The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   charcoal filter (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38411)

jman050 04-12-2007 09:51 PM

charcoal filter

would removing that black cylinder (charcoal filter i think it is) affect how the car runs at all??

ensteele 04-12-2007 11:26 PM

I don't know if it would affect how the car runs, but I think I would keep it. Do you need to remove it for some reason? :confused: :)

jman050 04-13-2007 07:56 AM

well i removed it a while ago when i swapped engines because it was cracked and i just linked the hose from one side to the other. My engine has never been 100% quirk free and im going to be trying to resolve these issues after im home in a couple weeks and im trying to get a head start on what might and might not work.

ensteele 04-13-2007 08:38 AM

I would replace it. It does provide a function and should be there. :) They should be easy to find. Good luck. :)

Trevor 04-13-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman050
would removing that black cylinder (charcoal filter i think it is) affect how the car runs at all??

The charcoal filter simply absorbs fuel vapor from the fuel tank, which would otherwise be discharged into the atmosphere. There is no way it could affect the running of the engine even if the system was completely blocked, as the tank filler cap incorporates an alternative air inlet.

cdvs 04-13-2007 05:35 PM

Charcoal canister

It is original emissions equipment, which is required in most locations in the USA. In Massachusetts, it won't pass inspection, if they notice it's gone.

NiftySVX 04-17-2007 12:24 AM

It may not cause a noticable change in driveability, but it is part of the emission control system and needs to be in place. There is no telling what it might do without it. Definatly just get a new one, if for no other reason than to just eliminate it from any diagnostic process.

Trevor 04-17-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX
It may not cause a noticable change in driveability, but it is part of the emission control system and needs to be in place. There is no telling what it might do without it. Definatly just get a new one, if for no other reason than to just eliminate it from any diagnostic process.

What it does and does not do, is definite and specific. Provided the fuel cap is not faulty there can be no affect on the operation of the engine.

Tiamat-red 04-17-2007 07:48 AM

As far as I know it's just there to "hold onto" any "left over" gasoline vapors that would otherwise be vented into the air.
Also, as far as I know, your engine doesn't know, or care, if it's attached or not.
Meaning as far as any engine problems go, there or not, it's not the cause.

Just take a page from my former young and clueless Honda days, just leave it in there and paint it fire engine red.
That way it will not only pass emissions, but will add like 5-6 HP as well.;)