The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A few questions from a new owner. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42603)

Zandar 01-02-2008 07:28 PM

A few questions from a new owner.

Okay, let me start by saying that I recently purchased a 1992 SVX LSL black/pearl, and I absolutely love it! My wife must be getting sick of my zeal at each of its features I discover, but she hides it well.

Anyway, there are a very few rough edges that I would like to work out.

First, I have a small dent in the hood from the inside out (looks as though the hood was slammed on a tool). Any ideas how to fix this? Should I just take it into a body shop?

Second, the struts for the hood and the trunk are out of commission (well, the hood ones will work for about 2 minutes then go flat; I bet that's how the dent got there). Any idea where to find these?

Third, how do you know if there's an aftermarket (or factory) trnasmission cooler/filter? I'm slightly mechanically inclined, but not too terribly knowledgeable.

Fourth, I saw that the tranny said something about being a Subaru rebuild; any way to check with Subaru about maintenance? This car was purchased by a small-time dealer at an auction, so I don't have any records for it.

Fifth and last, does it ever get old owning an SVX? Do the butterflies go away after a while? Seriously, this car gets me up in the morning just knowing I can drive it to work.

Thanks for any and all replies!

RSVX 01-02-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandar (Post 518931)

Fifth and last, does it ever get old owning an SVX? Do the butterflies go away after a while? Seriously, this car gets me up in the morning just knowing I can drive it to work.

No.:D...............

Crazy_pilot 01-02-2008 07:43 PM

1. Bodyshop. Unless you're proficient with metal work it's probably not something you want to do yourself, more trouble than it's worth.

2. For the hood, just make a prop rod (stick of some sort). If you do a search you'll find lots of info on trunk/hood struts. (I hear concussions are easy to get from failed hood struts!:D;))

3. There are many aftermarket coolers that can be made to work. Again, a search will yield tons of info.

4. No idea from me:confused:

5. No. In the event your SVX has to be parked for a while (tranny, wheel bearings, etc..) the withdrawl can be severe, and getting back in for the first drive will make you so jumpy no one will want to be around you for long:lol::D

Wikedjuggalo 01-02-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks for any and all replies!

O no, every day i get in my car I get happy, even if my passenger radiator fan is broke and makes noise and vibrates, my front rotors are warped, and possible could use a new front axle, I love driving it. I get up every morning knowing i get to drive it to school knowing I am the only one that has one and people still awe at it. Its like having a heroin addiction, your extremely happy when you have but when you don't you get really really sad. Unless you own a spare one or 15 (you know who you are :rolleyes:) but enjoy it~

bwb3 01-02-2008 08:26 PM

Wellcome to the world of an SVX taking over your mind (#5, it doesn't go away). :D I have had some great results with the pop-a-dent system advertised on TV for simple dents. For the hood struts, a cheap solution is vice grips, clamp them on when you open the hood and no more concussions. Otherwise, consider the solutions posed on threads on this forum (the search feature sometimes yields results without too much reading). If you have an aftermarket cooler you should be able to spot it somewhere near or between the radiator and AC cooler. If not there, well worth adding and not too stressfull on the mind to install. Again,some good threads on that subject. A Subaru rebuild may have bought you some heavier duty clutches but still go for the cooler and maybe an aftermarket in-line filter.
I see those butterfies every night, some with the touring package spoiler, some with aftermarket legs (I meant wheels) :lol:
Gene

crazyhorse 01-02-2008 08:39 PM

No, the feeling doesn't go away, even when the car is broken. My SVX is "walking wounded" with a trans issue. Tonight I drove it 40 mi @ 45 through what passes for a snowstorm here in TN. The roads were slick, and I passed 2 big 4x4's in the ditch, I even stopped to let the 2nd one's owner call a wrecker.:)
Imagine the look on thier faces seeing this "sports car" traversing roads they couldn't. I had the same pleasure in my '86 Subaru XT.

nextse7en 01-02-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 518946)
clamp them on when you open the hood and no more concussions

I hear those are easy to get.

easy to get

easy to get.

Whats the story there OT, anyway?

ensteele 01-02-2008 09:40 PM

Welcome to the site. :) I will answer #5 first, like evey one else. No, it never gets old. I get excited every time I get in one of them. I can't help but smile. You will also waste hours standing on the sidewalk looking back at it on the way to your front door, or looking out of the window at it. Yes, it is true. :lol:

There is a very good How-To Document section that you can find tons of info on how to do things. We are in the process of upgrading this in the next couple of weeks.

As far as the cooler, if you look under the car, you will see where the transmission hoses go into and out of the radiator. If it goes from there to some other cooler, you will know that you have one. There may be an inline transmission filter too.

Visit often and we are here to help you as we can. Good luck on the project and read the manual so you will discover all of the fun features on this special car. :)

TomsSVX 01-02-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextse7en (Post 518954)
I hear those are easy to get.

easy to get

easy to get.

Whats the story there OT, anyway?

That was a east coast meet occurance that you had to be there to understand really.... but its funny just to say it... Now, what were we talking about?? Oh concusions... I hear they are easy to get:D:D

Tom

dcarrb 01-03-2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Second, the struts for the hood and the trunk are out of commission (well, the hood ones will work for about 2 minutes then go flat; I bet that's how the dent got there). Any idea where to find these?

Third, how do you know if there's an aftermarket (or factory) trnasmission cooler/filter? I'm slightly mechanically inclined, but not too terribly knowledgeable.

You can get the hood and trunk struts from Subaru. I don't believe there's a bolt-on aftermarket equivalent.

If you car has the Subaru transmission filter, it will be mounted inside the frame rail below the battery of the car; it looks like a fuel filter. If there's an external cooler, it's probably mounted between the radiator and AC condenser.

dcb

processengr 01-03-2008 07:21 AM

As for aftermarket hood struts, do a search, there are several cylinders for the hood, that can be adapted to fit easily...
There is no proven trunk aftermarket cylinder that I know of....
The oem trunk struts are about $44 each from places like 1st Subaru, etc.
Poor hood and trunk struts caused damage to both hood and lower part of trunk from slamming on my daughters car (replaced after the fact :( )

Zandar 01-03-2008 08:05 PM

Thanks, all! I'm off to go inspect/research. I'm sure I'll be back in no time with more questions (5/6 sp, stereos of choice, all sorts of other things I can't afford).

NikFu S. 01-04-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 518939)
5. No. In the event your SVX has to be parked for a while (tranny, wheel bearings, etc..) the withdrawl can be severe, and getting back in for the first drive will make you so jumpy no one will want to be around you for long:lol::D

I'm growing horns and very long teeth.