The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   that's alright, i didn't want to drive backwards anyway (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26733)

magickfingers 06-11-2005 08:59 PM

that's alright, i didn't want to drive backwards anyway

HELP! I lost reverse today. It worked fine, then i pulled up for a three-point turn and had no reverse. It feels just like it's in Neutral. Any ideas? Specifically, is this the first note in the death knell of my tranny? Is this **** contagious? ie, am i likely to start losing my forward gears now? Any help appreciated. Thanks. Marc
on a more positive note, i finally got my Ecutune 1.4 in, and it feels like a different car. This is how this car wanted to be driving all along.

CigarJohnny 06-12-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magickfingers
HELP! I lost reverse today. It worked fine, then i pulled up for a three-point turn and had no reverse.

Crack the door open, stick your left foot out. Make like a clam and push like hell! :D

Johnny

CigarJohnny 06-12-2005 07:17 AM

In all seriousness, now that you have the ECUTune installed, finish the job and install a 5MT. Then you will know what the SVX is capable of feeling like. ;)

Johnny

magickfingers 06-12-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarJohnny
In all seriousness, now that you have the ECUTune installed, finish the job and install a 5MT. Then you will know what the SVX is capable of feeling like. ;)

Johnny

Yeah, i'm only about three grand short of being able to do just that...

red95svx 06-13-2005 09:30 AM

Ah yes, the loss of reverse gear. One of the signs of impending DOOM. It's only a matter of time before other gears start to call it quits. Don't plan any long trips.

Dave

Earthworm 06-13-2005 02:28 PM

Impending doom? If the reverse never came back I would say it's already failed. :confused:

red95svx 06-13-2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Impending doom? If the reverse never came back I would say it's already failed. :confused:

It hasn't failed completely...he still has all of his forward gears. The impending doom is when the forward gears stop working.

Dave

TomsSVX 06-13-2005 08:12 PM

Just hit it with a hammer :D Seriously though, check the switch on the side of the trans and make sure it is actually telling the car it's in reverse

Tom

b3lha 06-14-2005 02:06 AM

I've lost reverse twice. Both times the transmission failed completely within a couple of days. Check the colour and smell of your transmission fluid and start saving your cash for a rebuild.

red95svx 06-14-2005 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
Just hit it with a hammer :D Seriously though, check the switch on the side of the trans and make sure it is actually telling the car it's in reverse

Tom

I thought that switch was just for the reverse lights.

Dave

red95svx 06-14-2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
I've lost reverse twice. Both times the transmission failed completely within a couple of days. Check the colour and smell of your transmission fluid and start saving your cash for a rebuild.

Yeah, it's a classic sign of transmission death:(

Dave

TomsSVX 06-14-2005 03:50 PM

I hate autos

Tom

Earthworm 06-14-2005 04:57 PM

me too...much too boring :)

magickfingers 06-14-2005 10:57 PM

thanks

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Between these answers and some threads i found searching, it seems like it's one of three things:
1) Most likely - time for a 5MT; my tranny is toast
2) Maybe, but not likely - Check the switch on the side of the tranny and be sure it's telling the car that it's in reverse. Cool, but...what switch? Where on the tranny? How do i tell if it's 'telling the car that it's in reverse'?
3) Way not likely - Check some gasket between the oil pump and the tranny

So, it seems like i'll soon be a 5MT convert. I'll go to the auction this weekend and look for a 95-99 Legacy 5spd. Right idea? Thanks again. Marc

Rotorflyr 06-15-2005 10:38 AM

On the other hand (and not trying to get your hopes up) I had a 300ZX that lost it's reverse gear, and the rest of the gears ran fine right up to the point of the car being slamed into by a PU almost a year after loosing reverse.
(however it's a safe bet, your tranny won't last quite so long)