The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Speed sensitive steering feels backwards (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61724)

Tim 05-18-2013 05:06 AM

Speed sensitive steering feels backwards

at low speeds, my steering feels very heavy. when in moving at cruising speed it feels super light. I just installed a new rack a year ago rebuilt by an ebay vendor. could it be a problem with my install or did they reverse the assist levels?

Blacky 05-18-2013 05:22 AM

Re: Speed sensitive steering feels backwards

I have the same issue with my '92. I was thinking it feels firm like I'm driving fast even at parking lot speed.

dannmarr 05-18-2013 11:51 AM

Did you check your power steering fluid? Do you hear the pump running?

Lookin4SVX 05-18-2013 12:38 PM

I just replaced my power steering pump in my 92LSL with a used one and it feels the same way your describing..
Feels like there is no power steering while at idle, but at highway speed it is very easy to steer.
Completely opposite of how I would expect it to feel..

My old pump was shot and on that it was a crapshoot of when it would just suddenly go tight.
Like turn the wheel to move over 1 lane, and it is loose, then turn again the same way to over another lane and this time it would be heavy..
Which I found very dangerous, never knowing how much steering I had to give it..

At least now it is consistent..
Steering loosens up if it is moving at all, but if it is parked and I turn the wheel to move the tires to get out of a parking spot, it feels very hard to turn.
My rack was replaced by the previous owner in 2009. Power steering pump has been shot since I got it, so I have no idea what it should feel like..

Tim 05-21-2013 09:50 AM

I hear the pump running. I do have some assist when not moving. It just feels like an excessive amount of assist while moving. I'll have to do some additional testing this weekend. Maybe they gave me an RPM sensitive rack instead of speed.

oab_au 05-21-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 724447)
I hear the pump running. I do have some assist when not moving. It just feels like an excessive amount of assist while moving. I'll have to do some additional testing this weekend. Maybe they gave me an RPM sensitive rack instead of speed.

Tim that is what I would look at first. The pumps and the racks are different for the two types. You could have a mix of the two. Same for Blacky and Looking4SVX.

Harvey.

Tim 05-21-2013 06:11 PM

Thanks Harvey. Are there any identifiers? I recall when I put mine in there still was a solenoid to be plugged in just like the one I took out. I'm going to shift into neutral at cruising speeds to see if my level of assist changes.

Blacky 05-21-2013 06:43 PM

Mine is definitely speed sensitive, I never changed it. I swapped the pump for a known working one of the same type. I'm thinking it may be a solenoid issue but there is no steering light illuminated.

oab_au 05-21-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 724467)
Thanks Harvey. Are there any identifiers? I recall when I put mine in there still was a solenoid to be plugged in just like the one I took out. I'm going to shift into neutral at cruising speeds to see if my level of assist changes.

Yes they all have that solenoid on the pump. It just tells the ECU when you are putting load on the pump to pick up the idle speed.

The Speed sensitivity pump puts out full pressure all the time.
The RPM type, has high pressure at low RPMs, decreases the pumps pressure, as the rpm goes up.

Harvey.

Tim 05-22-2013 06:42 PM

Sorry, I meant the rack had a solenoid on it.