The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gauging Interest in a 5mt kit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31265)

TomsSVX 02-01-2006 12:12 PM

Gauging Interest in a 5mt kit

This poll is to see what kind of interest there would be for a "do it yourself" 5mt kit. I know may are capable of doing the work but not the fab. I hjave had a few requests for the Fabbed parts and want to judge how many would really be interested before I go making up a jig for the parts.

Tom

thundering02 02-01-2006 12:50 PM

I REALLY want just don't have the cash at this time.

Dza 02-01-2006 01:02 PM

I am mechanically challenged, but if I handed over all the right parts (no fabbing) to my father in law, or my buddy who's a service manager, there is no problem getting it installed. They just don't have the means/time to fab up.

Voted Depending on Cost.

intellibomb 02-01-2006 01:25 PM

i think that a kit including all the fabbed parts would be ideal. most people can go to wrecking yards and get the transmissions etc, but i think the fabbed parts are the major time consuming hurdle.... with that part done the swap would be much easier.

in fact, that is where i got stuck in my project (although i am now trying to sell my tranny....)

so yes, i think it is a grand idea.:D :cool:

JJ

NapaBavarian 02-01-2006 01:44 PM

6mt 3456789

TomsSVX 02-01-2006 02:00 PM

Well this is just an idea I have been throwing around since quite a few members from out west and some in Australia have contacted me about the parts. The thing is I would need the customer to send me the X-member, cross brace bar(runs under the front diff). the pedal assembly of choice(cable or hydro). Shift linkage that they plan on using. I would also need their brake boosters as a core item as well. I may be able to get my hands on a few X-members and cross braces and I already have a brake booster that I can start with. Anyway, the 6mt X-member is the same as the 5mt and so are the pedals, the only difference is the shift linkage(which you will be supplying anyway). The X-member will be able to clear the stock exhaust system with all heat sheild still intact. If you have an aftermarket exhaust, I cannot promise anything. Like I said, more info once the weekend is over.

Tom

Electrophil 02-01-2006 04:04 PM

A reasonably priced 4.44 kit would be nice.:)

(For us "in between" types.)

TomsSVX 02-01-2006 04:17 PM

how much more bolt on do you want a 4.44 to be?? all the tough work is in the rear differential, and I offer to swap the rear diff for people as well. Doesn't get any easier than that except a quick release transmission...

Tom

benebob 02-01-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
how much more bolt on do you want a 4.44 to be?? all the tough work is in the rear differential, and I offer to swap the rear diff for people as well. Doesn't get any easier than that except a quick release transmission...

Tom

He wants the tranny, dif and installation for $200 as do I Tom. Think you can do that?:D

Electrophil 02-01-2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Tom

There ya go. Quick release tranny by Snap-on.:D Get one of those big red trucks driving around servicing it weekly.

You are a guru on these things. I don't know.:confused:

I don't know of any "kits". Just the method of out scrounging for the parts.

It's Just Eric 02-01-2006 05:59 PM

.......and you basicly laughed at me and John's idea to make a crossmember jig....

TomsSVX 02-01-2006 07:28 PM

I did not laugh at the idea of you making a jig. I wanted to make sure you understand the ramifications of if they broke, or caused issues. You would be held responsible, do you want to deal with that? If you want to do it, go ahead, no skin off my back as it is less work for me. I even reffered someone to John for a X-member. So don't rag on me if people keep asking me to make them for them

Tom

huck369 02-02-2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

I did not laugh at the idea of you making a jig. I wanted to make sure you understand the ramifications of if they broke, or caused issues. You would be held responsible, do you want to deal with that? If you want to do it, go ahead, no skin off my back as it is less work for me. I even reffered someone to John for a X-member. So don't rag on me if people keep asking me to make them for them

Tom

Just send out a disclaimer with each one you build, releasing you of accountability on them, maybe something that has to be signed and sent back to you before they ship out....just a thought

I think it's a great ideal, and would like to see you building the parts, as you really seem to have a good grasp of what the SVX needs to make a good swap.

TomsSVX 02-02-2006 07:07 AM

thanks Huck, I will see if I have the stock to make a jig this weekend. I also gotta chack and make sure I have enough 6011 if not I need to get more.

Tom

n00b on demand 02-02-2006 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
.......and you basicly laughed at me and John's idea to make a crossmember jig....

All you need is a lathe and a mill.