The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Driving the SVX to TN. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46740)

greggbzz 10-28-2008 06:15 AM

Driving the SVX to TN.

Leaving for TN today. It's about an 11 hour drive. I plan to do it straight through. Any last minute suggestions? Stuff to bring in case of emergency?

Suggestions to keep awake?

I'm headed to Cleveland, and am going to do the Dragon, hopefully.

Mensaf 10-28-2008 06:24 AM

Re: Driving the SVX to TN.

For the sake of both car and driver, you're suppossed to take a 15-30 minute break every 3-4 hours.

Keep a AAA card handy, a bunch of snacks/drinks, and an mp3 player/your own CDs. The thing I hate most about long trips like that is that all the radio stations keep changing.

Wikedjuggalo 10-28-2008 07:05 AM

Ramps and a set of Metric wrenchs. hahaha Good Luck but a set or ramps come in very handy ask OT =D.

svxfiles 10-28-2008 07:17 AM

Check all the fluids and tire pressures before you go.
And yes, like Nate says, bring a set of wrenches.
A flashlight and a blanket.

greggbzz 10-28-2008 07:26 AM

Ahh flashlight and blanket. Did not think of that.

How do I squeeze ramps in there? I can make them fit probabbly.

Wikedjuggalo 10-28-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggbzz (Post 570448)
Ahh flashlight and blanket. Did not think of that.

How do I squeeze ramps in there? I can make them fit probabbly.

Fold the back seats down =D

svxistentialist 10-28-2008 08:01 AM

Bring a gallon plastic jug with water or better still coolant in case you spring a leak.

Bring a litre of engine oil and a litre of transmission oil. Just in case.

Make sure you have a charged up cell phone.

Make sure you have some numbers for emergency tow services [Hey, when you have these things, you never need them. Murphy's Law! :rolleyes::D]

You need two stubby screwdrivers [blade and philips] and a few varied hose clips. [Murphy's Law again ;) ]

You DO need to take that break every 3-4 hours as mentioned. If you are feeling tired, stop, get out, walk around a little and keep your circulation good. A hot flask of strong coffee is a good thing to bring for these feeling sleepy breaks.

Take care man, be sensible and enjoy your trip.

Joe :)

dcarrb 10-28-2008 08:04 AM

My "travel kit" is in a big plastic container that fits up under the package shelf in the trunk and holds a cigarette lighter socket flood light, oil, ATF, brake fluid, jumper cables, duct tape, bailing wire, hose clamps, sandpaper, a tarp, and I don't even know what all else. I also have about six feet of new transmission fluid hose coiled up in the wheel of the spare, and a couple of blocks of wood for chocking the wheels and placing beneath the jack. All this, plus a toolbox, and (in cool weather) a heavy, hooded sweatshirt inside a plastic bag. Plus flashlights in the glovebox and console. Plus spare batteries. And a very serious breaker bar.

I've been driving old cars for 30+ years; can you tell?

dcb

rvnmaniac 10-28-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggbzz (Post 570442)
Leaving for TN today. It's about an 11 hour drive. I plan to do it straight through. Any last minute suggestions? Stuff to bring in case of emergency?

Suggestions to keep awake?

I'm headed to Cleveland, and am going to do the Dragon, hopefully.

have fun on the Dragon. Been there on a motorcycle would love to try it in the SVX. Might as well find your way to the Cherohala Skyway also.....probably would be even more of a hoot then the Dragon.

http://www.cherohala.com/

Freeman 10-28-2008 09:08 AM

Five hour energy shots always work for with long distance drives and there is no crash, which is great for any car trip (ha, crash, car.. Get it?)! Also Bawls energy drinks are highly effective, for me at least..

subeman90 10-28-2008 10:00 AM

when you get near the Dragon turn off the cell phone to save batteries cause it won't work there anyhow. Remember that wet leaves are slippery so be careful and watch for the cops they can get you while moving. It is VERY expensive too (My ticket this summer was over $200). :eek::mad: I got pulled over on the last long straight stretch going into the dragon....the limit was 40 and I was doing 63 (I thought I saw a sign for 55).

One last thing to add to the list: Spare tranny :lol:

huck369 10-28-2008 11:07 AM

If you come by here, look me up...

And Matt...ther are NO straight stretches on the Dragon:lol:
You must mean on the way to or from the Dragon;)

If it were on a weekend, I'd try to meet you down there, as it's only about 3 hours from me...

greggbzz 10-28-2008 11:08 AM

Thank you for all the advice. I'm leaving now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90
One last thing to add to the list: Spare tranny

Gregg has a 5-speed :-)

subeman90 10-28-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggbzz (Post 570464)
Thank you for all the advice. I'm leaving now!

Gregg has a 5-speed :-)

lucky.... :D

subeman90 10-28-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 570463)
If you come by here, look me up...

And Matt...ther are NO straight stretches on the Dragon:lol:
You must mean on the way to or from the Dragon;)

If it were on a weekend, I'd try to meet you down there, as it's only about 3 hours from me...

i said going INTO the dragon. ;)