The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ok now i'm lost (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50705)

Gamesy 06-21-2009 08:00 PM

ok now i'm lost

i put my car back together but the starter doesnt seem to want to budge, i can take the positive and touch the other end and it'll spin but it wont when i try the ignition.

Any suggestions?

SoCal LS-L 06-21-2009 08:41 PM

Re: ok now i'm lost

Catch us up with what you did..... what did you take apart ??

Gamesy 06-21-2009 10:07 PM

i took the tranny out to get the pump fixed then put it back together except for the intake then tried to start the car, all the lights and everything work but when i turn the ignition, nothing is happening with the starter.

I'm sure i connected it properly. positive on the solenoid and the negative is tied in with the tranny mount bolt.

Gamesy 06-22-2009 12:50 AM

could it be the park/neutral safety? i tried starting it in both and nothing. maybe its not recognising it? if thats the case how do i find out? and how to fix it? or could it be something else?

Gamesy 06-22-2009 09:32 AM

noone knows?

zavikan 06-22-2009 09:37 AM

sounds to me like its the 12v coming from the ignition isnt going to the starter ;)
I would guess the neutral safety as well... seeing as the tranny was down...

Do you have a multimeter? sounds like Time to test wires.

Test for 12v from ignition at starter
test continuity on that starter wire
Then its time to get into the ignition switch w/ an svx electrical book and do your various checks there.

James

Gamesy 06-22-2009 10:14 AM

i have a feeling i might've missed a connection here.
there's the positive and the negative that hook to the starter, there's another cable that hooks to it too? i've been looking everywhere and couldnt find any loose cables.
if there is another cable does someone have a pic of what to look for?

Gamesy 06-22-2009 11:02 AM

is there a wiring diagram floating around on the site for the starter?

SoCal LS-L 06-22-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 606189)
is there a wiring diagram floating around on the site for the starter?

:rolleyes: Yeah, again the link for the online service manual is in my signature..... download it and you will have it forever.

Does your car have an alarm system?

svxistentialist 06-22-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 606158)
could it be the park/neutral safety? i tried starting it in both and nothing. maybe its not recognising it? if thats the case how do i find out? and how to fix it? or could it be something else?

My guess is you have not rewired the interlock circuit, or not done it properly. It is possible you do not have power going to the solenoid. You should hear it click in the N and P position. There is also the possibility that you actually have wired it back correctly, and the adjustment is out of whack. There is a cable connected to the selector, if memory serves this has to be in correct alignment so that the starter only gets power in the two "safe" positions.

Maybe see if it will start slightly up or down from these positions? Keep your handbrake on while trying it.

Here are some diagrams:

USA transmission

Joe :)

Gamesy 06-22-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 606192)
:rolleyes: Yeah, again the link for the online service manual is in my signature..... download it and you will have it forever.

Does your car have an alarm system?

i think it does but its not hooked up, regardless it didnt come with a keyfob

Gamesy 06-22-2009 03:02 PM

ok im not sure if i have the right cable hooked on the lead for the ignition coil but its the only free cable, is the cable that goes on that lead come from the same hole as the wiring harness for the transmission? or is it somewhere else? I think thats my problem, if its not that and i do have the right cable i have no clue what to do.

Gamesy 06-22-2009 06:13 PM

is there a fuse for the ignition? if so i havnt been able to find it on any of the 2 fuse boxes

NiftySVX 06-22-2009 07:23 PM

Did you forget the single pin connector that goes to the solenoid? I did that once. I couldn't tell if that is one of the ones you mentioned connecting previously in the thread.

Mike621 06-22-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 606243)
Did you forget the single pin connector that goes to the solenoid? I did that once. I couldn't tell if that is one of the ones you mentioned connecting previously in the thread.

I have a funny story about forgetting that wire... :lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes: something about Eric and I with one of my pearlies in the middle of the night trying to change the freakin starter....