The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABS issue (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50803)

ninefourteener 06-30-2009 09:10 AM

ABS issue

The other issue I'm having is with the brakes. It doesn't do it "all" the time... but it does it often.

When I'm coming to a stop in normal driving...... just a split second before complete stop (1mph or under).... the ABS activates and the brake pedal start pulsing. It's irritating..... but the major issue is that when you "think" you're about to stop..... the ABS surges, and I end up stopping 2-3 feet later than what I intended. By the way..... no ABS light on the dash when this happens.

Additionally..... occasionally..... the ABS light DOES come on during normal driving. Ironically, the problem listed above STOPS happening when the ABS light comes on.

When I shut the car off...... the ABS light does not come back on when I restart..... at least not immediately... may take hours before it comes back on..... and then I have to deal with the ABS activating inappropriately.

It's like the problem occurs when the car is supposedly running correct... and when the warning light comes on.... then the car runs properly????

What's my problem??????

msvx95 06-30-2009 09:28 AM

Re: ABS issue

check the code under the passenger seat from the control unit.
The how-to is in www.svx-iw.com

ninefourteener 06-30-2009 12:33 PM

Forgive me for my ignorance.... but my only experience with reading "codes" is on my Cobb Accessport with my 2006 WRX.

Correct me if I'm wrong..... but don't you have to be getting some kind of warning light before the ECU tells you that there is something wrong?

The problem..... is that the "problem" happens when there are NO warning lights. When the ABS light does come one... then the problem stops.

?????????

msvx95 07-01-2009 09:36 AM

To me it sounds like the sensors are dirty or corroded...my chevy did that and they were corroded inside the wheel hub. My truck would kick in the abs and pedal would pulsate just before coming to a complete stop..no warning light..it was frustrating.

If I were you, I'd still look at the code the control unit is blinking, that's after you drive and follow the instructions for reading the ABS code OR take the wheel off and see if maybe the sensors are loose or dirty.

1986nate 07-01-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninefourteener (Post 607433)
Forgive me for my ignorance.... but my only experience with reading "codes" is on my Cobb Accessport with my 2006 WRX.

Correct me if I'm wrong..... but don't you have to be getting some kind of warning light before the ECU tells you that there is something wrong?

The problem..... is that the "problem" happens when there are NO warning lights. When the ABS light does come one... then the problem stops.

?????????

The ABS has its own computer and error codes. It will show any stored codes even if the light has been off for some time.

Mike621 07-01-2009 12:06 PM

Get the ABS light to come on.

Stop the car, but don't shut it off.

Slide the RF seat forward and tilted.

Look for the tiny carpet flap on the inside edge of the right side seat rail.

Lift the flap to reveal the LED on the ABS unit.

Count the blinks.

TomsSVX 07-01-2009 08:45 PM

The code is likely for a left front wheel speed sensor. It was an intermittent issue when we still had the car. I check the tone ring and found it broken. I replaced the tone ring and hadn't dealt with it again. If you can pull the code, we will get another sensor out to you ASAP

Tom

ninefourteener 07-06-2009 12:32 AM

Thanks!!!

Been on vacation since I posted this... but I'll be home tomorrow and I'll check the code.

ninefourteener 07-11-2009 01:04 PM

Well, we haven't driven it much.... but we did take a trip in it today, and after about an hour, we got the ABS light again.

(and strangely enough.... then the brakes work great)

I looked under the pass seat.... getting 5 blinks.

What does that mean?

SoCal LS-L 07-11-2009 02:24 PM

Left front wheel speed sensor, and your brakes work when the light is on because the ABS computer deactivates the ABS function when it senses the problem.

TomsSVX 07-11-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 609136)
Left front wheel speed sensor, and your brakes work when the light is on because the ABS computer deactivates the ABS function when it senses the problem.

This is correct. I will order you a new sensor, just PM me the address it needs to be sent to

TOm

SoCal LS-L 07-11-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 609139)
This is correct.

SCORE!! :D:lol:

ninefourteener 07-12-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 609139)
This is correct. I will order you a new sensor, just PM me the address it needs to be sent to

TOm

Thanks Tom.... PM on the way :)

Anyone have a link for a tutorial on how to do one of those?

SoCal LS-L 07-12-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninefourteener (Post 609205)
Thanks Tom.... PM on the way :)

Anyone have a link for a tutorial on how to do one of those?

Its pretty straightforward, if you havent downloaded it yet, get the service manual, the link is in my signature. You will find lots of handy info, flow charts, and step by step guides there. Its says 1992 but it applies to all years for the most part.