The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   BOSE suspension! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23425)

deruvian 12-26-2004 01:58 AM

BOSE suspension!

This stuff is just plain-old awesome. Saw it in a Motor Trend magazine, and had to look at it on their website...

BOSE is performing R&D on automobile suspension because, apparently, Dr. Bose has always had a hankering for it. Anyway, just read the damn article and watch the videos!

The car stays perfectly level over speed bumps, but stiffens up and stays perfectly level during tough cornering... And the car is a 94 Lexus LS400! :confused: :D

Just check it out!!

Article
Video 1
Video 2

Landshark 12-26-2004 04:46 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...highlight=bose

i'm guessing its overpriced and doesn't produce accurate bass or treble. :D

Beav 12-26-2004 08:49 AM

Can you say 'cheap'? Or should I ask: Can you say 'cheap' and 'Bose' in the same sentence?

Funny, they make no mention of the voltage required or the size of the battery and alternator. However, it should be simpler/less expensive/more accurate than the Lotus electronic/hydraulic system of years ago. What bothers me most about the price is Bose's history of end-user expense. Look at their little table-top radio, it's basically a clock/radio with a big plastic case that allows a little porting. No real manufacturing expense involved, but they do include a lot of perception for the money. I'll bet the marketing costs way more than the product. Like buying a coke at McD's - the cup costs more than the contents.

deruvian 12-26-2004 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
Can you say 'cheap'? Or should I ask: Can you say 'cheap' and 'Bose' in the same sentence?

Funny, they make no mention of the voltage required or the size of the battery and alternator. However, it should be simpler/less expensive/more accurate than the Lotus electronic/hydraulic system of years ago. What bothers me most about the price is Bose's history of end-user expense. Look at their little table-top radio, it's basically a clock/radio with a big plastic case that allows a little porting. No real manufacturing expense involved, but they do include a lot of perception for the money. I'll bet the marketing costs way more than the product. Like buying a coke at McD's - the cup costs more than the contents.

Absolutely untrue. Sorry, but having done audio engineering for a while, and being great friends with a professional live-audio engineer, has shown me that most of the stuff that Bose makes is great. While the production costs are low for what you are purchasing, your money is going towards years and years of R&D. Mr. Bose tends to attempt not to release anything short of "perfection," and that's why they have such a small quantity of things to offer... Pretty much everything has to be of great enough quality for him to approve.

Anyway, the Bose wave radio pumps sound from small, high-quality speakers through this funky maze of passages and waves. This is finely tuned, and makes the little speakers sound much larger and fuller than they would be stand-alone. While I do wish that the price were lesser, I can fully understand why it is so expensive.

Saying that the production costs of the Bose wave radio are so low that they should just sell it for cheap, like all other little radios out there, is synonomous to saying that Subaru should just forget about all of the R&D monies that were spent developing their special $80k rally 6MT, and sell it for an amount that merely pays back the costs for production. That was a long run-on sentence by the way... lol, sorry :D :rolleyes:

alex_umn 12-26-2004 11:27 AM

The problem with Bose is that they seem to spend all of their money designing elaborate systems to disguise cheap components. This to me is wasteful and inelegant. I will admit that the Wave radio sounds good for its size, but not for the price one must pay to subsidize all of that research.

Don't even get me started on how crappy their standalone speakers sound in normal living-room environments. Muddy bordering on tar-like.

Um, on that note, Happy Holidays! :p

RojoRocket 12-26-2004 11:32 AM

Dr Bose

Looks pretty good to me!!

Glenn :o

Beav 12-26-2004 01:43 PM

I can certainly appreciate that they put more engineering into their products than most companies, but where does one draw the line? The product does dereserve to command more than the typical $12 Walgreens clock radio, but nowhere near what they are asking. To be totally honest I have five Bose speakers for my theatre setup - 201's and a center. For the price they were the best deal at the time. But I have to temper that with my observation/opinion/experience that Bose tends to ask for more than the value of their products. I guess I have 'old fart' syndrome' - I can remember how long 301's have been on the shelves, probably 30 years or more. I think they have more than recouped their engineering costs.

Landshark 12-26-2004 02:59 PM

Bose - no highs, no lows.
anybody who knows anything about audio laughs at Bose. like this -> :D :D :D

Tim 12-26-2004 05:01 PM

Sorry but years of audio engineering can't defy normal speaker behavior. With all of their satellite subwoofer combos, you're just buying the name and the small imprint on your living room.

There is no way those tiny speaker drivers can reproduce the midrange and lows that a larger sized speaker can produce.

The bass unit is actually a midbass/LFE wubwoofer. It's very easy to distinguish where the direction of the midbass is coming from and lowers the soundstage because you can locate it. Sorry, but for $2000 you can do much better with something like KEF or Paradigms.

RojoRocket 12-26-2004 05:49 PM

I thought this thread was about a suspension development, not "wubwoofers" and freqs only a dog can hear??? ;)

Glenn :confused:

Landshark 12-26-2004 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RojoRocket
I thought this thread was about a suspension development, not "wubwoofers" and freqs only a dog can hear??? ;)

Glenn :confused:

oh n0s!11!!!1!!11

a thread has b33n teh hijackzored on yuor teh SVX Network!!!11!!1!1!!!

Beav 12-26-2004 07:56 PM

Your dog type that Alan?

Landshark 12-27-2004 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
Your dog type that Alan?
i had my wubwoofer turned up too high and it rattled my keyboard. :D