The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Front Strut Replacements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9650)

danrowski 03-29-2003 09:36 PM

Front Strut Replacements

Hey all,

Been awhile since I have posted here so most probably won't know me. Ah well! Anywho, just replaced the two front struts and it was VERY easy. I thought I had it coming but I was wrong. Took about an hour a side. (Worked slow and steady) Stock replacements were only about $100 a piece which was pretty surprising. All in all, saved myself about $400 in labor that was estimated. The "book" estimated 4.5 hours from what i was told. Next thing to do is change the stupid leaking valve cover gaskets, now that looks to be challenging. Laters peeps.

Peace and chicken grease,

Danny!

elninoalex 03-29-2003 10:37 PM

4.5 hours? That one evil book. Just like the spark plugs. Nice work. BTW I have a 92 Corvette Yellow NOS equipped SVX. :)

David J LeBeau 05-08-2003 09:58 AM

HI,
Hope you can help! I think I need struts. [Bottomed out on dirt road rut.] Where do I get them [other than Subaru dealer] & what should they cost [ball park $ is fine]?

Aredubjay 05-08-2003 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by David J LeBeau
HI,
Hope you can help! I think I need struts. [Bottomed out on dirt road rut.] Where do I get them [other than Subaru dealer] & what should they cost [ball park $ is fine]?

This'll be about your best price and will work for "ballpark" figuring:

Click here for front struts

Click here for rear struts

You can also try 1stsubaruparts.com or Liberty Subaru (do a search for the 800 number).

sfsvx 05-08-2003 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

This'll be about your best price and will work for "ballpark" figuring:

Click here for front struts

Click here for rear struts

You can also try 1stsubaruparts.com or Liberty Subaru (do a search for the 800 number).

I prefer 1stsubaruparts.com to subaruparts.com - prices are lower, they charge actual shipping cost (subaruparts charges a flat 10%), and I've gotten my parts pretty quickly. They've even called me after I've ordered online to check to make sure I'd ordered the right stuff.

Aredubjay 05-08-2003 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sfsvx

I prefer 1stsubaruparts.com to subaruparts.com - prices are lower, they charge actual shipping cost (subaruparts charges a flat 10%), and I've gotten my parts pretty quickly. They've even called me after I've ordered online to check to make sure I'd ordered the right stuff.

In that case, click here, then click on the appropriate link.

sfsvx 05-08-2003 02:59 PM

Quote:

In that case, click here, then click on the appropriate link.
Thanks for the assist, Randy, I was just too darned lazy to paste that link in there myself. ;)

Aredubjay 05-08-2003 03:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the assist, Randy, I was just too darned lazy to paste that link in there myself. ;)

Well, you know what they say: "It takes a village." :rolleyes: Teamwork's what it's all about, bro. :D:D

sfsvx brings it down the floor, sets up . . . around the right wing. Aredubjay cuts for the basket . . . it's a no-look from sfsvx . . . AREDUB, BACK DOOR! SCORES!!! <crowd goes wild> :D

sfsvx 05-08-2003 03:49 PM

Quote:

Well, you know what they say: "It takes a village." :rolleyes: Teamwork's what it's all about, bro. :D:D

sfsvx brings it down the floor, sets up . . . around the right wing. Aredubjay cuts for the basket . . . it's a no-look from sfsvx . . . AREDUB, BACK DOOR! SCORES!!! <crowd goes wild> :D

It makes me really nervous when guys from Kentucky say "back door" and "scores" in the same sentence. :eek:

SVXdriver_007 05-08-2003 07:39 PM

Quote:

It makes me really nervous when guys from Kentucky say "back door" and "scores" in the same sentence. :eek:

:eek: :eek: :D :D funny-funny

SVXdriver_007 05-08-2003 07:43 PM

Quote:

I'm a big fan of 1stsubaruparts anything I wasn't able to scavenge off of other people parting out I got from them. Jason is on my Christmas card list!

Disclaimer. I don't actually send or buy cards. This is an issue that constantly gets me in trouble but it's policy so I stick with it.

SubaSteevo 05-09-2003 06:58 AM

Stupid q

On the subaruparts site, which strut(complete) is the one we need, the one for $182 or the one for $99?

floatingkiwi 01-04-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
On the subaruparts site, which strut(complete) is the one we need, the one for $182 or the one for $99?

I'm resurrecting this thread because I still can't find the answer to this question - why are there two strut listings on these parts pages. Can anyone answer?

Matt

NikFu S. 01-04-2007 09:11 PM

I'm gonna say the cheaper one doesn't come with the strut mounting.

I really have no idea. That's just the first idea that popped in my head.

--
I'm changing my answer. I think the cheaper one does not come with the coil.

I'm just looking at the prices. $60 difference in price, and only two pieces near that amount. It's logical they would allow you to buy the complete set without the coil.

dannmarr 01-04-2007 09:25 PM

Danny,
How about writing up a "how to" on strut replacements?