The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rattle, Rattle (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18085)

KennEls 04-19-2004 06:26 AM

Rattle, Rattle

Developed a rattle somewhere underneath the car. Anywhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm's and more noticable when the car was idling down when approaching a stop.

So I did a search of the forum and found that it was either the heat shields rattling or a resonator with probable loose baffles.

Very embarassing little mongrel noise.

Sounded more like it would be the resonator as it was so noticable when driving through areas where there was an echo of the surrounding buildings.So a quick few phone calls to muffler shops and after explaining what a SVX was, no not Sex, they all said they would have to see it before they could give a guesstimate.

Today I got the chance to put the car on the hoist at the Suberu dealer in Ipswich, and after their initial thought of some wheel problems it turns out that the exhaust pipe has had a small knock and has pushed a heat shield onto the tail shaft. "Small hand reaches up, pulls it down and walla beautifully quiet car again".

Now I've just got to find out who drove too quickly over that speed bump, ..............oops only one driver :)

Kenn

OZ_SVX96 04-19-2004 06:55 AM

Only one driver.......

Yep, that'll get ya every time. No one else to blame. Oh well it's better to be safe than sorry, that is why I restrict access to mine by hiding the keys, secret alarms, trained attack dogs, snipers.....oops there I go, I think I might have said too much.:D

pylon500 04-20-2004 07:00 AM

Lucky it was only the exhaust. :rolleyes:
Last time I heard a rattle under the car, the gearbox s#!t itself. :mad: :(
Arthur.

Sonar 04-20-2004 07:23 AM

Maybe you should try our way to deal with it .....the snowmobile way I mean ... :) -Just punch it, FLY over those moguls barely touching the top of each :):D :D :rolleyes:

-But then again....maybe not... :D

/Sonny :cool:

Jamsvx 04-20-2004 05:18 PM

Hey Sonar

Love the pics of the snow - Scandanavia is on our 'to see' list when we head over to Europe so will have to try and meet up

*hmmm....powersliding SVX's in the snow......*

:D

svxsvx 09-02-2005 11:35 PM

exhaust improvements

1 Attachment(s)
The rattle or burble was fun for a while but it just got unbearable. The OEM exhaust, apart from weighing a ton, was big dollars so I went with a twin system from the cats - much better and the new system cost less than 75% of the price of the new muffler. Had some Interesting changes with the new system. Fractionally slowly off the mark for the first 20M and then revs out beautifully all the way to the rev limiter and fuel economy was improved as well.

pylon500 09-03-2005 03:17 AM

RE: photograph
Do you drive your SVX on the beach? :confused:
Those rear CV housings look a bit rusty? :eek:
Arthur.

svxsvx 09-03-2005 06:22 AM

would be fun on the beach

1 Attachment(s)
The car was the demo model for Sydney Subaru (Penrith) for a fair while. I dont know if they got up to fun and games with it (on the beach) but it was like that when I bought it seven years ago. Maybe the first owner lived near the beach. She's getting on now with well over 200km on the clock but she's still presentable.