The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SVX paint problem - anyone have a fix? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17813)

deruvian 04-08-2004 07:03 PM

SVX paint problem - anyone have a fix?

My SVX is Barcelona Red (the stock color), and some of the paint is oxidizing. Specifically - the paint on the mirrors, on the plastic piece below rear windows (that nameless thing with the "Subaru SVX" badge on it), and on the spoiler.

I've had the oxidation somewhat removed before, but I had to have the car hand washed and clay-waxed... This was the most expensive car wash I've ever had to buy (about $60).

Is there another way to do this? Some spray on thingy that cuts through oxidation, but won't take the paint with it?

Should I go all ghetto and spraypaint these pieces and *hope* that they match the rest of the car? ;) :p

Seriously though, has anybody here run into this before? The paint is starting to look pretty bad, and it's almost gone on the top of the driver's side mirror (white patches are starting to show through the paint). Any suggestions would help.

Thanks.

Chicane 04-08-2004 07:31 PM

If the rest of your car is fine, I'd suggest taking off those pieces and getting them professional repainted. Your clearcoat is obviously gone, so you aren't going to win this battle unless you get new paint. :)

- Rob

deruvian 04-08-2004 08:20 PM

I have considered that, but was checkin to see if perhaps anyone had a different solution. Anyone? :confused: ;)

Ron Mummert 04-08-2004 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
I have considered that, but was checkin to see if perhaps anyone had a different solution. Anyone? :confused: ;)

Paint the mirrors flat black from a rattle-can. I mean who's gonna know, right? Only purists like us would dare point fingers & snicker out loud. Stay away from any meets & you'll be fine.

Glad to be of service.

Ron (Once had wheels on backwards, but lived through the humiliation).

deruvian 04-08-2004 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Paint the mirrors flat black from a rattle-can. I mean who's gonna know, right? Only purists like us would dare point fingers & snicker out loud. Stay away from any meets & you'll be fine.

Glad to be of service.

Ron (Once had wheels on backwards, but lived through the humiliation).

lol, thanks Ron. I just Photoshopped a couple red SVXs to check it out. Whadda ya think?

Speaking of Photoshop, if anyone ever needs some pro choppin (i.e. stickin a different spoiler on your car)... This is what I do for a living (not choppin, but graphic design).

deruvian 04-08-2004 11:26 PM

another pic

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know how to remove those nameless plastic pieces below the rear window (the ones with the "Subaru SVX" badges on them)? If I'm to take these to a pro to have them repainted, I would definitely need to remove them! :rolleyes:

red95svx 04-09-2004 09:51 AM

That nameless piece is called a rear quarter garnish.

Dave

red95svx 04-09-2004 12:00 PM

Having owned two red SVX's, I know how bad that fading red paint can look. To fix it right, you will have to paint them. But, as a quick fix, take some Armor-All and a clean rag and wipe down your rear quarter garnishes. That should improve them at least a little (it improves mine a lot!). Your mirrors sound a little too faded for this trick to work, but try it on them too.

Dave

Stevebsy 04-09-2004 01:13 PM

I feel your pain...

I have a 93 with the same cursed paint. In fact, every Japanese car I've owned with red paint has had that problem :(

Buffing does work, but I suppose I'll run out of paint thickness soon and will have to pay the big bucks to get it done right. Good luck getting the red to match if you try to repaint the pieces. It will probably have to be custom mixed to match with the rest of the car.

Those black mirrors don't look too bad, actually

dcarrb 04-09-2004 01:53 PM

Re: I feel your pain...

Quote:

Originally posted by Stevebsy
I have a 93 with the same cursed paint. In fact, every Japanese car I've owned with red paint has had that problem
It's not just red. The mirrors and quarter-trim on my car are in the same shape. Dabs of clearcoat touch-up helped much more than I expected.

dcb

deruvian 04-09-2004 02:02 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! Well, I wish it weren't a problem at all, but at least all of us sufferers are finding some tricks and quick fixes.

I'm gonna try out the Armor-All and the clearcoat touch-up and see how that goes.

Thanks a lot.

lee 04-09-2004 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! Well, I wish it weren't a problem at all, but at least all of us sufferers are finding some tricks and quick fixes.

I'm gonna try out the Armor-All and the clearcoat touch-up and see how that goes.

Thanks a lot.

don't try them together, unless of course you like the wrinkle finish look ;)

You could scuff the surface with a little paint prep (prepsol or enamel reducer, etc) and steel wool (to get rid of wax, etc) then tape it off and spray some rattle can clear coat. I think that would give you the best finish for lowest amount of $$

Chiketkd 04-09-2004 02:33 PM

You know there was a product I saw on an infommercial a few years ago which was supposed to bring back the shine and luster on a car's paint. I couldn't remember the name, and I searched the internet with no luck...

Anyone remember seeing it? They had a bunch of cars in a junkyard and applied the product and it removed the oxidation from the paint and brought back the shine. :confused:

ensteele 04-09-2004 02:34 PM

I used some very fine rubbing compound on mine and they came out looking like new. I have some pictures in my locker of the product. After getting the oxidation off of the morrors and other pieces, I waxed them and have kept wax on them and they have stayed very nice ever sence. :D

Andy 04-09-2004 02:47 PM

Is this what you are after?