The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SUPER NOOB Question... Been a long day (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37568)

stallion 02-19-2007 06:37 PM

SUPER NOOB Question... Been a long day

ok... I CANT GET THE TRANSMISSION DRAIN BOLT off :( i've become so delirious im starting to question myself... using a wrench (not a ratchet or anything) i'm looking smack at the bolt upside down (my feet are under the engine, i crawled in from the FRONT of the car. do I turn the wrench CLOCKWISE or COUNTERCLOCKWISE? i've been turning the transmission drain bolt COUNTERCLOCKWISE but it wont budge! my left arm is dead...

can anyone please please relieve me of this noob-dom?

TomsSVX 02-19-2007 06:40 PM

hit the wrench with a hammer or other large heavy blunt object(not your head). And yes, it is counter-clockwise to get it off

Tom

stallion 02-19-2007 06:53 PM

i kinda gave it a rest in fear that the bolt thread would be ruined and then I REALLY wouldnt b able to get it off.. in case I do is there a replacement bolt for such ? i've hit it with a hammer: no luck. nothing more frustrating than a impossible bolt.... do those LIQUID WRENCH sprays work by the way?

Hocrest 02-19-2007 07:08 PM

Are you sure that you are attempting the transmission and not the front differential?

The trans is a 17mm head, the front diff is ??21 or 22?? and has cooling fins around it.

Hocrest 02-19-2007 07:10 PM

It is the same as other Subaru trans and oil pans, so you can easily get one at any junkyard, I'm not sure if it's a common "parts store" item though?

stallion 02-19-2007 07:17 PM

Yeah, i'm sure. Black pan. I bought PB blaster. Hopefully its good as liquid wrench ?

Landshark 02-19-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stallion
Yeah, i'm sure. Black pan. I bought PB blaster. Hopefully its good as liquid wrench ?

even better. let it soak for 30 minutes and give it another crack.

immortal_suby 02-19-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

It's 1000 times better than liquid wrench.

edit: Newman.

Hocrest 02-19-2007 07:23 PM

OK, best bet will be a 17mm socket and a breaker bar, at minimum use a boxed end wrench. And a few hammer taps like Tom suggested will get it right off.

stallion 02-19-2007 08:32 PM

both my arms are literally dead (and i work out 5 times a week too)

soaked it in pb blaster... waited about 5-10 mins... tried... failed... soaked it.. repeated this process for i dont know how long? till my last post i guess. so about 1 hr. part of the thread is ruined, but i can still grip it in a certain angle. I dont have a breaker bar nor a 17mm socket (I have all sockets 15mm and under) so I might just secure a 17mm drain bolt (does anyone know if you can just buy this straight at a parts store? this is the exact same as the oil bolt right?) and go to a shop and have them take it off, then replace it with the new bolt.. i got so frustrated under that dang car because i'm not even at the tedious part yet (taking off 20 bolts) and i cant even get past the noob part!!!!!!

offtopic: the pb blaster soaked into my latex gloves and they ripped.. how cool...

-a very sore and irritated, yet relieved
stallion

TomsSVX 02-19-2007 08:38 PM

try brake kleen ont hose gloves.... if you want them to melt to your hand:D :D Good luck!! keep at it.

Tom

ensteele 02-19-2007 09:36 PM

I know how frustrating it can get when you know that it should come off and it won't. When you finally get it broken loose, you won't have to do it like that again.

Tom - would heat from a torch for a minute or so work? :confused: I get a little nervous when I have an open flame around oil and other fluids. :eek: :)

Budfreak 02-19-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

soaked it in pb blaster... waited about 5-10 mins... tried... failed... soaked it.. repeated this process for i dont know how long? till my last post i guess. so about 1 hr. part of the thread is ruined, but i can still grip it in a certain angle. I dont have a breaker bar nor a 17mm socket (I have all sockets 15mm and under) so I might just secure a 17mm drain bolt (does anyone know if you can just buy this straight at a parts store? this is the exact same as the oil bolt right?) and go to a shop and have them take it off, then replace it with the new bolt.. i got so frustrated under that dang car because i'm not even at the tedious part yet (taking off 20 bolts) and i cant even get past the noob part!!!!!!

offtopic: the pb blaster soaked into my latex gloves and they ripped.. how cool...

stallion

1.Get the biggest box wrench you have and a 17 MM open/box end wrench
2. Put the 17MM box end wrench on the tranny drain
3.place the box end of the big wrench inside the open end of the wrench that is on the tranny drain and use it as a lever or breaker.

Speedklix 02-19-2007 10:16 PM

First time changing the ATF? Looks like whoever did it before wanted to make sure they were the last :eek:

Sucks man.

are you adventurous enough to simply remove the pan without draining first? or is the drain plug blocking one of those bolts too? it'd be more messy... but still

TomsSVX 02-19-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

stallion

Wait, you are dropping the pan?? just drop it and let it drain... this way you can work on it out of the car

Tom