The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Forged internals (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48698)

STeeL25T 01-20-2009 01:45 PM

Forged internals

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could sorce some forged pistons and rods for the EG33. I seem to remember ECUtune selling them some time ago but now all I see them selling is full long blocks and I sure don't have the money for all that.

STeeL25T 01-20-2009 02:22 PM

Re: Forged internals

Searched a little more, found some info but didn't want to dig through 13 pages of trials so I'll ask this lol

Can I use EJ22 turbo pistons and rods? What would the compression be?

I see the pistons are the same, didn't see if the rods are the same or not... I'm expecting bad news as its be like 4 years since that thread started and I don't hear about anyone doing it.

sicksubie 01-20-2009 02:32 PM

They are not the same....

TomsSVX 01-20-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STeeL25T (Post 583061)
Searched a little more, found some info but didn't want to dig through 13 pages of trials so I'll ask this lol

Can I use EJ22 turbo pistons and rods? What would the compression be?

I see the pistons are the same, didn't see if the rods are the same or not... I'm expecting bad news as its be like 4 years since that thread started and I don't hear about anyone doing it.

Combustion chambers are different... This means the pistons are going to be different and in our case... unusable. We can get you CP pistons in any compression ratio you want. I am also working on getting JE pistons pricing as well

Tom

STeeL25T 01-20-2009 04:53 PM

In that same old thread I saw you say 8.5:1 wasn't ideal for our motors... What do you recommend for turbo applications?

TomsSVX 01-20-2009 09:27 PM

8.5 would be ideal in the EG33 w/ boost. Just not 2.2l pistons

Tomm

kowitz 01-20-2009 11:37 PM

I thought 2.2T pistons fit for a boost application?

odepaj 01-21-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kowitz (Post 583137)
I thought 2.2T pistons fit for a boost application?

The 2.2t pistons would give us a compression ratio of 7.5:1 or lower :eek:

Way to low for any kind of usable power:(

The difference is in the combustion chambers.

Eagle rods and CP pistons are your best bet right now as they can be had for fairly cheap. ACL makes the proper sized bearings for our cars, they are tri-metal bearings and are looked down upon by some people :o but are perfectly fine to satisfy most people.

Dustin

STeeL25T 01-21-2009 06:55 AM

Whats the price for the CP pistons?

Also, where can I source a gasket rebuild kit? I got the price of a Cometic head gasket already.

I'm trying to get a price list together.

SVXRide 01-21-2009 02:35 PM

An even less expensive route, if you can source them, is using STi rods.
-Bill

STeeL25T 01-22-2009 07:07 AM

Which year? Are they the same as WRX rods?

STeeL25T 01-30-2009 09:37 AM

I have another question about building up the motor if its okay to ask here.

I've been looking into cams lately, I've been wanting to keep the stock springs and valves cause it sounds like a lot of work to convert them over to WRX parts... Well a good friend of mine recently had his built STi blow up the second time and hes considering going back to stock, and I told him I'd take two of his rods and the heads if he wanted to get rid of them.

What all is involved in going swapping over the head parts? I'm severally intimiated by this as I have no experience with head work..

sicksubie 01-30-2009 10:31 AM

beyond the fact that you will be 2 cylinders shy of the parts that you need... Im not sure....

longassname 01-31-2009 06:50 PM

The impreza valves and springs are used when converting to solid lifters instead of hydraulic lash adjusters. You have to grind your cams on a base circle that roughly matches your valves and lifters and then get the correct shims to fine tune the lash adjustment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STeeL25T (Post 585000)
I have another question about building up the motor if its okay to ask here.

I've been looking into cams lately, I've been wanting to keep the stock springs and valves cause it sounds like a lot of work to convert them over to WRX parts... Well a good friend of mine recently had his built STi blow up the second time and hes considering going back to stock, and I told him I'd take two of his rods and the heads if he wanted to get rid of them.

What all is involved in going swapping over the head parts? I'm severally intimiated by this as I have no experience with head work..