The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Low power and stalling (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49839)

Famouspork 04-12-2009 06:06 PM

Low power and stalling

Hello
Everyday i use my svx at least twice.And the second time around, problems happen. WTF?
So today, I drove it for about 30 minutes, no problems at all. Three hours later, gotta go get my girlfriend at work. The car starts stalling when coming to a stop. Starts and drives fine after that.But it keeps losing power (i.e: turns completely off) when driving at stable speeds, but catches up right away if i push the gaz pedal... I heard my belts squealing, so I tighened the tensionner. But it still stalls once in a while and keeps giving me less power than it should.
I don't understand why the car would drive fine for a full 1 hour ride, and then start giving me troubles.I am sure it's electrical.I found out that the guy who fixed my rad fans connected a wire from the positive of the battery to the fusebox. Also, I've tightened the battery connections since they were a little loose. that gave me 2 days of tranquility.then my problems came back.
I am getting tired of it.
Please help, I love this car, but it is becoming erratic.

Wikedjuggalo 04-12-2009 06:30 PM

Re: Low power and stalling

MAF? (Mass Air Flow Sensor)

Manarius 04-12-2009 06:41 PM

MAF. Exactly what mine did when the MAF failed.

Green1995SVX 04-12-2009 06:44 PM

MAF. I agree!

Famouspork 04-12-2009 06:52 PM

I have changed the maf last month. The problem is the car runs like it misses fuel sometimes, or doesn't burn its fuel properly.I should change the fuel filter I guess, and check the fuel pump..

Manarius 04-12-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famouspork (Post 596792)
I have changed the maf last month. The problem is the car runs like it misses fuel sometimes, or doesn't burn its fuel properly.I should change the fuel filter I guess, and check the fuel pump..

Did you change it to one that is known as being good? Because what you're describing is exactly how misbehaving MAF's act.

TomsSVX 04-12-2009 08:09 PM

Is the Check Engine light on at any time or have you looked for history codes yet? I would start here

Tom

Famouspork 04-13-2009 06:41 AM

Bad ground maybe?There are no lights on the dash, I tryed getting the codes yesterday, but I'm doing something wrong..Forget the maf, its good.Also, I hear some switch or relay flicking quickly for a few seconds at a time behind the dashboard.Seems to me like a bad connection somewhere..

TomsSVX 04-13-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famouspork (Post 596840)
Bad ground maybe?There are no lights on the dash, I tryed getting the codes yesterday, but I'm doing something wrong..Forget the maf, its good.Also, I hear some switch or relay flicking quickly for a few seconds at a time behind the dashboard.Seems to me like a bad connection somewhere..

Sounds like the main relay going balistic. Check the gnd at the rear of the intake manifold on the passenger side. It might look tight and clean. Take it off and clean it again. Tighten it back down and I think you will be OK

Tom

Famouspork 04-14-2009 07:52 AM

awesome, will do that tonight.Sounds like it could be the solution to a few problems.Like yesterday, it misfired on one cylinder for a few seconds, then it was ok again..

ironstomp 04-14-2009 09:17 AM

what about the sensors under the intake manifold? my sisters svx is doing the same thing. when i took the manifold off i noticed one of the sensors broke then when i put it all back without the sensor, the car started to have the same symptoms. i still need to get them ordered...

1986nate 04-14-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironstomp (Post 597042)
what about the sensors under the intake manifold? my sisters svx is doing the same thing. when i took the manifold off i noticed one of the sensors broke then when i put it all back without the sensor, the car started to have the same symptoms. i still need to get them ordered...

That would probably be a knock sensor and if you remove one, it will cause the ecu to greatly retard the timing of the motor and cause it to run poorly as it is not getting the proper signal.

SoCal LS-L 04-14-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 597047)
That would probably be a knock sensor and if you remove one, it will cause the ecu to greatly retard the timing of the motor and cause it to run poorly as it is not getting the proper signal.

I believe the more acceptable way to say this is "mentally disabled" the timing. Sheesh! :lol:

Famouspork 04-14-2009 09:51 AM

Wouldn't a bad KS give me a check engine light??

1986nate 04-14-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famouspork (Post 597049)
Wouldn't a bad KS give me a check engine light??

Yes and no. It is possible for the sensor to be cracked (plastic case) and it won't throw a code but it will cause the sensor to read wrong or different than what it should.