The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   European Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Climate Control Unit Caught Fire (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62260)

b3lha 11-01-2013 04:20 PM

Climate Control Unit Caught Fire

I was out for a drive in the black 92 last week when smoke started pouring from the dash around the radio. :eek: I quickly pulled over, grabbed the tool kit from the boot and disconnected the battery. The smoke continued. Fearing that there was a fire behind the dash, I took the screwdriver and started pulling the dash apart as quickly as I could.

There was much less smoke now, but I could see that it was coming from the climate control unit and it was very hot to touch. By the time I got the unit out and opened it up, the fire had gone out by itself. It looks like some component on the back of the temperature display overheated and set light to the ribbon cable and the clear plastic sheet next to it.

While I was busy attacking the dash with a screwdriver, a cop arrived, thinking I was trying to steal the car. Reminded me of the old Kenny Everett sketch about car insurance: "Fire and Theft? Leave it out! Who's going to nick a car that's on fire?" :lol:

The unit had been playing up recently, some of the segments of the temperature display were brighter than others. But I never expected this to happen.

So anyway, I really need another Climate Control unit. If anybody knows of a breaker that has one, please let me know.

Blacky 11-01-2013 05:03 PM

Re: Climate Control Unit Caught Fire

Close call indeed. I'm glad it went out on it's own. That's the first I've heard of the climate control unit starting a fire.

Phil Hill 11-07-2013 03:51 AM

Bad luck Phil, but good job it went out on it's own.

Not sure who would have such a rare part, occasionally there are cars being broken on Ebay, but that's about it !!

Good luck on finding a replacement.

Phil.

Blacky 11-07-2013 05:54 AM

There are plenty of them available on this side of the pond if they are the same for right and left hand drive, which I assume they are. I even have one I might part with.

dragoontwo 11-07-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 729591)
There are plenty of them available on this side of the pond if they are the same for right and left hand drive, which I assume they are. I even have one I might part with.

They are not.

b3lha 11-11-2013 04:29 PM

I managed to get one from a breaker.
Unfortunately it's faulty. Whatever you set the temperature to, it counts down to 18 degrees. But I think that may be fixable, when I get the time to investigate it.
At least now I can put the fans on to clear the windows.

Dessertrunner 11-11-2013 06:38 PM

Hi Phil,
You use compressed air behind the display, rock it one way then the other, its a bit of dirt behind the display/button that is the problem. If you can't fix it let me know, send me a email.

I have a guy in Ireland that I need to get a SVX engine for any chance you have some contacts that I can get one from.
Tony

b3lha 11-12-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks Tony, I'll look into it.

I don't know anybody with an engine. They all get snapped up by the VW beetle/camper guys.

SURTEESS 11-12-2013 04:26 PM

Hey Phil,
did you fix your "always low reading" display issue - I now have similar problem with mine....any thoughts?.

Steve in New Zealand