The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which oil filter? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5343)

CGLathrop 08-12-2002 07:27 PM

Which oil filter?

After reading through the oil filter life thread, I was wondering what oil filters are everyone using.

For the record I have used whatever the dealer put the Subaru name on.

mattski 08-13-2002 06:50 AM

I have been using Fram but given some of the recent bad press I have decided to try Walmart. Their Synthetic oil is also worth a try.

Earthworm 08-13-2002 11:26 AM

I think a better question to ask is if anyone has ever had an oil filter related issue?

I've used a Fram doublegard and am currently using a Subaru oil filter. I'm using Mobil1 10w30.

mohrds 08-13-2002 01:36 PM

I use the Fram ToughGuard and Penzoil 10w-40

I also use the Fram Air filters.

Has anyone tested to see if the Fram PH8a fits on the SVX? That would increase the oil capacity to almost 7 qts.

immortal_suby 08-13-2002 04:28 PM

I use a purolator pure one. According to the minimopar oil filter study this is the same as a subaru factory filter. I have had no problems with the seal blowing out or anything else yet.

The ph8a is the size I use on my tranny filter. Next time I change it I'll compare it to the factory oil filter.

ensteele 08-14-2002 12:26 AM

I use a PH8A on my tranny filter as well. I don't know if the filter media is different or not. :confused:

dromano 08-25-2002 07:45 PM

Fram filter media

I asked Fram about the smallest particles the X2 series can capture. The reply: 10 microns. It's the same for all their oil filter series. The difference from series to series is the amout of media. The more ya pay the more media in the filter.

David

Green1995SVX 08-25-2002 07:48 PM

I only use the subaru ones from the dealer. :)

-M

dromano 08-25-2002 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele93
I use a PH8A on my tranny filter as well. I don't know if the filter media is different or not. :confused:
Next time take a look at the Fram X2 equivalent, it'll cost you 10 bucks, I think it's worth the added cost.:)

David

nvrmore100 08-25-2002 09:57 PM

I honestly have no idea what filter I'm using. However I tend to stick with the new ones with the nice grip on them. :) Makes for removing them next oil change a lot nicer.

nubs 08-26-2002 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I only use the subaru ones from the dealer. :)

-M

Me too:)

svx1999 08-30-2002 10:18 AM

oil filters

hmm I've used the Fram Filter...
And the Mobil 1 Filter.... The M1 filter is not that cheap.
As far as Who is better??? the M1 does filter down a bit further..
I would say use the filter that has the most Media...

Well the Rubber Grip ones are easy to put on, but the Rubber never makes it to the Next oil change... Gets brittle and just flakes off. Now what is this about useing a PH8A... I think that Fits a linocoln if I'm not mistaken... Actually it does fit a lincoln continental.. I thought that number rang a bell..
Never thought of trying the larger filter.... I had noticed the SVX filter was a bit tiny... Damn good idea there.

Car quest filters brand are made by Wix if anyone wants to know. As far as Oil goes.. Mobil 1 is what I use in all cars.
Used that in the OLd lincoln that has currently 250,000 miles. And still rolling on down the road..

Not bad for american car.. I use it with others that tend to ( forget) to have the oil changed as often as it should..... insurance.

I feel one can certainly go a little while longer on Mobil oil.. Just change the filter ever 3k and top off Fluid. However on the SVX as HOT as this car runs.... um I change all the FLuid..

just my 2 cents.

svx1999

Ca$h 08-31-2002 08:37 AM

Speaking of which, why does the SVX run so hot?! I can't even pull the dipstick out without scalding myself; I now know to use a paper towel to grab the dipstick to insulate it. Why is this car so 'hot'?!??

- Ca$h

dromano 08-31-2002 08:52 AM

Re: oil filters

Quote:

Originally posted by svx1999
hmm I've used the Fram Filter...
And the Mobil 1 Filter.... The M1 filter is not that cheap.
As far as Who is better??? the M1 does filter down a bit further..
I would say use the filter that has the most Media...

Well the Rubber Grip ones are easy to put on, but the Rubber never makes it to the Next oil change... Gets brittle and just flakes off. Now what is this about useing a PH8A... I think that Fits a linocoln if I'm not mistaken... Actually it does fit a lincoln continental.. I thought that number rang a bell..
Never thought of trying the larger filter.... I had noticed the SVX filter was a bit tiny... Damn good idea there.

Car quest filters brand are made by Wix if anyone wants to know. As far as Oil goes.. Mobil 1 is what I use in all cars.
Used that in the OLd lincoln that has currently 250,000 miles. And still rolling on down the road..

Not bad for american car.. I use it with others that tend to ( forget) to have the oil changed as often as it should..... insurance.

I feel one can certainly go a little while longer on Mobil oil.. Just change the filter ever 3k and top off Fluid. However on the SVX as HOT as this car runs.... um I change all the FLuid..

just my 2 cents.

svx1999

The Fram PH8A fits the Perma Cool add on filter mount & various
Ford engines & what ever else it fits on

mohrds 08-31-2002 01:00 PM

<<The Fram PH8A fits the Perma Cool add on filter mount & various Ford engines & what ever else it fits on>>

The also fit on almost all Chrysler FWD 4 & 6Cyl as a replacement for the OEM 1/2 Qt filter.

Next Oil Change, I'll see if the seal and threads match on the PH8A fo rthe SVX

"More is better"

Doug