The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX front brakes are the same as... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46405)

Nevin 09-30-2008 10:05 PM

SVX front brakes are the same as...

So, I was randomly browing around the internet one night (as usual) and I found a car forum that had a topic about "different cars that had the same parts." And it was actually really cool.

Things like... Morgan Aero has the same headlights as a new VW beetle, Aston Martin V8 Vantage has the same taillights as a Scirocco, etc...

Then, I happen to see the SVX is mentioned. Not only for one, but two things, with a completely different car! The first, while not as helpful, but still interesting is that it shares door handles with the last generation 300zx Nissan. Hmm, cool I guess. The second is that it shares front brake calipers with the same car. Hmmmm, now that's VERY interesting.

Now, this claim in itself would seem very vague, but everything in this forum had pictures with each claim, and from the looks of things, it all seemed to pan out (so to speak.)

So anyway, has anyone else ever heard this before? SVX front brakes = 300ZX brakes? Yay or nay?

If this is a yes, then that surely opens the floodgates for brake upgrades.

p.s. I'm trying to track down the website now, but it's taking me a while! If I can find it again, I'll post up a link.

ensteele 09-30-2008 10:14 PM

Re: SVX front brakes are the same as...

That is interesting. Yes, please post the link to the site you got that info from. :)

Nevin 09-30-2008 10:22 PM

*Still searching vigorously*

Can't find it! Maybe I'll switch search engines...

Nevin 09-30-2008 10:41 PM

Ha! Found It!

Here is the thread I was loking for.

Not any specific pictures for the calipers themselves, but evidentally there were more than a few manufacturers that used that same Sumitomo brand caliper.

Still not certain this is a match, but it is very interesting, nonetheless!

NikFu S. 09-30-2008 11:05 PM

Look closely, the SVX shown has aftermarket calipers.

http://www.milkmandan.org/dev/null/a...x_red_side.jpg

Crazy_pilot 09-30-2008 11:15 PM

The 300ZX, at least the TT model, has 4-piston front calipers, so we definitely don't "share" equipment with it. It's more likely a compatibility thing, there are swap-able parts out there.

svxistentialist 10-01-2008 04:43 AM

It may use the same caliper as the 300ZX, possibly the non turbo one.

The information given in the site is too vague, no parts numbers. It's possible that the same caliper is used in many applications, but using a different proprietary bracket for each application. In this case they would not be a straight swap.

There is likely to be some truth in this. We have discovered in the past that the front brake pads for the SVX are the same ones used for the Nissan Urvan and a Mazda 4x4 of the same vintage. This probably indicates these vehicles use the same caliper, although I suspect the brackets are different for each application.

Joe

Hocrest 10-01-2008 04:48 AM

Our front brake pads are a swappable with the following Nissan's;
1986 720 PICKUP
1994 - 1997 PICKUP
1986 - 1993 D21 PICKUP
1987 - 1988 VAN
1998 - 2004 FRONTIER
2003 XTERRA
1987 - 1995 PATHFINDER

Nevin 10-01-2008 05:41 PM

NikFu S. Yes, I realize that. I think the person showing was merely giving an example of the car. I think the car shown has the Movit big brake kit.

And everyone else, yes I do realize it's entirely possible that they don't fit, but I was just presenting it incase someone had the ability to check.

Also, I think Sumitomo made the same caliper for lots of different carmakers, but the mounting points are still different, if that makes sense...

Well, alright, it seems as though we've successfully de-bunked that myth.

SilverSpear 10-01-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 566492)

Freaking frustrating to see the SVX calipers are the same as "Pickups"

:barf:

XT6Wagon 10-02-2008 11:09 PM

if you look closely, you might note the SVX is BASED on the 300zx. Course Subaru being subaru seemed to end up using little other than the floorpan and gastank.

For fun lay out the sheetmetal diagrams from the FSM between a 300zx, a SVX and a legacy. Oh supplemental fun, a XT6 one as well. You will note that the layout of the SVX firewall back is very 300zx like, while the legacy is a platform update (very extensive update) of the XT6.

Regardless, Subaru and nissan shared mechanical bits for a hell of a long time before and after this.

XT6Wagon 10-02-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 566590)

Why? If a pickup is properly equipped it will have MORE brakes than what even a luxobarge needs. Trust me when I say the brakes on my F150 DWARF the STi's brembos in all regards. It kinda has to when the wieght it has to stop can top 15,000 lbs. The place you don't want to see pickup brakes is on the rear axle since pickups can actual run larger rear brakes than front if you have a auto brake bias system or ABS. I doubt there is many sportscars other than Porsches that see heavy rear wieght bias during normal operation.

Tim 10-03-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 566590)

I honestly hate seeing trucks with massive rims and tiny rotors.:rolleyes:

SilverSpear 10-03-2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XT6Wagon (Post 566853)
Why? If a pickup is properly equipped it will have MORE brakes than what even a luxobarge needs. Trust me when I say the brakes on my F150 DWARF the STi's brembos in all regards. It kinda has to when the wieght it has to stop can top 15,000 lbs. The place you don't want to see pickup brakes is on the rear axle since pickups can actual run larger rear brakes than front if you have a auto brake bias system or ABS. I doubt there is many sportscars other than Porsches that see heavy rear wieght bias during normal operation.

lol I know that... but

When you hear that SVX calipers are the same as pickups, you think on top of your head... Oh.. Ok.. nice...

But when they tell you your calipers are the same as... the Testarossa.. you think... Kewwwwwwwwwwwllllllllll !!!!!!!!! :cool:

lol..