The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Five warning lights ON? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21571)

henryb 09-25-2004 04:38 PM

Five warning lights ON?

There are 5 warning lights on the dash warning light bar that normally come on when you start the car, but they do not go out?

There are other warning lights on that bar that come on, but they go out as they are supposed to?

The ones that stay on are: Steering, Battery, Stop Lamp, Brake, and ABS. I have checked each of those systems and they appear to be working correctly.

I am thinking that there is some relay that is used to turn those lights on at start up and after a certain amount of time, it normally shuts them off... but if that relay has failed, they would stay on?

Any ideas?
Thanks,

UberRoo 09-25-2004 04:48 PM

The alternator belt has failed.

Bobb 09-25-2004 04:56 PM

Alternator

Hi Brent, It could be the alternator itself has failed. If you still have power steering its the alternator, not the belt. Take care, BOBB

henryb 09-25-2004 07:05 PM

5 warning lights = alternator

Thanks for the info. I checked the alternator belt, which I just changed about 2 months ago... and it is still good and tight. So it must be the alternator itself. Is there an easy way to test it?

Thanks again,

Bobb 09-25-2004 07:48 PM

Alternator

Hi Brent, The Subaru dealer in your town or any of the big chain auto parts guys will check it out for you. The national chain guys will do the check for free. After all they hope you will buy a replacement from them. The national chain guys are open on Sunday but they will probably have to order the replacement for you. Take care, BOBB

P/S The SVX alternators often check out OK. However all those dash lights have told the story. Get a new or rebuilt alternator and you lights will stay dark. "B"

n00b on demand 09-25-2004 10:38 PM

I think autozone would be able to check it out for you too. But yeah definitley sounds like your alternator is on its way out.

immortal_suby 09-26-2004 06:30 AM

FWIW - autozone tested one of mine that was doing the same thing and said it was fine. I swapped alternators between cars and determined it was definitely bad.

henryb 09-26-2004 10:42 AM

Anybody have an extra Altenator?

I have been searching around for a replacement Altenator, but they seem to be very hard to come by in Canada? The best price I could find was at SubaruParts.com... they have them on-sale for $190US + $38 shipping + duties. I can just image what the dealer wants for one... will inquire on Monday.

I was wondering if anyone had an extra Altenator that they would be willing to sell me? Let me know.

Thanks,

Notall There 09-26-2004 05:31 PM

Just a quick check that you can do brent, with a test meter, check the battery voltage with the engine running! it should be around 14volts DC, if the alternator isn't charging it'll read about 12 volts DC (the battery only voltage!)

Phil (auto-electrician),
92 SVX (94k) Claret.

UberRoo 09-27-2004 10:34 AM

Some of those lights, such as the power steering and ABS lights indicate that it is not just the alternator, but rather that it is not the alternator at all. If I kick my fuse box hard enough, I'll get some of those lights - different ones depending on how hard I kick it.

Don't automatically replace the alternator just because the charging voltage is low. Have it tested on a test bench first.

Mr. Pockets 09-27-2004 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
FWIW - autozone tested one of mine that was doing the same thing and said it was fine. I swapped alternators between cars and determined it was definitely bad.
I don't trust the tests run on alternators by parts stores. They don't find intermittent problems, so if it happens to work okay for the five seconds they run it on their bench, then it's declared 'all good.'

I don't understand the logic there. It would seem that they'd sell more alternators if the machine just delcared every alternator put on it as 'bad.' :)

Anyway, yeah, I agree - you need a new alternator.

Gargoyle 09-27-2004 12:02 PM

Red neck Altenator test.
1 -Start car
2 -take positive cable off the Battery
Car stays runnen -Alt -good
Car dies -Alt -bad :eek:

immortal_suby 09-27-2004 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle
Red neck Altenator test.
1 -Start car
2 -take positive cable off the Battery
Car stays runnen -Alt -good
Car dies -Alt -bad :eek:

Owner loses fingers from arc and ECU melts from amperage spike- Alt -good :D

Earthworm 09-28-2004 03:09 PM

What about checking for loose connections first?

- battery terminals
- alternator plug
- alternator nut

You could look into getting it rebuilt.

When I try getting parts from local dealerships I will print out the quote from subaruparts.com, convert their numbers to $CDN and try to get them to match the price.

I've had problems with my alternator twice. Both times I had the voltage regulator replaced and both times that fixed the problem.

henryb 09-28-2004 07:23 PM

Alternator Rebuilt and working again!

Thank you all for your valuable feedback and advice. I did find a place in Oshawa that rebuilds starters and alternators. I had to remove the unit and bring it to them. Then pick it up that same day and reinstall it myself (fairly easy re&re).

They only charged me $180(CDN). They did a complete rebuild, with new bearings, stator, bushings, contacts, posts and a few other items I can't recall!!!

Anyways, it is back up and running well again.
Thanks again.