The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PCI timing belt after 50 miles. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61644)

davew833 04-30-2013 12:30 AM

PCI timing belt after 50 miles.

1 Attachment(s)
I don't wanna point any fingers, but attached is a pic of the Preferred Components Inc. SVX timing belt I got from ebay for $35 plus shipping after about 50 miles of use. When the car quit on the freeway and wouldn't start, I suspected timing, but wasn't expecting to find THIS when I popped the timing cover off. After I found this, I suspected something major had seized to cause such a mess, but I found nothing save one wobbly smooth idler pulley to the left of the crank that I'd failed to tighten the bolt on sufficiently. Either that was the problem, or you get what you pay for when you buy a cheap timing belt! Either way, I wouldn't recommend PCI timing belts, friends. Thank heaven for non-interference engines!

Blacky 04-30-2013 05:31 AM

Re: PCI timing belt after 50 miles.

EEK!:eek:
With the labor involved a timing belt is not something you want to save a few bucks on.
Did you change the tensioner while you were in there?

jetboy 04-30-2013 06:54 AM

I'm on the brink of purchasing a kit...

I believe a lot of people ran the PCI kit with no problems at all?

SVX92-97 04-30-2013 07:58 AM

I have used several PCI belts and idlers, and never had an issue. That looks like a rare occurrence. Yes, thank goodness for non interference engines. Good luck.

Mr. Pockets 04-30-2013 08:09 AM

Whoah.

I put a PCI timing kit on my car a year ago. I drive the SVX very few miles, but it's been great. I bought a full kit with new idlers, and I replaced the tensioner (not included in the kit) as well. The engine is silent and smooth with that kit on it. New lease on life, you might say.

Alex-svx 04-30-2013 08:20 AM

I go for subaru genuine parts on parts that is so important for the engine.:)

Hocrest 04-30-2013 08:54 AM

I just want to point out that the wobbly pulley could have been the cause of this and not the belt.

icingdeath88 04-30-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 723535)
I just want to point out that the wobbly pulley could have been the cause of this and not the belt.

That's what I was thinking.

davew833 04-30-2013 02:59 PM

I'm going to revise my hypothesis a little... A few months before I changed the timing belt the crank pulley came loose over time and destroyed the keyway on the pulley and the crankshaft. I'm wondering if there was collateral damage to the idler pulley directly to the left of the crankshaft caused by the same forces that ruined the crank pulley, etc. The bolt hole threads for that pulley are now well stripped out so I've had to order a Helicoil kit to repair them. I'm sure I tightened that pulley sufficiently when I replaced the timing belt while repairing the damage caused by the crank bolt being loose.

The moral of the story is: everyone check your crank bolt torque regularly!

Sean486 04-30-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew833 (Post 723552)
I'm going to revise my hypothesis a little... A few months before I changed the timing belt the crank pulley came loose over time and destroyed the keyway on the pulley and the crankshaft. I'm wondering if there was collateral damage to the idler pulley directly to the left of the crankshaft caused by the same forces that ruined the crank pulley, etc. The bolt hole threads for that pulley are now well stripped out so I've had to order a Helicoil kit to repair them. I'm sure I tightened that pulley sufficiently when I replaced the timing belt while repairing the damage caused by the crank bolt being loose.

The moral of the story is: everyone check your crank bolt torque regularly!

..and buy genuine Subaru timing belts.