The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tiny light bulbs in switches (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24058)

billisa 01-25-2005 05:58 AM

Tiny light bulbs in switches

Two of my overhead switches have had their lights go out. Does anyone have the number of the bulb, and also, do you have to unscrew the whole housing to get at these bulbs?

red95svx 01-25-2005 07:46 AM

The part number for the bulb is 84920AC050. They run about $2.00 each. If I remember correctly there are 4 of them.....1 each for the spot lights, 1 for the 2 left switches, 1 for the two right switches (SPOT, DOOR / ROOM, SPOT)

The assembly is easy to remove. Near each spot light lens is a small opening. Pry the spot light lenses off by using a small flathead screwdriver in that opening. When both lenses are off you will see two philips head screws. Remove those screws and the whole assembly can be removed....well, almost. Unless you disconnect the wiring harness the assembly can only be moved down a few inches, but that's all you'll need to replace the bulbs.

Dave

EDIT: I left out the part numbers for the tiny bulbs. My bad! Check out the list.

ensteele 01-25-2005 08:53 AM

Here is the list the list in the "How-To Documents". :)

lee 01-25-2005 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Here is the list the list in the "How-To Documents". :)
Earl,

Not sure who can change it, but the headlamps in the How To list are referenced as 9004 & 9005 when it should be 9005 & 9006

billisa 01-25-2005 12:08 PM

Thanks

Thanks All!!!

billisa 01-25-2005 03:12 PM

!!!!

OK, so I took down the whole assembly, and while I was in there I replaced the two spot light bulbs -- just cause...

BUT I can't see how in the heck to get at the bulbs for the switches themselves... I was looking from behind, below...

Any more help?

ZMan 01-25-2005 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the list of bulbs with the headlight numbers corrected.
The list is a wordpad document.

svxistentialist 01-25-2005 05:31 PM

Re: !!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by billisa
OK, so I took down the whole assembly, and while I was in there I replaced the two spot light bulbs -- just cause...

BUT I can't see how in the heck to get at the bulbs for the switches themselves... I was looking from behind, below...

Any more help?

I recently did all the small bulbs in my Legacy.
[The same as the SVX in most cases, thanks Earl]

Have not had the overhead switches off yet, did not need to.

The bulbs are extremely small. The base is about the size of the confetti that a paper punch pushes out. It has a slot that a blade screw-driver will catch, and screws in about a quarter turn.

Where the bulb is inserted into the switch can sometimes be covered over by a light aluminium patch[sticky] which stops stray light showing up elsewhere in the assembly that should be dark.

So maybe the bulb you look for is covered over.

Look closely at each switch for a hole the size I mentioned above, that will be the bulb aperture.

Joe

ensteele 01-25-2005 10:46 PM

You may have to take the 4 small screws off of the frame to get to the part under it that has the 2 small bulbs.

I will fix the list in the How-To Docs. I remember that I was supposed to fix it after I provided the link.

:)

billisa 01-26-2005 06:35 AM

Quote:

You may have to take the 4 small screws off of the frame to get to the part under it that has the 2 small bulbs.

I will fix the list in the How-To Docs. I remember that I was supposed to fix it after I provided the link.

:)

I did that. Took off all 4 screws, and that really doesn't get you any closer because the whole switch assembly is in a metal case with small openings.

It's as if you'd have to do a major disassembly. There are other screws, but it's not clear if they get you any nearer to getting at the bulbs...

If I'm missing something please let me know.

ensteele 01-26-2005 08:50 AM

The assembly comes out of the roof (two screws). Then the case comes off of the back of it (4 small screws on the 4 corners). Then there are two small brown bulb holders that screw out 1/4 turn. These may be behind a sticky tape or a foam cover over them. :)

billisa 01-26-2005 11:40 AM

Quote:

The assembly comes out of the roof (two screws). Then the case comes off of the back of it (4 small screws on the 4 corners). Then there are two small brown bulb holders that screw out 1/4 turn. These may be behind a sticky tape or a foam cover over them. :)
OK, definitely missed the brown bulb holders behind the tape. Did see the tape though. Didn't feel right about pulling it.

Thanks.