The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Subaru News (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8749)

benebob 02-12-2003 07:50 AM

O/T Subaru News

From this week's Crain's Auto News.

GM is looking into rebadging a WRX as a low end Saab (guess everyone labeling the Subaru as the poor man's Saab were years ahead of their time) :D .

Subaru Dealers are VERY upset about the blurring of their product lines after GM had promised this would not happen.

Lance Armstrong has been signed as the new spokesman

Out: The beauty of awd, In: "Subaru: Driven by what's inside"

Subaru is continuing with solo development of a 7 pass vehicle which would be a 2006 model year is the development gets the green light.

Subaru and GM are still struggling to find a mutual benefit.:D

Mr. Pockets 02-12-2003 07:58 AM

The two companies are just driven by different things. Yeah, they're both in it for profit in the end, but they go about it in different ways. Nevermind the difference in corporate culture between an American car company and a Japanese one.

I never really understood what GM hoped to gain from an investment in Subaru. Of course Subaru gains the money for R&D and marketing. :D

As for the WRX as an 'entry-level Saab,' if that's true then I think I'd rather buy the low-end than the high-end of that line.

Subafreak 02-12-2003 08:41 PM

Who is Lance Armstrong? and screw GM.

Bwana 02-12-2003 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Who is Lance Armstrong?
The astonaut, possibly? :rolleyes:

Pretty good marketing on Suby's part....with the recent NASA thing and all....

Subafreak 02-12-2003 09:12 PM

Man, that guys still alive? Wasn't he like the first guy to walk on the moon?

Kurt_W 02-12-2003 09:17 PM

Lance Armstrong is that bicyclist that had a really nasty batch of cancer but recovered and went on to win the Tour de France....

The astronaut was Neil Armstrong...

Subafreak 02-12-2003 09:23 PM

I'm Misses Nesbit!

Bwana 02-12-2003 09:40 PM

Did i say astronaut? I meant bicyclist!

CDG 02-12-2003 09:54 PM

Snap out of it Buzz......

Green1995SVX 02-12-2003 10:30 PM

Re: O/T Subaru News

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob

In: "Subaru: Driven by what's inside"

Makes sense... Ugly cars with good engines.... I'm sure as hell glad its not driven by whats outside(styling). UGH! Is it me or is the current Subaru product line the ugliest bunch of cars around?

I'll keep my svx, thank you. :D :D

Mike

Green1995SVX 02-12-2003 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Who is Lance Armstrong? and screw GM.
:shakes head: :(

Mike

alltrac 02-12-2003 10:43 PM

swedish automobiles always breakdown uses a turbocharged version of the ecotec thats in use in the sunfire/caliver/ion and I thought saab's are known for torque steer FWD and the ignition in the center I know saab has killed the Hatch back but this new saab car platform is being used in the generals new cheby malibu please tell me if this is true as my subscription to autoweek has ran out :confused:

Seraph 02-12-2003 11:03 PM

The only SAAB i like was the prototype 900x That was a nice car.
As for WRX, they can do what they want with the that car as long as they don't re-introduce the SVX on by slapping SVX on the WRX or Legacy. I love the Legacy and Outback Sedan, but SVX still kick ass when it comes to design from the outside. Inside, its pretty good, under the hood, is amazing but tranny can be a little better.

Didn't I tell you all that the Aussie dude is done about six months ago? So I guess if I have to take everything seriously out of what the VP of SOA told me, we should have the H6 with 5 speed within a year and half tops.

L

ensteele 02-12-2003 11:23 PM

Remember - you heard it here FIRST!!! :eek: Thanks Lwin. :cool: :)

benebob 02-13-2003 06:26 AM

Re: Re: O/T Subaru News

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Makes sense... Ugly cars with good engines.... I'm sure as hell glad its not driven by whats outside(styling). UGH! Is it me or is the current Subaru product line the ugliest bunch of cars around?

I'll keep my svx, thank you. :D :D

Mike

Um Mike, you forgot about Poniclad. Any company that would let the Aztec make it that far in their production line deserves the worst styling award even if the rest of their line up includes 10 Ferarris. I have never though Subaru had horrible styling. Its very homely but then again its not or does it ever pretend to be "in vogue". Their design philosophy is fuction dictates form so even the oldest of Subies kinda has a timeless look rather than being cornered into the year it came out. Keep in mind they designed the original Legacy for less than what GM spent to do the dash for the original Lumina.:D