The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   help trans wont engage in to gear (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45201)

stiguy 06-18-2008 11:48 PM

help trans wont engage in to gear

i just bought a 92 svx had to tow it home cus the a arm was bent, fixed that. backed it off the trailer then pulled it foward about 50 feet. when i went to start it today it wont move took off the trans cooler lines and started it again and no fluid came out checked the trans oil level and it was good. what do i need to fix or replace

Hondasucks 06-19-2008 12:16 AM

Re: help trans wont engage in to gear

Sounds like you might have a clogged filter screen, or a toasted hydraulic pump

stiguy 06-19-2008 06:28 PM

thanks. but how can i check the filter? and would it be hard to replace the pump?

oab_au 06-19-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiguy (Post 552905)
thanks. but how can i check the filter? and would it be hard to replace the pump?

As it did drive off the trailer, and move forward, I would go for the screen filter that is in the transmission pan. EThis thread will tell you how to.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=screen+filter

Harvey.

stiguy 06-19-2008 07:04 PM

thanks ill try that hope thats works

stiguy 06-19-2008 08:05 PM

hey another question. is it a filter or a metal screen

Hocrest 06-19-2008 08:12 PM

metal screen

Can you push the car if it's in neutral?

When you put it in gear and give it gas, does the engine spin freely or does it bog down?

stiguy 06-19-2008 08:20 PM

yes i can push it
and and it does not bog down when put into gear

mr.potatohead 06-19-2008 10:48 PM

I have the same problem but I think from the sounds of things my pump is blown for sure as mine is pissing fluid every time I start it and it dosent pick up any gear but its hard to tell until i start to take it apart and see. I don't get any response in any gear. ouch not a good sign but i am afraid to top up the fluid and see what happens in case there is broken stuff inside. we'll see over the next month or 2 as I inch this thing apart. Good luck hope you get off easier than I will from the look of things.

stiguy 06-19-2008 11:33 PM

well nothing that bad sounding happing here. hope its smiple i have 2 svx's and have never got to drive one yet. one with front end damage and now this:(

huck369 06-20-2008 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.potatohead (Post 552959)
I have the same problem but I think from the sounds of things my pump is blown for sure as mine is pissing fluid every time I start it and it dosent pick up any gear but its hard to tell until i start to take it apart and see. I don't get any response in any gear. ouch not a good sign but i am afraid to top up the fluid and see what happens in case there is broken stuff inside. we'll see over the next month or 2 as I inch this thing apart. Good luck hope you get off easier than I will from the look of things.

If it is "Pissing fluid" when you start it, it sounds like your pump iis working fine....sound more like one of the rubber lines is split or loose....which would be an easy fix, just find the leak and replace the rubber line (probably one of the 2 short rubber lines next to the starter...)

ridered777 06-20-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiguy (Post 552963)
well nothing that bad sounding happing here. hope its smiple i have 2 svx's and have never got to drive one yet. one with front end damage and now this:(

Pull the tranny outta your STi and put it in the SVX :banana::banana::banana:

stiguy 06-20-2008 09:02 PM

well when the trans cooler lines are off and i start it no fluid comes out. and there is no trans leaks.
and also when i start the car the power light stays on for about 30 sec or so thens goes off is that normal?

ridered777 06-20-2008 09:17 PM

That power light sounds like an issue.

You try pulling codes yet?

stiguy 06-20-2008 09:22 PM

no i can't find any one with a obd1 tester
thats the type of tester right??