TomsSVX 10-31-2007 08:58 AM

nope, waiting on whipple to get back to me about a new bypass valve:rolleyes: I have a feeling all the issues stem from this

TOm

sd2649 10-31-2007 09:16 AM

the suspense is killing me!:D

TomsSVX 10-31-2007 09:24 AM

believe me... i cannot wait... I am not seeing the full potential of this motor because it pulls timing early and throughout the revs sometimes. SO this leads me to believe that with the new bypass which will let boost come on softer will keep this from happening. OR new software that knows what to do with boost early under lighter throttle. I am convinced that if the bypass is the issue, that a stock motor CAN run 12psi successfully with the different bypass valve...

Tom

sd2649 10-31-2007 03:53 PM

when you say stock, you mean stock with new injectors and MAF, am I correct?

TomsSVX 10-31-2007 04:01 PM

yes

Tom123

sicksubie 11-01-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 505322)
I am convinced that if the bypass is the issue, that a stock motor CAN run 12psi successfully with the different bypass valve...

Tom

I was wondering that today after we got off the phone.

cdigerlando 11-02-2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 505322)
believe me... i cannot wait... I am not seeing the full potential of this motor because it pulls timing early and throughout the revs sometimes. SO this leads me to believe that with the new bypass which will let boost come on softer will keep this from happening. OR new software that knows what to do with boost early under lighter throttle. I am convinced that if the bypass is the issue, that a stock motor CAN run 12psi successfully with the different bypass valve...

Tom

Tom:

What exactly is happening that is causing you to think that the bypass valve is causing your problem? I assume you are referring to the bypass valve that blows off boost pressure when boost levels pre throttle are significantly higher that boost levels in the intake manifold. Kind of like a turbo blowoff valve.

One nice think about the tec 2 is that you can waste your bypass or blowoff valve to atmosphere, since it does not use an MAF. It's also tunable.

If you are going into detonation with the 8.5:1 compression pistons, it's a good bet the 10:1 compression pistons were also going into detonation. Have you ever considered a water injection or methanol injection system to reduce detonation? I know you guys can't easily set up an intercooler, so something like this might help. Also if you could get an idea of what your intake temperature is after boosting, that might help you out as well.

I wish I could tell you I could help with the tuning. I'm picking up my motor today. The crank should be finished some time next week. The next few weekends are tied up with a number of different tasks, so it looks like the motor won't be going in until January. That is if I get intake cams by then. I will be sharing my tuning information with everyone following the installation of an intercooler, so hopefully this helps, although it won't be for a while.

Chuck D.

TomsSVX 11-02-2007 08:38 AM

I am convinced the bypass valve is supplying more boost too early than the ECU is meant to read. That is why I am seeing 13 value AFR's and timing pulling back up to 10 degrees:rolleyes: So like I said, it is a mechanical issue, not really a software issue unless I wanted full boost at 1/2 throttle:rolleyes:

Tom

sicksubie 11-02-2007 08:40 AM

I think that we were seeing knock because boost was coming on too fast and too soon. The bypass valve spring is too stiff which is also why we are only seeing about 10-11" of vacuum. Tom said that it should be around 15-16" and the reason it is not is that we actually have small amounts of boost occurring at idle. I will let him explain it further though.

sicksubie 11-02-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 505827)
I am convinced the bypass valve is supplying more boost too early than the ECU is meant to read. That is why I am seeing 13 value AFR's and timing pulling back up to 10 degrees:rolleyes: So like I said, it is a mechanical issue, not really a software issue unless I wanted full boost at 1/2 throttle:rolleyes:

Tom

Why are you on at 10:40 AM??? Get back to corrupting the kids:p:lol:

TomsSVX 11-02-2007 08:42 AM

grumble grumble.... murder.... grumble... damn homeroom.... grumble

Tom

cdigerlando 11-02-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 505827)

Tom

????? Don't you want boost early? Hence the supercharger. Maybe Mike can tune your car for you. If you ever want to do that, I live in Orlando and have a guest room you could stay in. There is even a 4 wheel dyno that can be rented for about $750 per day. We actually got a few of us together and hired a tuner for our Imprezas.

