The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Speedometer quit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23332)

Earthworm 12-20-2004 01:55 PM

Speedometer quit

While testing cruise control functionality in my SVX my speedo decided to quit. My first instinct was to check the speed sensor. It's securely plugged in. I do not get a check engine light.

Anyone have any ideas as to what order I should be checking for problems? I'm going on a long trip in 2 days so this is very important.

BTW, this is with the 5MT from a 2002 WRX.

(should I be pulling out my dash?)

Chris 12-20-2004 03:32 PM

sounds like vss1 to me. Did it work after the 5 speed swap? I dont know the shade-tree way to diagnose this with anything other than a high end DMM with a frequency input (to count pulses or a small ociliscope) or the Subaru Select Monitor. Will ask Chris Debban for you tonight.

Earthworm 12-20-2004 03:47 PM

Yeah, it's been working great for a year and only quit yesterday.

The problem started when I was playing with the wire you're supposed to ground to fool the ECU into thinking you're in neutral and preventing high idle. The only problem with doing this is that you lose your cruise control ability. (on mine anyway)

The only thing that may have caused this was that I went to shift into 4th but may have been hitting R instead (slight grind). All the gears still work perfectly.

michael 12-20-2004 06:03 PM

First eliminate vss2. with someone in the drivers seat unscrew vss2 and spin it with the ignition on if speedo jumps it's the vss2 gears.

n00b on demand 12-22-2004 07:53 AM

Any update worm?

RobSVX 12-22-2004 09:17 AM

What comes out with VSS2 ?

Hi,
So, when I unscrew my VSS2... what will come out with it ?
My Speedo,Odo,Cruise crapped out (engine codes show VSS2 and O2 and EGR all at once - weird).

If I remove, I wanted to check if its the speedo gear or just the sensor ???

mbtoloczko 12-22-2004 09:40 AM

The speedo stopped working while you were driving the car?

michael 12-22-2004 12:47 PM

There is a T shaped protrusion from the bottom of the sensor, it is driven by an axle. It's kind of like how a flathead screwdriver fits into a screw. If you take it out you don't have to be afraid of stuff flying everywhere.

RobSVX 12-22-2004 01:09 PM

Great answer and pic !

Next question would be how do I get the 'shaft' out ?

michael 12-22-2004 02:34 PM

If your problem is the speedo gears you have to drop the transmission and seperate it from the diff. to change the gear. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I had mine done earlier this year and it cost me $400, a stripped stud and lug nut, scratched rim, broken antenna and a pair of clips for the H-6 engine cover. Whats worse is that it was one year after I had them put in a new diff. (a day after the warranty ended)

RobSVX 12-22-2004 03:58 PM

Quote:

If your problem is the speedo gears you have to drop the transmission and seperate it from the diff. to change the gear
Mmm, that would not be a customer friendly design. Put a plastic gear someplace, you have to pulll the Tranny for ? Make me wonder if 'they' knew the Tranny would crap out soon anyway...

Thanks for the bad news, but I'll just use my Tach for the Speeds if the VSS2 doesn't fix it. No way I'm spending that much for a damn little gear !

Which controls the Speedo, Odo, and Cruise: VSS1 or VSS2 ?
Which is which mounted on the Tranny. I can find one that's seen thru the engine compartment, next to the tranny dipstick .

michael 12-22-2004 07:53 PM

If i'm not mistaken it also messes up your ability to go beyond a 90/10 power distribution, it causes an error code no speed sensitive wipers or speed sensitive steering and you'll get hassled when you get your next inspection for mileage. Yes it is a poor design.:mad:

RobSVX 12-22-2004 09:29 PM

How 2 Check the VSS1 ?

I've seen how to check the VSS2, but how about the other at the tail shaft ?
The Trouble Code check threads didn't mention, a code for a faulty VSS1 that I could find ?

lee 12-22-2004 09:49 PM

vss1 and vss2 error codes are 32 and 33 respectively.

RobSVX 12-23-2004 07:01 AM

Actually, Code 32 is for the O2 Sensor - Passenger side.

What's the code, if any, for the VSS1 ?

Thx !