The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   wtb: fusible link svx (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37769)

kayvon 03-05-2007 03:00 PM

wtb: fusible link svx

1 Attachment(s)
My fusible link has burned out. The dealer does not carry any replacements. Does anybody here know where I could buy one. Or can give me some detail on how to make my own replacement? Thanks.

RSVX 03-05-2007 03:06 PM

I am thinking that we could use a bigger picture here... I cant quite make out what it is you need!

:D :D :D :D

Just get the proper guage wire and connectors at a stereo/auto store... if you take it with you they should help you readily.

nextse7en 03-05-2007 03:42 PM

5 bucks will get you all the material you would need to replace every fusible link in the car 10 times.

I dunno about that thur fancy black wrapping though.

ensteele 03-05-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextse7en
5 bucks will get you all the material you would need to replace every fusible link in the car 10 times.

I dunno about that thur fancy black wrapping though.

I'd use a straw from McDonalds for the wrap. :D :D

nextse7en 03-05-2007 04:34 PM

Food, folks, and faulty fusible link fires!

Francis 03-05-2007 06:31 PM

when i got my car stolen , they blew up the fusible link and put it back together by twisting in together...

i thought any fuse would work so i got to a big 40A fuse...it works ! , but got it was being hot ....so i had go to a auto place to buy a new one...about 10 bucks here (canada)

davew833 03-05-2007 07:31 PM

The fusible links have color-coded insulation on the wires-- looks like yours is green. The links are the same for most or all Subarus from about 1985 to 1994 or so, jut go to a wrecking yard and pull one the same color off an old GL or Loyale.

TomsSVX 03-05-2007 09:19 PM

actually that is the copper oxidizing.

tom

ensteele 03-05-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
actually that is the copper oxidizing.

tom

Oh! :eek: :eek: :o

rivman1243 03-06-2007 07:01 PM

you need to replace a fuseablink with a fuseable link. go to a good car parts store like carquest and you can buy fusablelink wire in rolls like all other types of wire. the size of fuseablelink guage that you use is 4x smaller than the wire that it connects. as an example for a 10 guage wire you would use a 14guage fuseable link. its also important that you get it as close to the same length as the original as possible. fuseablelinks are a slow burning fuse where as your fuses in your fuse panel are a fast burn type. thats why the length is important. to long and it wont burn up in time and will damage whatever it is supposed to protect.

Hocrest 03-12-2007 08:12 PM

Do you still need one of these??

PM me your address, and I'll toss one in the mail.

Phast SVX 03-12-2007 08:24 PM

before you just go replacing it, you need to find out what caused it. Remember, there is a short somewhere(unless you have hooked up the battery backwards..)

kayvon 03-12-2007 10:07 PM

Thanks all for the advice. I believe I know where the short is. No thanks to the rodent that got under my hood and chewed up some wires :mad: . I am gonna re-check my cables with the meter and the light tester, before I throw in a new fusible link.

Hocrest- I greatly appreciate your offer. If the fusible link that my brother has for me doesn't work out I will send you PM.

Suby Fan 03-13-2007 12:37 AM

ok when i did a fuseable link on a subaru i remember that i was able to make a new one using fuseable link wire avalable at any parts store, but i had problems with the spade connectors at the end of it because they are a metric size (being jap and all) and all napa had was standard sizes (being retarted and all) so i had to pry the spade connector off and reuse it... but it worked

for the wire figure out what the amperage of the link is suppose to be and follow what you read on the package for the rating of what your buying