Hopefully Mike will get to tuning his car with the built motor and the supercharger, then he could just flash your ECU with the new map. Getting this car squared away is a pain huh?

svxfiles 11-02-2007 09:31 AM

Overheard in YT's classroom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 505832)
grumble grumble.... murder.... grumble... damn homeroom.... grumble

Tom

"HEHEHEhehehe, "Old Man Johnson" dosen't remember what its like to be a kid"
"Yea, he's just an old grouch!"

cdigerlando 11-02-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 505830)
I think that we were seeing knock because boost was coming on too fast and too soon. The bypass valve spring is too stiff which is also why we are only seeing about 10-11" of vacuum. Tom said that it should be around 15-16" and the reason it is not is that we actually have small amounts of boost occurring at idle. I will let him explain it further though.

It sounds like you are still chasing a vacuum leak. If the bypass is working properly it should not be leaking. Do you have any way to plug the bypass line and run the motor at idle only to see if this fixes the vacuum leak?

Boost comming on quick is the wonderful thing about superchargers. I bet what is happening is the cams are allowing the supercharger to work much more efficiently, causing your boost to go up throughout the rev curve. I think you may need to do some more tuning with this motor. I'm glad you are bringing this up, as this will be an issue for all of us to deal with.

sicksubie 11-02-2007 12:12 PM

His motor isn't even built yet though and he won't be running a stage III set up......

sicksubie 11-02-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdigerlando (Post 505870)
It sounds like you are still chasing a vacuum leak. If the bypass is working properly it should not be leaking. Do you have any way to plug the bypass line and run the motor at idle only to see if this fixes the vacuum leak?

Boost comming on quick is the wonderful thing about superchargers. I bet what is happening is the cams are allowing the supercharger to work much more efficiently, causing your boost to go up throughout the rev curve. I think you may need to do some more tuning with this motor. I'm glad you are bringing this up, as this will be an issue for all of us to deal with.

There is NO vacuum leak and I am 150% sure of that. I took the belt off the bower and the car idled beautifully. You are right about the beauty of the S/C being early boost. That is great but not when your software does not take that into consideration.

cdigerlando 11-03-2007 07:40 AM

I got to thinking last night, I don't think the cams will cause more boost. In fact they should reduce the boost since they will "consume" air faster. Hard to tell though. Wasn't the tune done on a 9 lb. pully? If this was the case, this might be the problem with your tune.

TomsSVX 11-03-2007 08:48 AM

i was going to say that but I figured you would realize what you were saying. I am buying a rom reader/writer/eraser in the near future and I have a flashable chip for it. Using that with my g-tech I will try my best to get a better tune on the ol girl

Tom

cdigerlando 11-07-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 506050)
i was going to say that but I figured you would realize what you were saying. I am buying a rom reader/writer/eraser in the near future and I have a flashable chip for it. Using that with my g-tech I will try my best to get a better tune on the ol girl

Tom

How much does one of those cost?

TomsSVX 11-07-2007 02:38 PM

probably gonna cost close to $1k for the hardware:rolleyes: I may have a co-sponsor for it but I need to level out the order first

Tom

cdigerlando 11-07-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 507114)
probably gonna cost close to $1k for the hardware:rolleyes: I may have a co-sponsor for it but I need to level out the order first

Tom

That's a good price.

cdigerlando 11-07-2007 03:21 PM

Got my heads back from the machine shop. They look nice with the pretty new valves. Got the block back, but had to return it to have some grooves cut in the semi decking to allow some better coolant flow, since the inserts extend into the water passages. There is some room between the gasket and the bottom, but I want more room for sufficient flow. Also he needs to cut rings on the last three of my pistons. Hopefully he will finish by the end of the week so I can start to slowly assemble everything. I also received the cometic head gaskets and other subaru motor parts. I'll take pics as I progress through the assembly.

svxfiles 03-01-2012 02:41 PM

Re: Engine Build Progress and Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 477564)
we could have even called you Bill...http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...RU89/39418.JPG :p :p :p

Tom

THIS NEVER GETS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

SVXRide 03-01-2012 03:22 PM

and you dig up a thread from 2007 to abuse me with? :rolleyes::D
Bill

svxfiles 03-01-2012 03:54 PM

I have been pouring over engine build threads all day long.

At least THIS^ part was fun!:p

SomethingElse 03-01-2012 04:20 PM

Ive been doing some research as well. Where the heck can I get parts from anymore?? I need pistons,cams,rods..possibly valves...AHHH!:eek:

Svx95 07-21-2016 01:42 PM

Reviving a thread from the dead! I need to get a hold of LAN. Building an EG33 for boost :cool:.

LAN if you see this I sent you an email on 7/21/16. I need to know if you still have some engine goodies on hand.

-Sam