The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   US vs JDM vs ER CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50901)

briansvx 07-09-2009 08:11 AM

US vs JDM vs ER CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT

Hi!
Does anyone know if left hand side version of the JDM climate control unit design ever existed? Germany models?

subeman90 07-09-2009 09:44 AM

Re: US vs JDM vs ER CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT

I got to ask...why?

Green1995SVX 07-09-2009 12:39 PM

No. The two screen model was only on the RHD svxs.

Mike

svxcess 07-09-2009 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I checked all of my european SVX brochures from Germany and the Netherlands.

They all have the same climate controls as the US-spec ones. Seems like the electronic ones were JDM/RHD only.

They did have a different stereo head unit though, mounted low. The car in this photo had the velour/vinyl seats, so it wasn't top-of-the-line, and did not have a CD player.

They also had the leveling switch for the headlights on the console (where our door lock switch is on the later cars) and the power antenna switch as well.

Here is a photo from the German brochure, the one from the Netherlands is similar.

subiemech85 09-14-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 608764)

They did have a different stereo head unit though, mounted low. The car in this photo had the velour/vinyl seats, so it wasn't top-of-the-line, and did not have a CD player.

looks like it has a cd changer!!

svxistentialist 09-14-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 608764)
I checked all of my european SVX brochures from Germany and the Netherlands.

They all have the same climate controls as the US-spec ones. Seems like the electronic ones were JDM/RHD only.

They also had the leveling switch for the headlights on the console (where our door lock switch is on the later cars) and the power antenna switch as well.

John that is the stereo unit that comes with all "fully loaded" European cars, the rhd English cars also get that one. It has a 12 CD changer in the boot.

I'm of the opinion this stereo unit is way ahead of the standard unit, both in functionality and also in sound quality. Just as an indicator of complexity, the standard unit [similar to what my jdm base model had] merits 4 pages of explanation in the owner manual. The RD 25 unit takes 20 pages to explain. :eek:

But as I said, it's ahead on quality. There is a very good quality sound from it, and the radio tuner is excellent at pulling weak stations. Strangely it is not equipped with the twin aerial inputs of the "diversity" system in the other unit, but still it gives a better reception. The electric aerial is manual though, and it does need the aerial switched on and erected to give best reception.

Joe :)

svxistentialist 09-14-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briansvx (Post 608722)
Hi!
Does anyone know if left hand side version of the JDM climate control unit design ever existed? Germany models?

What side do they drive in Taiwan Brian? Same as Japan/UK, or are cars LHD?

I think it is a blessing in disguise to have the non-electronic climate control. The Japanese and UK ones develop a fault late in life. So far I have not heard of US type systems developing this fault.

Joe :)

b3lha 09-15-2009 07:19 AM

The subaru select monitor program checks which type of climate unit is fitted in order to report whether the car is RHD or LHD. So I can pretty much guarantee that you won't find a LHD version of the JDM unit.

svxistentialist 09-15-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 617679)
The subaru select monitor program checks which type of climate unit is fitted in order to report whether the car is RHD or LHD. So I can pretty much guarantee that you won't find a LHD version of the JDM unit.

That's interesting Phil, and tallies with what we know.

Other interesting facts have come to light with some new [world-wide] members coming forward with information on their cars. Such as:

Australian SVXes have the jdm 'keyless entry' system. UK cars, also rhd, don't have it.

Australian SVX specifications show they have vented disks on the front, but the cheaper solid disks on the back like the USA got.

Australian SVXes got glass headlights, unlike the inferior plastic ones jdm and US cars were supplied with. However, although these glass lamps have the same blanking plate on the inside instead of a fog lamp [just like the Euro models got] they do not have:
  • electric beam leveller inside the cabin
  • power headlight washers

Australian SVXes are shown in at least one of the catalogues as having the cheaper 'engine speed sensing' power steering.

What this implies is the parent company marketing people were cutting costs wherever they could to keep the Australian price competitive.

Joe