The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question for those interested in 5 speed swaps (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8076)

wawazat?? 01-09-2003 05:11 PM

Question for those interested in 5 speed swaps

If I were to source and ship you the major components (trans, rear diff, pedals, shifter) how many would be interested/capable of doing the swap themselves?

I've spent a lot of time researching the components at my dealer and know what year cars use what gear ratios. You'd still have to do fabrication/installation yourself.

Any interest? I'm tinking I can source the parts above for around $1000.

Todd

Ovidiu STAN 01-09-2003 05:28 PM

I intend to do it myself and I think I will spend around $1000 for parts. I think I can do the conversion and I found almost everything I need.

Since you said that you have done some research on the matter could you confirm that a 2002 legacy transmission would fit?

I 've got an e-mail like this:

"'02 Legacy aren't very good. Subaru decided to re-engineer the flanges on the tranny assembly, making them about 2mm too thick "

According to your info sources; does it work?

Thanks,
Ovidiu

immortal_suby 01-09-2003 05:36 PM

I'm in. (and Kim bought me a 90 amp mig welder for christmas, heh heh)
What's stopping you from fabbing the mount and modding the pedal assembly to fit. (I still don't know how to use the welder)

Jay_Walker 01-09-2003 05:42 PM

If wishes were horses, i'd be knee deep in ****.

wawazat?? 01-09-2003 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
I'm in. (and Kim bought me a 90 amp mig welder for christmas, heh heh)
What's stopping you from fabbing the mount and modding the pedal assembly to fit. (I still don't know how to use the welder)

KIM ROCKS!!! That's awesome Matt!

I should have some news on my welders shortly. If I get them (MIG and TIG) I'll look at doing the mounts. I don't intend on horning in on Small Car's business. More leaning toward sourcing parts for those who cannot.

Todd

wawazat?? 01-09-2003 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ovidiu STAN
I 've got an e-mail like this:

"'02 Legacy aren't very good. Subaru decided to re-engineer the flanges on the tranny assembly, making them about 2mm too thick "

According to your info sources; does it work?

Thanks,
Ovidiu

STAN,

While I can't measure an '02 Legacy tranny, I can tell you that the '91 Legacy tranny and the '02 WRX tranny I have in my garage are different, but I'm not too worried. The entire flange is not thicker, but the bolt hole areas are different, some in fact are thicker.

My sources give me gear ratios, clutch release types, etc but not if a specific trans will fit on the EG33.

Todd

alacrity024 01-09-2003 07:40 PM

Todd-

I'd be very interested. If you can source all the necessary parts for a grand, you've got smallcar beat by a couple thousand bucks, less shipping. Here's the thing.. I'm not a mechanic, but I can follow instructions. More valuable to me than cheap parts would be a well-written, in-depth, photo-illustrated, step-by-step guide on doing the swap. Coupled with a $1000 swap kit, I'd sell my vdrums in an instant for the cash.

-Adam

SVXphile 01-09-2003 09:45 PM

Tranny swap

Hey....I'm game! (I never say that during hunting season...)

I have all the mechanical skills necessary....I built a birdhouse from a kit, and made an ashtray in art class once! (well, to be honest, it didn't start OUT being an ashtray..... :rolleyes: )

:D Don

subafan 01-09-2003 10:58 PM

all the parts for 1000? that sounds like a good deal to me.... as soon as i can find someone to install it for me... (no time whatsoever)

just a thought, how long is the drive from madison to utica, maybe i can drive the car over and have it done there?? and fly over to pick it up??

wasions 01-09-2003 11:37 PM

It just occurred to me that about a week after the WRX STi ship comes in, they'll probably be available at your local junk yard. :eek: So is that 6-speed gonna fit? :cool: :D

LarryIII 01-10-2003 05:01 AM

Re: Tranny swap

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
Hey....I'm game! (I never say that during hunting season...)

I have all the mechanical skills necessary....I built a birdhouse from a kit, and made an ashtray in art class once! (well, to be honest, it didn't start OUT being an ashtray..... :rolleyes: )

:D Don

Don,

Wasn't the ash tray supposed to be a license plate ?
Is that how you and Jean met ?:D :D :D

Alcyone SVX LSL 01-10-2003 07:46 AM

Re: Re: Tranny swap

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII

Don,

Wasn't the ash tray supposed to be a license plate ?
Is that how you and Jean met ?:D :D :D

hehe good one Larry:p

I would love to have a couple grand for one, i would be very willing if i had 2k sitting around.

svx_commuter 01-10-2003 10:46 AM

Re: Question for those interested in 5 speed swaps

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
If I were to source and ship you the major components (trans, rear diff, pedals, shifter) how many would be interested/capable of doing the swap themselves?

I've spent a lot of time researching the components at my dealer and know what year cars use what gear ratios. You'd still have to do fabrication/installation yourself.

Any interest? I'm tinking I can source the parts above for around $1000.

Todd

Todd this sounds very good. What about the rear cross member? Can we get a drawing on that and get fabed out? What about the drive shaft?

How strong would the clutch be? What transmission is it?

I would really like to do this to my car and the price sounds right.

John

Shocker33 01-10-2003 01:09 PM

welding....

being the farm kid that i am we learned to weld at a young age (12). Oh yea since we have the racecars we have two miller wire feed migs. A tig torch and I have a Spool gun on a systematics (they make snap-on welders). Oh yea and two Lincoln stick welders

wawazat?? 02-05-2003 08:34 PM

BUMP

Watch this space for pictures!

Coming soon to a Network near you!

Todd